topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: DC Forum Post Notifier Lite (a.k.a. Pop-Up Cody) - v1.1.6 - May 21, 2007  (Read 113304 times)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FYI -  I have been testing this today and sometimes it does grab focus.  It just happened as I was typing in UltraEdit Studio and no more letters went to the screen eventhough I was still typing.  Earlier today this did not happen.  I couldn't see what I was typing, but when the slide faded I could see what I had typed.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 07:19 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Two there should be; no more, no less.
    • View Profile
    • FreeThesaurus.net - The Free Online Synonym Finder
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
FYI -  I have been testing this today and sometimes it does grab focus.  It just happened as I was typing in UltraEdit Studio and no more letters went to the screen eventhough I was still typing.  Earlier today this did not happen.  I couldn't see what I was typing, but when the slide faded I could see what I had typed.

Maybe it was because I set the window to be "on the top"

Code: vb.net [Select]
  1. Me.Topmost = True

I set the value back to false in 1.1.20 (just uploaded), could you help me test it to see if it still might suddenly grab focus? Thx!  :Thmbsup:

btw, I will start working on the PRO version very soon (I have to! :P), you'll see some hotkey options in it. Also plz feel 100% free to let me what other features you would like to see in the PRO version (anything!)

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Okay in that case it must be a proxy issue, because here at work I'm not getting notified of new posts either... At home it worked :(

Any chance your app can be made to configure the use of a proxy server with authentication?

Thanks Ruffnekk! :Thmbsup: I really should have thought of situations where ppl connect to the net via proxy servers.  :-[

Check out the new version:

1.1.25    Connect to the Internet via proxy/no-proxy based on Internet Explorer settings

Lemme know if it doesn't work for you. :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
great stuff mobysaurus  :up:

I really like the interface,
but because at times I'm repeatedly away from the computer for short spells, I then dont know have I missed new posts or not -

I'm wondering:
is there already an option i missed out on that would help, or
have other people this problem & have solution/ideas ??
or, e.g.
would it be possible or what would you think of an option to show it as a minimizable window - I mean from the point of view of being able to Alt-Tab to it & then check recent posts -
if I am staying at computer I could minimize it to system tray - then maybe a hotkey to bring it up as a window if I'm coming & going ?

or is there some other way?

Tom
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 02:18 AM by tomos »

Ruffnekk

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Uhm yeah...
    • View Profile
    • RuffNekk's Crypto Pages
    • Donate to Member
Thanks Ruffnekk! :Thmbsup: I really should have thought of situations where ppl connect to the net via proxy servers.  :-[

Check out the new version:

1.1.25    Connect to the Internet via proxy/no-proxy based on Internet Explorer settings

Lemme know if it doesn't work for you. :)

I've downloaded 1.1.25 but it doesn't work yet. Should it detect settings automatically?
Regards,
RuffNekk

Programming is an art form that fights back.

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've downloaded 1.1.25 but it doesn't work yet. Should it detect settings automatically?

Try the new 1.1.30, Ruffnekk. I confused WebRequest.Proxy with HttpWebRequest.Proxy in ver 1.1.25. Mea maxima culpa. :(

(I could have tested the proxy function more thoroughly but I just couldn't find a good Socks 4/5 proxy. >:()

btw, I think 1.1.30 looks really good with the support for DC CSS stylesheet!  :-*  :P

Screenshot - 3_01_2007 , 9_17_55 PM.png

Ruffnekk

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Uhm yeah...
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Okay I will try it in anxious anticipation :P
Regards,
RuffNekk

Ruffnekk

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Uhm yeah...
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I fear the worst... still nothing happens when I click 'Show recent posts'. Can someone reply to this topic pls so I can check it properly?  :up:
Regards,
RuffNekk

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
reply   :D
Tom

Ruffnekk

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Uhm yeah...
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
lol Thanks tomos. Unfortunately I was only notified by mail  :(
Regards,
RuffNekk

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
lol Thanks tomos. Unfortunately I was only notified by mail  :(

Ruffnekk, can you give me a sc of your Internet Explorer proxy settings? :)

Ruffnekk

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Uhm yeah...
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ruffnekk, can you give me a sc of your Internet Explorer proxy settings? :)

But of course :)

Proxy1.pngDC Forum Post Notifier Lite (a.k.a. Pop-Up Cody) - v1.1.6 - May 21, 2007

Proxy2.pngDC Forum Post Notifier Lite (a.k.a. Pop-Up Cody) - v1.1.6 - May 21, 2007

I blurred the name, I figure you won't need it anyways... BTW, if you need help coding the Proxy part in VB I might be able to help out as well.

[edit]
Looking at my own screenshots, a HTTP proxy will suffice I think...  :huh:
[/edit]
Regards,
RuffNekk

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks Ruffnekk, a good http proxy is much much easier to find! yay!

I tested Moby the notifier with a working http proxy set up in Internet Explorer 6

dcnotifier_ie.pngDC Forum Post Notifier Lite (a.k.a. Pop-Up Cody) - v1.1.6 - May 21, 2007

It worked, but this alone would not at all prove that the notifier connected via proxy since I always have direct connection to the net.

Then I changed the proxy to an unknown IP and afterwards the notifier refused to show anything (Show Recent Posts = nothing).

Anyone here willing to test this out for us? Thanks in advance!  :Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
would it be possible or what would you think of an option to show it as a minimizable window - I mean from the point of view of being able to Alt-Tab to it & then check recent posts -
if I am staying at computer I could minimize it to system tray - then maybe a hotkey to bring it up as a window if I'm coming & going ?
-tom

I was thinking very complicated there !  :)

A universal hotkey to bring up recent posts would cover it - think you were probably considering that anyways
Tom

Arjen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Codingspace.org
    • Donate to Member
I've taken the liberty to reply to your message here:

First I have to identify+replicate the problem I think so I could then test the app against it. Could you send a sc of your excel (2000/2003/2007?) formula editing situation to me if possible? :)

It's hardly worth a screenshot really - just start up Excel, click a cell and start typing (*) - but here is one anyway:

Screenshot - 3-1-2007 , 15_39_46.png

(*) And then wait for someone to post on the DC forum. :-}
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 08:53 AM by Arjen »

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
but because at times I'm repeatedly away from the computer for short spells, I then dont know have I missed new posts or not -

I'm wondering:
is there already an option i missed out on that would help, or
have other people this problem & have solution/ideas ??

Thanks tomos. :)

I think the problem here lies in how we can effectively determine "missed notifications". Imagine the user sits right before his display when the notifier pops up, he was staring at his monitor, probably daydreaming and then only scans a few words on it and decides to ignore it, letting it automatically fade out.

Is the notification missed? Or is there a way that we can decide the person really did not see the notification?

Maybe one of the criteria could be "no keyboard/mouse activity for ## seconds", same way how screen savers work. What do you think?  :)

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's hardly worth a screenshot really - just start up Excel, click a cell and start typing (*) - but here is one anyway:

I know it was kinda a silly question. But I did test it with my Excel 2007 after u reported the problem, and I failed to reproduce the problem by simply doing formula editing in cells. So I thought u could be referring to some other advanced editing environment.  ;)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think the problem here lies in how we can effectively determine "missed notifications". Imagine the user sits right before his display when the notifier pops up, he was staring at his monitor, probably daydreaming and then only scans a few words on it and decides to ignore it, letting it automatically fade out.
Maybe one of the criteria could be "no keyboard/mouse activity for ## seconds", same way how screen savers work. What do you think? 
-mobysaurus
on thinking about it i think theres too many variables (for me at any rate :-\ )

I think if it was available I would use a universal hotkey to bring up the popup showing recent posts (i.e. preferably directly to the recent posts) & I probably wouldnt bother with anything else

also, for example, a couple of times today I happened to hit return as a new post was materialising in the corner - it disappears - then the hotkey would come to the rescue again  :D

I havent read the full thread so it may have been suggested already:
possibility of changing number of recent posts would be nice.

ta, tom
Tom

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
-tom

I was thinking very complicated there !  :)

A universal hotkey to bring up recent posts would cover it - think you were probably considering that anyways

I think ppl will love to see it in the Pro ver.  Added to my to-do list. :D

Also I like this "recent posts preview" idea -

The notifier displays a number of recent posts in a pop-up window upon user request and when it detects mouse hovering on the title bar of one of the posts, it shows the content of the post in a floating window and closes the window when the cursor moves out of the area. In a word, shrink and expand.

Spoiler
It shows and hides like this but you don't have to click anything  ;D

any idea? :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The notifier displays a number of recent posts in a pop-up window upon user request and when it detects mouse hovering on the title bar of one of the posts, it shows the content of the post in a floating window and closes the window when the cursor moves out of the area. In a word, shrink and expand.
any idea?  :)

great idea
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Boo! This doesn't work at my work! It pops up an error report window like sending a report to Microsoft except it asks to send it to my IT department.

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Boo! This doesn't work at my work! It pops up an error report window like sending a report to Microsoft except it asks to send it to my IT department.

Deozaan did it crash on load?  :o

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Deozaan did it crash on load?  :o

Yes, multiple times. :( Works fine at home.  :Thmbsup:

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've been silent, but I've been using it!  Two issues, probably not new, but still a problem...
  • It keeps bypassing my proxy - need proxy dialog?
  • Steals focus - yes/no/sometimes... I know this doesn't help much, but this IS what is happening.  Seems like it did not used to so this,but then it started??

I have been holding back from writing because I was waiting for a pattern to emerge.  None has, except now it is to the point where it grabs focus every time.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 07:18 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yep indeed it's grabbing focus sometimes - like when i was typing in xchat today. >:(

Gotta look into it.