topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 1:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SandBoxie! Best Security Tool 2007?  (Read 11344 times)

SexyLilDarkPaw

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SandBoxie! Best Security Tool 2007?
« on: January 02, 2007, 02:17 PM »
I would write a review but i dont know where to begin, it isntalls system drivers that allow redirection of files and registry keys it makes a virtual environment (sandbox) that you can run your browser in, or test an application in development, or even run malware or viruses without consequences.  Once you are done testing or installing possible security threats you empty the sandbox and no changes were done to your registry or file system.  Also has the option to move/save files you like from the sandbox. 

http://www.sandboxie.com/

^_^ its Totally free but the free version limits your number of sandboxes,.. so you cant test things in separate areas without having files interfere with others results.  If you jsut want it to secure your browser or test possibly dangerous apps its great you only need one box.  =) best of all if you run say virus.exe in sandbox from your rightclick menu and it deletes all your windows folder or overwrites files, the originals are unharmed it uses the file system drivers to redirect to the sandbox where they are null =o its awesome i been using it for like a week now installed and uninstalled MANY programs and cleared my box with no consequences.  I also ran some viruses on purpose to see how it helps =).

(Only problems MSI support isnt the best just yet, and i have to clear my System Events Logs at startup for it to work, thats easy stuff though. =) Let me know what you all thinks, and if you can see any flaws in the concept.  As for me i think its gonna be one of my more used tools =P)

Anyways Love you DonationCoders, happy 2007

Your Friend, Felicia
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 02:20 PM by SexyLilDarkPaw »

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SandBoxie! Best Security Tool 2007?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 02:40 PM »
If you need help with the reviews, anyone can help... just ask.  :)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 01:51 AM by CodeTRUCKER »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 05:29 PM »
Nice, I didn't know about the templates!

Btw,
or even run malware or viruses without consequences.
-SexyLilDarkPaw
Still be careful though - while this is what sandboxie is designed for, and it seems very good at it, sometimes bugs are found that allows malware to break out of sandboxes. If you're actually doing malware research, it's still safest to use a dedicated computer or full virtualization like vmware.

As a tool to make web surfing safer and app testing less hassle free, sandboxie does seem like a win, though!
- carpe noctem

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 05:50 PM »
I still prefer a virtual machine like VirtualPC or VmWare for real safety.

AdIyhc

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • aka KikiBibi
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 07:40 PM »
Conflict with my AVG Firewall. Can't access the internet when using sandboxed browser.
Best security indeed, I can't surf the net at all.

SexyLilDarkPaw

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 12:23 PM »
Greets Farmsteader,

Thanks for the encouragement.  I think i would love to write some reviews and give back to the community.  I have tons of great software thats free or open source, and not enough people know about them =p.

to f0dder: I can show you screenshots it actually hooks into system drivers and detects everything it has a virtual registry and filesystem and it isolates everything coming in or out, as well as it copies any file into the sandbox if a program plans to modify it.  Im not gonna say a bug or bypass is impossible but its going to be tough.  I found even if you kill the sandbox control process its still got the drivers loaded into windows so your program still runs protected.  I will do more research though.

to Mouser: QEMU! Its free, very tiny =) and opensource from what i have heard.  You may look into QemuMenu, or QemuManager for making it easier so you dont have to script it all out in command line, the GUI is helpful ^^ It works exactly like virtual pc and vmware except you support nice people like DonationCoders through using it instead of mass faceless corporations O_o lol.  And honestly Sandbox's are a pretty much the same as Virtual PC just overlapping your real operating system so you dont have to run a second one in another window and waste precious resources.  Virtual PC's are more for testing with OS's you don't have installed in my opinion.  =) but hey w/e works i just like to keep an open mind,  because =) there is always something smaller and better ;).  You know it's true because DonationCoders has made most of the stuff thats smaller and better =).

to AdIyhc: That might be AVG's fault too though, If it goes through the filter before/after IE accesses the net avg may think the browser has been hijacked. I will look into your problem though.
Leave some Details (os/version,avg version,browser) ect,.. =) Without details you can't get your problem fixed.

To all: course nothing is perfect but i don't aim to be super paranoid and hide in a virtual box =p I want speed, and functions.  Run some files, test programs and then wipe the slate clean. =)  I have recently found a few other apps that work similiarly with different abilities =) so i will prolly do an All-in-One type review /comparison.  If you want i will do screenshots and videos. :Thmbsup:

P.S. I will try to do a review on qemu too =) Also if you want to delete this i will put the reviews in the proper forum threads ;)

ttyl Felicia =)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 12:27 PM by SexyLilDarkPaw »

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 12:38 PM »
i will prolly do an All-in-One type review /comparison.
-SexyLilDarkPaw (January 04, 2007, 12:23 PM)

I'm looking forward to this...

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 03:11 PM »
SexyLilDarkPaw: iirc there was a break-out bug for sandboxie that was fixed - so it might happen again. Never feel too safe! Heck, it might even be possible with VMWare since it tries to run as much code natively as possible for speed reasons, I've never heard of a break-out though.

QEMU is nice, but somewhat slower than vmware - there's an "acceleration module" for it that used to be closed but iirc was opened up, haven't gotten around to testing it yet. Some linux people say it causes kernel panic for them, *shrug*.

I'll have to check out sandboxie myself one of these days, it does sound like a nifty way to check out new software without the hassle of a full VM :)
- carpe noctem

SexyLilDarkPaw

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 03:23 PM »
Hey don't get me wrong people im not saying its gonna solve all your problems, im just saying it is a great assist to your existing tools. =P

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 05:34 PM »
When I get my new laptop next week  8) I'll definitely install Sandboxie! I check out new software all the time, and leave tons of crap on my hard drive, so I think a sandbox would be something I'd need!

Looking forward to more reviews, SexyLilDarkPaw!

AdIyhc

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • aka KikiBibi
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 08:23 PM »

to AdIyhc: That might be AVG's fault too though, If it goes through the filter before/after IE accesses the net avg may think the browser has been hijacked. I will look into your problem though.
Leave some Details (os/version,avg version,browser) ect,.. =) Without details you can't get your problem fixed.

-SexyLilDarkPaw (January 04, 2007, 12:23 PM)

OS - Windows MCE 2005
AVG IS - 7.5.433
Browser - IE 7/FireFox 2.0

Hope this info can be of help. :D
And thanks for looking into it.