topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Anyone know about installing Ubuntu Linux on a new machine  (Read 3785 times)

Weedonald

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Anyone know about installing Ubuntu Linux on a new machine
« on: January 02, 2007, 05:29 PM »
Hello amigos,
                   I have just bought a new computer, a powerful and leading edge machine for graphics and 3D work. However one of the mistakes I made was to decide not to have an OS preinstalled, since I wanted to try Ubuntu Linux and had my original XP pro disks if that didn't work out. Well, my mistake!
I tried to install Linux Ubuntu 5.01 but it won't install,saying the Xwindow system failefd to start (Xserver) and that it is disabled! I have never used this system before and when I spoke to Ubbntu, they recommended I try a more recent version of Ubuntu (6.02). I downloaded it but it won't install! When I tried to install XP pro it says the PCI.sys file is not functioning and won't install either!!!! >:(

Here is my stsem config:

Intel motherboard3.4 ghertz
Intel CPU dual core
ATI Radeon card with 512 mb(crossfire ready)
1 mg DDR2 ram
DVD 16x RW
3.5 floppy
SATA 300 gb HD

Any suggestions to resolve these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Weedonald

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Anyone know about installing Ubuntu Linux on a new machine
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 05:47 PM »
I'm sure that Ubuntu will install, you just have to get the correct video drivers. If you have 6.x, then work with that.

Start a fresh install and when it gets to the first prompt you can hit the function keys for help. There will be options to override the autodetection of various hardware. Try starting with the generic VESA driver and see how that goes. If that doesn't work, I can help you and we can get you going. We'll probably have to do some searching to see what driver people have been able to get running with your video card.

Also, what is your experience level with Linux?

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 07:29 PM »
... and what is the new error when installing Ubuntu 6.02?
I've heard of some ATI cards being buggy with Linux. Be assured, it is the default driver, not Linux. Tinjaw's suggestion to use the VESA driver is a good one. It will at least let you use the machine until a suitable driver can be installed.

official bug report and a solution:
https://launchpad.ne...urce/mesa/+bug/36222

ATI's Release notes:
https://a248.e.akama...ux/linux_8.29.6.html

an old, but long thread with some suggestions:
http://www.ubuntufor...dex.php/t-75007.html

short thread with some more suggestions:
http://www.linuxques...wthread.php?t=447635

hope this helps...

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 07:07 AM »
Also check out the Ubuntu Starter Guide which outlines a host of articles and notes on specific installation help.

Weedonald

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 08:28 AM »
Thanks everyone who replied...I will try any solution that is plausible and manageable. I am a total neophyte with Linux and about intermediate skill lelvl with XP pro but this new system is light years ahead of my old one so your assistance is greatly appreciated! Hope everyone had a great holiday and weren;t too snowed in! We don;t get snow in Queretaro, only lots of sun.

Don :-*