ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > SMF Forum Mods

Global Quoting mod

<< < (2/3) > >>

app103:

Hi App,

For my benefit could you please explain how it makes sense?

Thank you,
'steader
-Farmsteader (January 21, 2007, 06:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

In order to make this easier to understand, I'll have to explain a little something that may seem a bit unrelated at first, but in the end will make it easier for you to understand what the directions of the arrows mean:

The average chat client for online chat (IRC, etc) has a userlist located on the right side-->

I am a regular in a few Italian chatrooms. It is a custom of Italians to say they are away by just simply typing "<<"...which is the opposite direction of the userlist, meaning they are not really here.

When they come back they type ">>" which points at the userlist, meaning they are here.

To illustrate and for you to see this in action, I have screen captured a bit from an italian chatroom that I am a regular in:

In this screenshot, the 3 guys have said their goodnights and are gone..2 having left the room, but one has not, but he has gone to bed, so he's not here, even though his name remains on the userlist.

<< = not here
>> = here

When gri uses "<<" he means to go to the link and talk about it there (not here)

When gri uses ">>" he means to go to the link and talk about it here.

>winding< means related topics to current discussion...they could be anywhere...and you can reply at either/or. But to keep up with what is going on in the full conversation, you'd have to subscribe to be notified when there is a post at both, otherwise you could lose half the conversation. Note that the arrows in it point to both 'here' and 'not here'.

It's sort of like when 2 threads are started on a forum with a related discussion and you end up quoting yourself from one thread to the other and you have to keep reading both to stay up to date with the conversation. If it was simply stated at some point that they are related, then a forum mod could merge them. But if the discussions occur on 2 different forums, you can't merge them.

Understanding Italian chat code made it very easy for me to understand gri's code. There are those that thought it was backwards, but it's not.

CodeTRUCKER:
Now that you have explained this it makes more sense.  Thanks.

gri:

Reply at DonationCoder winding topic -
         was it very hard to provide the initial conditions
         for not having further gri's posts
                        at DonationCoder ?
-[url=http://gri.sunshinehost.net/index.php?topic=113.msg178#msg178][size=2][u]gri in ~Voice of Truth~[/u][/size][/url]
--- End quote ---

And discuss the errors with mouser.

CodeTRUCKER:
Maybe it would be better to not try this style out here?  Maybe the best thing would be to learn how things need to be done here (like they have been)?  I'm not that particular myself, but there are many here that really would like to see "outsiders" take their ideas elsewhere.

nudone:
ha, brilliant.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version