ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Good Freeware Video Editor?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I'm with Carol on this. You get what you pay for in this area.

While Sonic basically defines the DVD authoring standard  their consumer level DVD authoring tools don't quite measure up (or at least they didn't last I checked) and you're better off getting the DVD authoring software from MediaChance, which is cheaper and better.

But if you're just doing stuff for home, it doesn't matter all that much.

Vegas and Premiere are very good and still affordable, all things considered. Many NLE packages can run you into the 10's of thousands of dollars.
-Renegade (January 18, 2007, 04:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually I disagree - I think Sony's DVD Architect v. 2 is pretty good and the bundle with Vegas is expensive (for a home user) but nevertheless good quality.

Having said that I mostly author DVDs using TMPGEnc DVD Author. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles but you can do loads of stuff in a very quick and simple way. I only resort to DVD Architect if I want more control over what I am doing.

I tried MediaChance but object to the need to splash out more money to be able to use Dolby sound and I found their user interface not very intuitive and the documentation not as good as Sony's.

The only thing I would say is that for any of these applications try to avoid producing Video or Audio that needs recoding in the application. I have had strange glitches with poor sound sync with all of them but only when things need to be recoded on the fly.

Jimdoria:
Just a side note - ZS4 (ZweiStein 4) and Wax are both video compositors, rather than straight-on video editing programs, so the learning curve might be a bit steeper.

ZweiStein in particular shows some real promise - if you check out the videos on their website of what it can do, it's pretty impressive. Unfortunately, my main PC is too underpowered to run it, so I haven't really been able to play with it as much as I'd like.

I use Sony Movie Studio (Vegas Lite, really) and have been very happy with its capabilities.

Renegade:
Actually I disagree - I think Sony's DVD Architect v. 2 is pretty good and the bundle with Vegas is expensive (for a home user) but nevertheless good quality.

Having said that I mostly author DVDs using TMPGEnc DVD Author. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles but you can do loads of stuff in a very quick and simple way. I only resort to DVD Architect if I want more control over what I am doing.

I tried MediaChance but object to the need to splash out more money to be able to use Dolby sound and I found their user interface not very intuitive and the documentation not as good as Sony's.

The only thing I would say is that for any of these applications try to avoid producing Video or Audio that needs recoding in the application. I have had strange glitches with poor sound sync with all of them but only when things need to be recoded on the fly.
-Carol Haynes (January 18, 2007, 06:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

The Vegas bundle is $525, which isn't cheap, but is still very affordable considering what this kind of software generally costs.

The thing I like about the MediaChance software is that it's easy to use and it doesn't do any re-encoding. A professional Dolby encoder costs a pretty penny, and you just cannot buy one at general consumer prices (I know Dolby's licensing and it's not cheap).

The MediaChance DVD authoring tool isn't really geared towards home use though. You need to be comfortable with authoring tools to use it easily, so I can see why some people wouldn't find it the best for usability.

The key problem with many tools is that they do re-encode, which will downgrade the quality. If you've got the encoded material, then something like the MC tool works well.

Carol Haynes:
TMPGEnc DVD Author 2 does not recode and only accepts DVD conformant files. If you need to recode than TMPGEnc XPress does a good job and TMPGEnc MPEG Editor does a good job at editing video files without forcing recoding (so you can delete ads etc easily without degrading the video).

Sony's DVD Architect 2 only recodes your video when it absolutely has to (it doesn't if videos are already DVD compatible formats).

Renegade:
Here's one - haven't tried it though:

http://www.jahshaka.org/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version