topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Automation Program  (Read 6471 times)

belkira

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Automation Program
« on: January 09, 2007, 02:54 PM »
I am looking for a piece of  software that can automate a few steps for me. I don't think a standard macro program will work but I could be wrong.

Here is my situation,

The company I work for sends out Fax broadcasts to their Alumni Association. The fax software has this nasty habit of stopping in the middle of its work so you have to restart it. The program does not actually close. What it does is you have the main windows open you goto Fax|Open Port which brings up a second window. In this second window you have to click on the Open button, it then starts the fax process.

Now when it stops working the second window that opened (above) closes but the main window does not have focus. So what I was thinking I would need was something that could see if both windows are open, if not give focus to the main window then run through the restart routine.

Anything like this exist?

Thanks

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Automation Program
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 06:45 PM »
You might look at Macro Express
http://www.macros.com/

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 07:23 PM »
if you're into scripts, give Autohotkey a try. :)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 07:48 PM »
I don't mean to be a smart ass, but why not just get a faxing application that works?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 08:43 PM »
I don't mean to be a smart ass, but why not just get a faxing application that works?
most probably the company that belkira works for, had signed a contract with a certain vendor who insist that only such and such programs may be used. so they're stuck with all this programs flaws & lack of updates.. my personal experience. :)

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 02:12 AM »
most probably the company that belkira works for, had signed a contract with a certain vendor who insist that only such and such programs may be used. so they're stuck with all this programs flaws & lack of updates.. my personal experience. :)

Or the IT department are a NO GO on corporate software suggestiions... my personal experience  :)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 02:16 AM »
I am looking for a piece of  software that can automate a few steps for me. I don't think a standard macro program will work but I could be wrong.
You probably are ;)

if you're into scripts, give Autohotkey a try. :)
I agree! To see what's possible, check out https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=1167.0 too!

belkira

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 10:12 AM »
Thanks!

It looks like AutoHotKey can do what I want. I am new to scripting and to AutoHotKey but I hope to have something working by the end of the day.

As to why not getting a different fax program, well the company I work for are cheapskates and what it done with what they have.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 10:31 PM »
The other benefit of using autohotkey is that there are some serious ahk coders here (especially skrommel) who will help you if you get stuck with something.