ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Jay is Games Flash Competition 2: Need Ideas!

<< < (3/6) > >>

Deozaan:
This is true. But then time would need to be devoted to designing a level editor anybody can use. Not that that's a bad thing, but considering time restraints, might not be plausible. Of course, if we do a level based game and want to include tons of levels we'd probably want to design a level editor that's easy to use anyway. It's something I'll be sure to keep in mind.

jgpaiva:
Deozaan: This is donationcoder, i don't think that a gui, help file, and all that paraphernalia would be needed, i guess that only some .ini file with places where to put bad guys would be enough for the people here to do some cool stuff ;)

tinjaw:
Maybe I could work on a level editor in parallel. If I could get it done in time, great, but if not, it would at least allow Deozaan to concentrate on the core game.

mouser:
I agree with jgpaiva.  Also I would suggest that you could use one of the existing free map/level editors to edit levels (TileStudio, Mappy, etc).

Deozaan:
Deozaan: This is donationcoder, i don't think that a gui, help file, and all that paraphernalia would be needed, i guess that only some .ini file with places where to put bad guys would be enough for the people here to do some cool stuff ;)
-jgpaiva (January 05, 2007, 12:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

It is true that many members here can do some coding. I can, too, but doing it with just a text file sounds difficult for me to figure out. I did read about making a tile-based map in a game, so I know I could program it. But actually making the levels using only text? I need pictures!

I agree with jgpaiva.  Also I would suggest that you could use one of the existing free map/level editors to edit levels (TileStudio, Mappy, etc).
-mouser (January 05, 2007, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know how those editors work. Do they just create a text file based on the graphics included in the setup? Got links to the sites so I can read more about them?

Maybe I could work on a level editor in parallel. If I could get it done in time, great, but if not, it would at least allow Deozaan to concentrate on the core game.-tinjaw (January 05, 2007, 12:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think I might prefer more help with the core game for the duration of the contest. After the contest ends we could always add more features and expand it. That's how real game developers make games, isn't it? They make the version they need to before the deadline and then make a sequel and add all the things they wanted in the first place. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version