ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How do you spend your time on the computer?

<< < (10/11) > >>

Darwin:
You're right, tinjaw. Unfortunately, my current project is so far removed from computing (though I am using a computer to do it!) that I'd never be allowed to switch to computer science (also don't have the background, sadly). I keep wondering if the university would just give me a PhD for time served! Nope. Apparently they feel that I should work on the project I outlined at the end of my first year. Hard asses!

Armando, I'm glad that you and  I (and mouser, vrgrrl and lilly to name but three others that I know of) are not alone. We're in good company, too, and we can look for inspiration to at least two people at donationcoder who have actually finished their PhD's - Zaine and Ken. Obviously, they've managed to balance a love for computers with their academic workloads, so it can be done!

cthorpe:
Recently, I have been hitting the web looking for useful software with developers that might consider discounts :).

Armando:
You're right, tinjaw. Unfortunately, my current project is so far removed from computing (though I am using a computer to do it!) that I'd never be allowed to switch to computer science (also don't have the background, sadly). I keep wondering if the university would just give me a PhD for time served! Nope. Apparently they feel that I should work on the project I outlined at the end of my first year. Hard asses! -Darwin (May 07, 2007, 03:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

;D ;D ;D

Armando, I'm glad that you and I (and mouser, vrgrrl and lilly to name but three others that I know of) are not alone. We're in good company, too, and we can look for inspiration to at least two people at donationcoder who have actually finished their PhD's - Zaine and Ken. Obviously, they've managed to balance a love for computers with their academic workloads, so it can be done!
-Darwin (May 07, 2007, 03:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good to here that.
I love computers too.  :-[
I'm thinking of taking a looooong break for the summer.

Working on a PhD thesis (theory of theatre ; now, that's useless) can be a pretty lonely walk. Not to mention that I'm not even sure I'm in the right domain anymore... (and... like you Darwin... I won't be able to switch to computer science.... or evolutionary psychology... or biology, or management... or all the other things I'd consider doing if I had five or six lives...).... and I'm tired of these French universities (I speak French myself; I'm from Quebec, canada's French province)... :)

More about all that later. I'm actually going to meet my thesis supervisor.

Armando:
Recently, I have been hitting the web looking for useful software with developers that might consider discounts :).
-cthorpe (May 09, 2007, 10:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good call !
Is the thread actually getting back on track ?  :)

urlwolf:
We're in good company, too, and we can look for inspiration to at least two people at donationcoder who have actually finished their PhD's - Zaine and Ken. Obviously, they've managed to balance a love for computers with their academic workloads, so it can be done!
--- End quote ---
Well, I have finished my PhD, but that doesn't mean that I have a good balance between my academic life and other activities (love for computers being one of them). If fact, I'd say that very few people achieve that balance, and it gets worse the more responsibility you have/older you get. If you don't believe me, just peruse threads in this forum:

http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php/board,33.0.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version