topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: DC Forum Post Notifier Lite (a.k.a. Pop-Up Cody) - v1.1.6 - May 21, 2007  (Read 113306 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wordzilla, how about a link from the notifier back to this thread so that we can post comments/feature requests/bugs much easily.. :) btw, what does "Read Abridged Posts Only" mean?

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Two there should be; no more, no less.
    • View Profile
    • FreeThesaurus.net - The Free Online Synonym Finder
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
how about a link from the notifier back to this thread so that we can post comments/feature requests/bugs much easily.

Just click on "Check for Updates [v x.x.x.x]".  ;)

btw, what does "Read Abridged Posts Only" mean?

You know DC Post Notifier works by checking and loading one of the DC forum RSS feeds (https://www.donation...l;type=rss2;limit=10). The body text of an RSS feed (in this case, forum post text) is usually abridged (i.e. cut off after X number of characters) for bandwidth saving and readability. For example, "lanux128" -> "lanu...".

However, since the notifier is for DC geeks like you and me 8), there goes the option of "Read Abridged Posts Only". When it's unchecked, we get to read full-length forum posts ("lanux128") instead of abridged ones ("lanu..."). For me often I'm too lazy to open up a new browser window to "read the rest of the story", so I just go through everything in the notifier.

The option will not affect the idle bandwidth usage of the notifier, which consumes around max 2kb per minute when you set checking interval to every 15 seconds.

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Could you make it somehow that I could switch between:

The problem here is the function only works when the notifier gets to log in your personal forum account (with your forum username+password), synchronize cookies and session info with your main browser, and click buttons (e.g. "Mark as read") for you like a robot. I'm not sure if it's practical to code these functions, though I'll certainly explore more. :)

One major drawback of letting the notifier get into your forum account is - you will be shown as "online" on the forum front page 24/7!  ;D

Maybe by allowing us experts to change the RSS feed the notifications are based on? (don't know if that would work)

Yes that won't be too hard. Lemme see what I can do.  :)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Maybe by allowing us experts to change the RSS feed the notifications are based on? (don't know if that would work)

Yes that won't be too hard. Lemme see what I can do.  :)

If you do this, would that mean that the popups would work with any smf forum's feed and not just DC's? (I know the extras would still be based on DC's forum)

How possible would it be to have more than 1 feed url? That way you could keep an eye on just the sections you want on DC's forum...or keep an eye on everything from DC and another smf forum.

(I am just thinking of ways this could be useful outside of DC and have a wider appeal.)

Maybe this is something you could think about for the pro version.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
thanks for the details, Wordzila.. :Thmbsup: now, that's one option that i won't be using.. :)

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Check out the new notifier v1.1.6!

Every time a user posts on the forum, it displays poster and topic info so you don't have to open new browser window any more in order to view his profile .  8)

Screenshot - 21_05_2007 , 9_54_36 PM.png

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Great work, Wordzilla...
I'd like to join mouser in his proposal of making this a general notifier for SMF (at least those that have RSS implemented).
Or maybe even other forum types (vBulleting, PHPbb)...

I think you could make it so that a 'paid' version worked with any  forum that implements RSS. Not sure how demanding that might be though.

Thanks

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wordzilla: another feature request from me, how about a custom browser option? sometimes when i'm trouble-shooting someone else's PC, i'd load DCPostNotifier from my thumb drive and prefer links to be opened from portable Firefox. :)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DC Forum Post Notifier Lite (a.k.a. Pop-Up Cody) - v1.1.6 - May 21, 2007
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2008, 07:07 PM »
Any updates or anything on this? Dead project?

It would be nice to have member map info and whatnot, kind of outdated :-\

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
this project has been dormant for some time.. any chances of reviving this to include some updated features? where is wordzilla anyway?

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am not sure if he has a copy of it or the source any more. From what I understand, the project is pretty much dead.

Any hopes of reviving it would mean someone else would have to completely recreate it from scratch.

At least this is what I have been made to believe.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i wasn't aware of this.. what happened - hard-disk crash?

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I don't know. Maybe he lost it, misplaced it, deleted it...or Wordzilla could have been infected with the "I don't want to code any more" virus. I have seen that happen to coders before. It's usually fatal to one or more projects.  :(

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hmm.. that's very sad but i guess an RSS feed reader would be the next best alternative..