topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 11:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Need a very simple group brainstorming site  (Read 9711 times)

gsull

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Need a very simple group brainstorming site
« on: January 09, 2007, 07:52 PM »
similar to http://www.besigner.com .

I want to work on some art projects with friends as ideas occur to us, and we need a forum or something with instant access to posting, and a decent way of organizing it.  Also, it shouldn't need a lot of permissions to post, as little a threshold to get to writing our thoughts down as possible.  Any ideas?  I'd use the besigner engine, but the author seems very hard to reach (no replies to my emails)

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Need a very simple group brainstorming site
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 09:37 PM »
Most forum makers offer some sort of free hosting, like Informe for phpbb http://informe.com/

Google Group might be enough http://groups-beta.g...groups/overview.html or a Yahoo Group http://groups.yahoo.com/

gsull

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 10:24 PM »
All of those are too complex.  Thanks for the suggestions, though. 

I want real bare-bones design and feature set.  It's basically a guestbook with some threading capabilities, that sorts newest threads/posts to the top.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 02:22 AM »
All of those are too complex.
:o If that's too complex I suggest you think about carrier pigeons ;D ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 03:35 AM »
I can definitely see classifying these are too complex in the sense that he just wants to be able to go to a site and create a super simple forum in a minute by filling out some quick details, which his friends can really quickly join, without having to worry about tons of settings.

Surely there are sites like this so let's hear some more suggestions.

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 04:34 AM »
Actually I find Yahoo Groups a bit confusing to use, dont know about setting it up - but a Google Group does not require more than a few clicks to get going. Not tons of important settings or many questions asked, once created there some options to modify looks/permissions. If only group/"forum" featues are used rest can be disabled/made invisible so simplicity is possible. Layout/managing/posting/reading/searching is about as simple as it gets. Probably less to worry about than on a hosted forum and they are not complicated.

May be not so bad to move above guestbook quality/features. "organizing" "project" "friends (members)" spell forum or a group thing. Made for this.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 05:01 PM »
similar to http://www.besigner.com .

I want to work on some art projects with friends as ideas occur to us, and we need a forum or something with instant access to posting, and a decent way of organizing it.  Also, it shouldn't need a lot of permissions to post, as little a threshold to get to writing our thoughts down as possible.  Any ideas?  I'd use the besigner engine, but the author seems very hard to reach (no replies to my emails)

I wrote some very simple PHP discussion boards I'd be willing to give you the source to. Alternately, you can use a very simple wiki-like interface known as Minki that was made by fellow DC Member Allen. I'll send you a link to my little PHP discussion boards in a private message as the only working example I have for it has information that wasn't intended for public viewing.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 05:13 PM »
I was also going to recommend you check into a wiki.

After checking out a bunch of wikis for very lightweight small group (2 people in this case) wiki for collaborating, and fell in love with DokuWiki, mainly for its simplicity and easy password protection:

http://www.splitbrai...rg/projects/dokuwiki

Note that this does *NOT* fulfill your request for threaded discussions.  It more like version controled page editing.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 05:16 PM »
Another thing:

Besigner.com looks like a regular blog with multiple people being able to access it. Why not sign up for a Blogger account and set permissions for your friends to all be able to post to it? Again this doesn't include threading, but it will give you pretty much everything you see as Besign.com

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 05:27 PM »
This may sound stupid, but you could just use pastebin. Nothing simpler, just make one first post, give the link to all of you, and then just post follow-ups on that same post. It doesn't have any permissions (although there's a way to make a private pastebin) and it doesn't have threading, but it's as simple as it gets ;)

gsull

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 05:54 PM »
Another thing:

Besigner.com looks like a regular blog with multiple people being able to access it. Why not sign up for a Blogger account and set permissions for your friends to all be able to post to it? Again this doesn't include threading, but it will give you pretty much everything you see as Besign.com

It's like a blog, but for one difference, which is what makes it perfect for me: the latest post sorts everything to the top.  This would be like Blogger bumping a blog post to the top again every time someone comments.

Thanks for the other suggestions, I'll take a look.

Google groups is better than I remember it being, but still a bit of a hassle to just invite people to on a whim.

gsull

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 05:56 PM »
Also, a wiki would seem to be a good fit, but I've tried before, and the housekeeping for messy edits becomes a hassle, and everything breaks down.  Also, each person formats their entries slightly differently, which makes it hard to scan.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 06:05 PM »
Also, a wiki would seem to be a good fit, but I've tried before, and the housekeeping for messy edits becomes a hassle, and everything breaks down.  Also, each person formats their entries slightly differently, which makes it hard to scan.

Did you look at Minki? It's unlike any other Wiki I've used in terms of simplicity and minimalistic functionality.

gsull

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 11:41 PM »
Maybe I'm using it wrong, but Minki seems pretty technically complicated.  Am I supposed to have to edit using the wiki-code?  That was the problem I had the last time I used a wiki.  People wouldn't format their posts, or they'd format them differently, and it would be hard to look at the site and instantly know what was new, and where the separate ideas were.

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 04:25 AM »
By the time you read this you could have send out 50 invitations  8) Fastest and easiest way of is jumping on ready to go stuff like Google/Yahoo/whatever Group thingy or fixed forum hosting like the one for phpbb etc. You cant go much above shoutbox level if you feel copy and pasting some email addresses is overkill. If you have own server and special needs there are probably better options, lots of scripts available. Not likely to be easier for you or members.

gsull

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 02:29 AM »
I found this:
http://www.getvanilla.com/

It's not exactly what I wanted, but it's closer than anything else I saw.