ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SandBoxie! Best Security Tool 2007?

(1/3) > >>

SexyLilDarkPaw:
I would write a review but i dont know where to begin, it isntalls system drivers that allow redirection of files and registry keys it makes a virtual environment (sandbox) that you can run your browser in, or test an application in development, or even run malware or viruses without consequences.  Once you are done testing or installing possible security threats you empty the sandbox and no changes were done to your registry or file system.  Also has the option to move/save files you like from the sandbox. 

http://www.sandboxie.com/

^_^ its Totally free but the free version limits your number of sandboxes,.. so you cant test things in separate areas without having files interfere with others results.  If you jsut want it to secure your browser or test possibly dangerous apps its great you only need one box.  =) best of all if you run say virus.exe in sandbox from your rightclick menu and it deletes all your windows folder or overwrites files, the originals are unharmed it uses the file system drivers to redirect to the sandbox where they are null =o its awesome i been using it for like a week now installed and uninstalled MANY programs and cleared my box with no consequences.  I also ran some viruses on purpose to see how it helps =).

(Only problems MSI support isnt the best just yet, and i have to clear my System Events Logs at startup for it to work, thats easy stuff though. =) Let me know what you all thinks, and if you can see any flaws in the concept.  As for me i think its gonna be one of my more used tools =P)

Anyways Love you DonationCoders, happy 2007

Your Friend, Felicia

CodeTRUCKER:
If you need help with the reviews, anyone can help... just ask.  :)

f0dder:
Nice, I didn't know about the templates!

Btw,
or even run malware or viruses without consequences.
-SexyLilDarkPaw
--- End quote ---
Still be careful though - while this is what sandboxie is designed for, and it seems very good at it, sometimes bugs are found that allows malware to break out of sandboxes. If you're actually doing malware research, it's still safest to use a dedicated computer or full virtualization like vmware.

As a tool to make web surfing safer and app testing less hassle free, sandboxie does seem like a win, though!

mouser:
I still prefer a virtual machine like VirtualPC or VmWare for real safety.

AdIyhc:
Conflict with my AVG Firewall. Can't access the internet when using sandboxed browser.
Best security indeed, I can't surf the net at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version