topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:06 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: bluetooth: folder browsing possible?  (Read 3493 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
bluetooth: folder browsing possible?
« on: September 03, 2014, 05:17 PM »
Can bluetooth be used to browse the folders of devices wirelessly?  Ultimately, can it be used to sync files in a directory back and forth?

I have tablets and phones that have bluetooth that I want syncing folders in places where wifi/cell is not available.  How can I do this?  The only way is bluetooth or something like wimax which I've never really tried.  The problem I am running into with bluetooth (using the CSR Harmony stack) is that it doesn't seem to be able to do any file transferring.  It has this feature called PAN (personal area network) but I don't know what the hell it does nor how it works.  I click on the PAN icon and it connects, but then what?  I don't see any folders to browse anywhere, or a drive/device that appears in my explorer.  It just connects and then nothing.  I don't get it.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: bluetooth: folder browsing possible?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 12:41 AM »
When I was living in the suburbs of Asuncion, I got a WiMax based connection to the internet. But that was directional antenna, mounted on a pole that was 5 meters high and fastened to the house.

I could be wrong, but I don't think WiMax was ever intended to make wireless connection over short distances.

For the rest, after you successfully connect to another device (be it by Bluetooth or something else) only the first layer of connection/communication is established. Now the software on the device you use as controller needs to be able to communicate with the software on the device that you want to control. If that is not the case...then the software on either the controller or the controlled can't communicate with the API's both devices have available. 

To my limited knowledge software can communicate through an API and options that can be offered to the user depend on the functionality encapsulated in that API. Not all are created equally, so mileage varies a lot. Take a look at the layers in the OSI model, then you will get a more clear picture of what is necessary before software is even able to communicate between devices.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 06:36 AM »
It has this feature called PAN (personal area network) but I don't know what the hell it does nor how it works.

PAN isn't a feature, it's a description of the Bluetooth network type - as opposed to LAN or WAN - a PAN has a maximum range of 3 meters ... Hence the Personal Area part of the name.

FWIW NFC (Near Field Communication) by design relies on Bluetooth to do its file transfers so you may have some luck exploring that angle.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 07:27 AM »
Your best alternative, and also the easiest, is to get a cheap 3G WiFi router and just not bother to put a SIM in it.
Instant portable WiFi HotSpot - I do this all the time with the added bonus of being able to use a SIM from whatever country I'm in to give internet access to my phone, tablet, and netbook.

Something like the TP-LINK TL-MR3020 which can usually be picked up for less than AU$30.

However, if all you want is a simple, cheap way to connect all your devices when there isn't a ready-made WiFi or mobile network available, a portable WiFi router is probably your best bet.

* I should point out that the TP-LINK TL-MR3020 requires an external 3G USB modem if you want that feature - I use a ZTE MF60 (integrated 3G modem).
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 08:20 AM by 4wd »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 03:02 PM »
Your best alternative, and also the easiest, is to get a cheap 3G WiFi router and just not bother to put a SIM in it.
Instant portable WiFi HotSpot - I do this all the time with the added bonus of being able to use a SIM from whatever country I'm in to give internet access to my phone, tablet, and netbook.

Something like the TP-LINK TL-MR3020 which can usually be picked up for less than AU$30.

However, if all you want is a simple, cheap way to connect all your devices when there isn't a ready-made WiFi or mobile network available, a portable WiFi router is probably your best bet.

* I should point out that the TP-LINK TL-MR3020 requires an external 3G USB modem if you want that feature - I use a ZTE MF60 (integrated 3G modem).
I never considered this!  brilliant, thanks!