topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:18 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Anyone feel like doing some semi-regular original blogging at donationcoder?  (Read 15005 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
You guys+gals should know about our blog page (http://blog.donationcoder.com), which is built from the daily posts on the forum..
We are currently doing it in a very ad hoc fashion, but i was wondering if there are a couple dc members who might want to become semi-regular dc software bloggers?  I think the funnest thing keeping with the spirit of the site would be if the posts focused on software or website services, and aim to discover new software and tell our readers about it.

Anyone feel like taking the plunge and playing a bigger role on donationcoder?

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I might be interested, though it would def have to be in a non-regular and non-frequent fashion  :-\

I'll do something later on, like in 4-5 hours, and then you'll see if it's worthy of a permanent, yet semi-regular column :)

edit: If I'm "successful" it would be a good way to give a little something back to the great DC-community. <- cue other potential writers
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 12:44 PM by TucknDar »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well because of the way we do our blogs, it doesnt have to be a strict commitment or a regular schedule - basically though i am looking for people who might be willing to take more seriously the idea of making meaningful posts on the forum about software/web news, discovering new software, opinions, etc.  Posts should include an attached image to make it easier to blog them.

So basically it's not all that different than making regular posts, but taken a bit more seriously.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'd be interested, it would be an easy way for me to contribute to the site.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
none of the original column/blog people coming out of the woodwork?

it would be nice to see Carol carrying on from her abrupt cancellation...

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well because of the way we do our blogs, it doesnt have to be a strict commitment or a regular schedule - basically though i am looking for people who might be willing to take more seriously the idea of making meaningful posts on the forum about software/web news, discovering new software, opinions, etc.  Posts should include an attached image to make it easier to blog them.

So basically it's not all that different than making regular posts, but taken a bit more seriously.
Ah, ok. Don't know if I can do that. Guess I'll have to think of something. I was thinking more along the lines of something different than the review-angle, as in general observations and problems related to software or websites. Something less serious than the regular posts ;)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
none of the original column/blog people coming out of the woodwork?

it would be nice to see Carol carrying on from her abrupt cancellation...

Me BLOG ? Last time I did that on DC the whole thing collapsed inwardly and Mouser scurried off into a hole ...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ah, ok. Don't know if I can do that. Guess I'll have to think of something. I was thinking more along the lines of something different than the review-angle, as in general observations and problems related to software or websites. Something less serious than the regular posts

Well that could work too.. Let me just invite you guys to make such posts and we can start marking some of them as blog items and putting them on http://blog.donationcoder.com page if they make sense as such.  Then anyone who feels like continuing, I will give "blog permissions" (and lessons) meaning you can promote your posts (and other posts) to blog status.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That sounds equitable and motivational.  When I have something worth reading, I'll give a heads-up.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 02:08 AM by CodeTRUCKER »

dhuser

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • King Dogbert
    • View Profile
    • StumbleUpon Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'll be interested in posting some software reviews I do, of free software. I will be unable to post frequently (daily), but enough (1-2 times per week).

dhuser
My StumbleUpon Profile
Imagine.Explore.Create!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
we'd always love to have more software mini-reviews dhuser  :up:

pfflyer

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Recommended Web Tools
    • Donate to Member
I would be very interested as well.

Though, could you clarify for me how the mechanics of it would work?

In the back of my mind, I think I could start something regular (once a weekish) starting in February.

Thanks,

Paul
I write and maintain Recommended Web Tools, a website for web development and design beginners. I write about a variety of <a href="http://www.recommendedwebtools.com">web tools</a> and am continually adding to my "recommended" list.

Jimdoria

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'd also be interested. Were you thinking along the lines of a rotating spot, or hosted sub-blogs? Something like a regular column on the site?

I have a blog that I started on using older hardware/software, but it just kind of turned into my personal blog. I'd love to do something a bit more focused.
- Jimdoria ~@>@

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide everybody into two kinds of people, and those who don't.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thrilled to see all the responses!

Let me talk a little more about my thoughts on all this.

A long time ago we set up a very different blog type system (using MoveableType), where we had a bunch of columnists who were supposed to write something once per week (each columnist had a different day of the week).

I think the schedule just burned people out, and it was yet another separate source of info on the site.

So when I decided to restart blogging at DC last year, I implemented something very different..

Go to our current blog page at: http://blog.donationcoder.com
You'll see that the blog items are actually made from forum posts(!).

This lets us easily create new blog posts based on interesting forum threads, which keeps the forum as our single place for discussion, but still allows us to extract a few posts a day for spotlighting, especially for people who aren't daily hardcore DonationCoder.com forum readers  (And the hardcore forum readers still see everything since the blog posts are built from forum posts).

I think this actually works great.  But what would *really* take it to the next level is if we incorporated more opinion and traditional blog-style items in the blog.  Right now it's mostly items about web/software discoveries, with very little personality and often focusing on things that were found on other sites.

So, my the idea is to find some members who want to be more regular bloggers, who might be willing to go out and discover stuff, or write opinion pieces, etc.  There won't be a strict schedule, or strict format.  You will simply make your posts on the forum in a normal forum section (Living Room, General Software, Developer Corner), but your forum posts will be regularly Blogged, and posted on the http://blog.donationcoder.com page, and maybe mentioned in the newsletter.  We could figure out a special name for them, and create a special page collecting all your items after a while.

In short, there is no formal arrangement we have to make.  I encourage all of you who are willing to give it a try, to consider yourself "accepted" into the blogging elie at DC.  Just post your essays as normal posts and we'll figure out a way to recognize them and blog them if appropriate - messsage me when you make a post you think would be a good blog or something.  Think of it as a trial period - if your posts get turned into blogs then you are a success and we'll promote you officially and give you permission to create official blog items yourself.  If not, worst scenario is you just created some nice posts on the forum that weren't quite blog material :)

And of course we will try to figure out a way to properly show appreciation for the bloggers.  Keep in mind that all mini-reviews and coding snacks get blogged, so any time you write a mini-review you are essentially creating a blog item.  So you see that "blogging" on DC really just means writing a blog-worthy forum post.  My challenge to some of you is to pro-actively try to write such posts on a regular basis, and we will try to recognize your contributions more formally.

Sound reasonable?  We can figure out more details later as well - i'm open to suggestions.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Addendum:
Right now the blog page (http://blog.donationcoder.com) is not very focused on the blog author of each item - but for bloggers who developed a regular presence, we would want to change that, and figure out a way to make it easier for readers to spot the original contributions of different bloggers.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Pick me!

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
You can count me in without a doubt.  Every night at 6pm(EST) I scour 30+ sites grabbing new freeware, GPL, and open source programs.  I also get regular alerts about quality shareware that is being offered for free for a limited time.  A prime example was the Windows Vista Business and Microsoft Office 2007 giveaways by Microsoft at http://www.powertogether.com

I would love to help out with regular or semi-regular blog posts.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mouser, I just wrote my first test blog.  I stored it in my Personal Area for now.

I like this idea about the blogs, because I am having less time to read the posts on DC and respond to the threads I want to.  This blog thing will be a good way for someone like me to write my thoughts out in a longer than average post, and then I can go back to my personal life without having to keep up with everything that is happening on the site.  And it's much easier than the podcast, and I think the information is presented in an easier way.

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Are you still looking for bloggers?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
cthorpe, we sure are.

note that every time you write a minireview you are a defacto "blogger" because your review will go onto: