topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 10:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Latest Creating Passionate Users Essay: Don't make the Demo look Done  (Read 6402 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
The "Creating Passionate Users" Blog is one of the best sources for insightfull essays on user interface design and on building software for users.  Right up there with Joel Spolsky in terms of good writing and solid principles.

I only just recently noticed that the bloggers there share something in common: They are all are all authors who have published with with O'Reilly's "Head First books" publisher house (http://www.wickedlysmart.com).  I don't know if the publisher put them together or if all the authors from that series have been invited to blog on that site, but it's a great idea.. I wish more organizations/publishers would try to team up a group of authors to make a team blog.. Relieves some of the stree of publishing daily and the interaction could be useful.

Anyway, today's essay is very thought provoking and somewhat counter-intuitive, and talks about the nature of the demo you should show off of your work-in-progress..

When we show a work-in-progress (like an alpha release) to the public, press, a client, or boss... we're setting their expectations. And we can do it one of three ways: dazzle them with a polished mock-up, show them something that matches the reality of the project status, or stress them out by showing almost nothing and asking them to take it "on faith" that you're on track.

The bottom line:
How 'done' something looks should match how 'done' something is.

ps. Very recently the "Creating Passionate Users" people seem to be really seriously trying to grub for attention from Robert Scoble.. It's a bit annoying.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Latest Creating Passionate Users Essay: Don't make the Demo look Done
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 08:23 PM »
I was under the impression that the author of the Creating Passionate Users was also the originator of the idea for the Head First books series.