topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: URL extractor  (Read 4658 times)

wiiiindy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: URL extractor
« on: December 10, 2007, 11:30 AM »
I strongly suspect this has already been done or can be done with commercial software but I can't find it.

I have an occasional need to download a file from a server on the internet and save it on my hard drive.  I know that URL snooper will find the URL for me but once I know the URL, how do I copy/download the file?   A small simple program that will extract the file to my hard drive when it is given the URL would be very nice.

Alternativley, if there is already an easy way to do it, I would be grateful to learn it.   I have grabbed photos from web pages by right clicking and using the save target function.  However I don't see that option when I right click on a URL to a .wav file, for instance.
You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: URL extractor
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 06:42 PM »
if you just want to download the file, why not go for a download manager? if you want a simple command-line tool, try wget.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 07:04 PM »
Wiiiiindy,
I use the save command in http://yubnub.org for that. Enter save _____ where ____ is your URL and yubnub returns a link that your can right click, choose save as and download the file. It's quick and you need not install any application. (edit: the last part of the previous sentence was missing in the original post)

If you use FARR, you can do it through "yn save _____"
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 03:14 PM by Nod5 »

elixic

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 10:23 AM »
This is a download manager I like a lot. The best thing about it, as the name implies, its FREE!

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/