topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:44 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: webhost DNS  (Read 3990 times)

jamjam153

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
webhost DNS
« on: December 30, 2006, 11:33 PM »
I am new here and could not find anywhere else to put this. I have my own domain name hosted with a webhost that does not allow me to change the dns setting like a records, or mx records and wanted to know if there was a way I could point my domain name to another dns host and still keep my same webhost. that way I could use email which they don't allow either.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: webhost DNS
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 12:45 AM »
Yes, you can do this. It may seem a bit complicated at first, but once you do it, it becomes second nature.

* You registered a domain name and that company is the one that controls what is entered as the name servers for that domain.
* You need to get your own name servers. Either use some free ones, rent some, or run your own.
* You can then create all the A, MX, CNAME, etc. records you need to point to the servers/services/hosting providers you have.

If you PM me, I can help you with any of this. I do this all the time.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 04:46 AM »
another piece of advice:
if you have a domain name from a registrar that doesnt let you change dns settings, etc. then move it to one that does - there is no excuse for that.

jamjam153

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 03:01 PM »
mouser registers usually don't do dns do they? they just hold your domain name and point it to a dns server to take care of all the routing which in my case I am pointing it my my webhost and they don't let there users change the dns settings so I can't change the mx records or add any a records

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 05:57 PM »
hmm well i must admin i hate nameserver stuff and am largely ignorant of it.
I guess you are asking for something more than having a registrar that lets you set the dns servers for each domain name?
You are wanting to customize mx records not on the registrar end but on the web server hosting end? Not sure why you would do that, but i guess its only available if you have a substantial hosting account..

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 06:36 PM »
not all registrars offer custom DNS services. Things are changing as things get more competitive.

I got your PM, jamjam153. I'll get to it soon. No time now. Working on my game. I'm only here during a build break and a snack. :-)