ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to remove shortcuts in IE & Explorer toolbars?

<< < (3/4) > >>

dk70:
No does not work that way. If author updates toolbar you will be notified and directed to the mentioned unique homepage for toolbar. Mozilla Add-on site interfered with that setup but never was important for updating - just a way of promoting toolbar. Another reason why they did not belong there, toolbar can be updated with potentially bad code regardless of it being on Add-on site.

Takes you 1-2 minutes to sign up at Conduit - 5 minutes more and you are toolbar author. Ive considered making one for some family members but since I dont trust stability 100% Ive avoided. But fun to experiment. As a communication tool it is nice alternative/addition to email, IM - if Mouser made a DC-bar he could send out messages, adjust menus to direct users to current relevant pages etc. Has a bit of everything, more than just some link buttons.

So you wont have any contact with Google either I guess? If you can live with toobar phoning home click stats then rest is just plain sharing of advertising revenue. How internet works and Conduit try to exploit it. Problem is if someone base whole toolbar on such "shared" links and not only the default Google box. Then it becomes a money machine and that is bad ;) Sure is if not transparent to users who benefits. Yesterday I was at another forum where someone asked for a program to make logos. Some clown posted a link to whatever program. Ok but link was not to program site but to his own where it could be bought through an affiliate deal = he gets 5$ or something. Stuff like that is evil noise and all over internet in some form or another. Of course maker of program has made up that deal, they are all for it. Question is how transparent money flow is to user. Could say "Support my wallet by buying clicking this link" or something. When not clear I assume something fishy is going on. Money overrules anything...

dk70:
Firefox and radio means Active-X plugin! Then you are doomed ;) May be not, from what I can tell Active-X plugin for Firefox is pretty safe and only useful for implementing Media Player functionality, not like you have IE inside. Probably some possible exploits I would imagine but dont worry too much about that.

Curt:
Takes you 1-2 minutes to sign up at Conduit - 5 minutes more and you are toolbar author. Ive considered making one for some family members but since I dont trust stability 100% Ive avoided. But fun to experiment. -dk70 (February 10, 2007, 04:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't understand how you can tell all this about Conduit, and then say that it could be fun to use their program to author a toolbar. If you do so, all the bad stuff would follow, wouldn't it? They don't give a you toolbar for free without incorporating what it is all about to them ("Money overrules anything..."), do they? I can't imagine.

What goes for the ActiveX, well, I'm not too sure what to think of it, which is why I have so many security related programs to watch over me...

dk70:
Well what you get out of the box I can live with. That is Google search box and the phoning home. Would be happier without both but then no toolbar. Rest is your contribution. What you can "blaim" Conduit for is default not users creativity. They have no worries offering that 5000$ award. Ive heard all the arguments of "unique toolbar ID and click tracking equals spying" - BS for all I know. When you make a toolbar you also get access to a page full of stats - which is what tracking is used for. Also for setting up chat, sending out messages through their servers, updating. Some feature simply requires identification. Many services you sign up for have some personal information, like Google of course. They all claim/promise not to misuse that info. Words. What it comes down to is history/trust. Has Conduit, or Google for that matter, ever been in trouble? Eh, Conduit do have a dark history but has seen the light. Relationship between toolbars and spamming/spyware (look them up, old name EFFECTIVEBRAND) is of no importance Im sure ;)

Also note that no AV/Spyware company have Conduit toolbar in their database, not a current version  Code is clean as you also say. Does not mean all content is or that it runs smoothly.

About the advertising I have the feeling most either dont care about who gets a cut or are in the game them self. I hate all that, including stupid ads on majority of sites/blogs. I block them with pleasure. When they serve a purpose like supporting a site and not just attempts to earn easy money Im all for it. Not really any use in fighting ads in general is there? So a DC toolbar would be ok. No matter how that would turn out Conduit will smile since they have share in EVERY Google result page! DC bar could use own links/deals to other search services. Conduit want to cover them self and so Google box is a requirement. Im not updated on latest Conduit news, may be they have changed policy but be sure they will always benefit. The more users the more benefits and why promotion is so important.

Curt:
Conduit .. have share in EVERY Google result page! -dk70 (February 10, 2007, 04:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hmmm... sounds if they might be quite welthy...

I don't have a Google toolbar, and was of course thinking that any 'DC toolbar' should be made without using Conduit tecnic, if possible. Isn't my FoxyTunes toolbar such a thing? I don't know - never thought about it before.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version