topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Smile Inducer 2007 : Project Withdrawn - January 10, 2007  (Read 21075 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Smile Inducer 2007 : Project Withdrawn - January 10, 2007
« on: December 30, 2006, 08:31 AM »
Smile Inducer 2007 : Project Withdrawn - January 10, 2007

Please see reason here.

PREVIOUS RELEASES:
v1.0.0.0 - December 31, 2006

• First public release.
  • Features a mood based timer.

WHAT IT DOES:

Helps fight depression by giving you reasons to smile.

The more depressed you are, the more frequently you are given 'smiles'.

Just click the face that corresponds to your current mood.

SCREENSHOT:
screenshot.pngSmile Inducer 2007 : Project Withdrawn - January 10, 2007
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 04:43 AM by app103 »

Arjen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Codingspace.org
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Smile Inducer 2007 : PreRelease Info - December 30, 2006
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 08:37 AM »
Cool!  :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: Smile Inducer 2007 : v1.0.0.0 - December 31, 2006
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 08:24 AM »
This seems really fun..
Can you give us little background on the rules, where the images come from, etc.  What are the timer settings, etc.
A little README maybe?

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Smile Inducer 2007 : v1.0.0.0 - December 31, 2006
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 04:36 AM »
This project may have been called Smile Inducer 2007, but I sincerely doubt it has made anybody really smile...especially me.

I regard it as a coding disaster and I sincerely apologize to the 97 people that have downloaded it.

I would like to kill this project and send it to my recycle bin.

I don't want to feel obligated to support this disaster and make improvements to it till the release of Smile Inducer 2008 (which will never exist)

The project seemed like a good idea at the time, but in reality it wasn't.

It's crap. I am sorry.

We all have ideas that turn out like this from time to time, I know this. Encouraging words are not necessary.

I am just trying to find a graceful way to pull it before more people download this garbage that I should never have uploaded.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: Smile Inducer 2007 : Project Withdrawn - January 10, 2007
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 04:47 AM »
I still say it was a nice idea. :huh:

Arjen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Codingspace.org
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 04:49 AM »
I still think the idea of a program to keep you motivated / smiling is really nice.

Edit: Uh... mouser posted about the same as I did simultaneously, so... me too!

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 05:00 AM »
Yeah, well the source to this one belongs here.

The best part of the code wasn't even contributed by me. In an effort to get it done on time I asked a friend to help with the javascript for the page it loads. He tossed out my code and started that page from scratch.

I am thankful to him for it, but even his best code couldn't make up for the mess I made.

I am embarrassed by this project even more than I am embarrassed by someone submitting this project of mine to Softpedia.

I just want to sweep this one under the rug, take the knowledge I have gained from it, and move on.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 06:15 AM »
I'm sorry to see you folding on this, especially when so many others you know share my sentiment, but I won't attempt to dissuade you from your decision.  You know best.  I will tell you that you remind me of how I sounded when I rolled my truck (fuel tanker).  I was very discouraged.  I wish I could have sent that day to the recycle bin because my boss has never spoken to me since that day.  Neither I nor anyone else was hurt, but once I my boss realized this things were heated.  I was actually pretty disappointed because he was such a wonderful owner to work for and I hated messing up his day... and his truck.  I sure could have used your app that day!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 08:33 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

momonan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 06:42 AM »
Okay, I know you said you don't need words of encouragement ... but . . . we don't want you to get discouraged and stop with your great apps (well, maybe it's okay to rest).  Nobody ever did anything great without making mistakes - and having the courage to admit it yada-yada-yada. :-*
When you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning - Catherine Aird

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 07:14 AM »
I already removed the file attached to the original post, so there will be no more downloads. I am not embarrassed about pulling it or my reasons, so I will leave my post as is.

I am also going to leave the screenshot to make it easier to identify it, if you have already downloaded it and feel like deleting it.

As far as functionality, I am going to leave the page the app loads on my server till 2008, and might add a few more pics to it for those that decide to keep running it, for whatever reason. The brave shouldn't be punished.  :P

Okay, I know you said you don't need words of encouragement ... but . . . we don't want you to get discouraged and stop with your great apps (well, maybe it's okay to rest).  Nobody ever did anything great without making mistakes - and having the courage to admit it yada-yada-yada. :-*

Thank you.

I am not discouraged at all and there is no chance of me stopping programming...not on your life. I can't deny what I am on the inside again, and at heart I am a programmer...something I have been all my life, on the inside. And it will only seem like I am resting for a bit. I actually have a lot of things to work on...things to finish & improve. There will be some work done on older projects that need improving.

This isn't the first disaster I have retracted, just the most public one, being it's on a forum. It is much easier when you are sharing your work over p2p to just remove it from your shared files and not even say anything to anybody unless they ask. It's a little tougher to take it back on a forum.

And I know even Thomas Edison made a lot of darkbulbs before the lightbulb, so this is really no big deal in the world of creating things.

and Farmsteader...

Things like trucks can be replaced...they are only things. You can't replace people. I am glad you are still with us to be able to tell the story, and that nobody else was hurt. I am sure your wonderful boss felt the same way about it, even if he may have initially been angry over the whole thing.