topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 6:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Virtual diskette reader  (Read 4921 times)

jacquesrober

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Virtual diskette reader
« on: December 23, 2006, 12:33 PM »
Hi,
I need help.
I have to install a program that requires to be installed both from a diskette and a CD. I had this program on my old computer and it was running flawlessly.
I tried installing the same program on my new computer: no diskette drive but 2 DVD,CD, readers and burners.
 I copied the data that should be on a diskette to a CD and tried installing the program by directing to that CD when prompted to load the diskette. It did not work .
I tried installing a borrowed diskette reader, but to my surprise there was no possibilities of connecting the diskette reader: no connector for that purpose in this new have it all (or almost?) computer.
So now I am looking for a virtual diskette reader that will react just like the real thing and fool the installation program into installing the program.
This is a one time requirement, so that I am not hot on buying expensive? adaptors to do the job(if any exist at all).
Is a virtual diskette reader possible??
I would appreciate any help at all.
I am not fluent with programming and have no way to see the code of the program I want to install.
JR

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
Re: Virtual diskette reader
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 03:07 PM »
I'm fairly certain there's some free windows floppy emulator/whatever - or you could use vmware or similar, or simply copy the (installed) files from the other computer?
- carpe noctem

jacquesrober

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 03:43 PM »
Don't I wish I could copy those files and about 40GB of other files ans stuff! from my old fried computer.
The hard disk gave up its life in a thunderstorm and probably saved something else while doing it! "My hero". The computer was not well protected against transient  voltages.
The hard drive data was recoverable: at the tune of between $500 up to possibly $2000.
Bought a new computer, and a hard drive and sold the old one  with a new hard drive at a bargain price . The replacement is protected against voltage variations.
VM ware is a possibility, I still need to find a virtual diskette reader.
 This is probably a one time use, as there are very few if any programs requiring diskette nowadays.
I thought that virtual diskette drives existed to enable saving material already existing on diskettes and that could not be readily transfered to CD.
JR

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 02:51 PM »
You can try this one:

http://chitchat.at.i.../vmware/vfd.html#top

You can also get VMware Player or Virtual PC for free - they both allow you to atach a floppy image to a 'drive' in the virtual machine.

However, if your program is using the floppy for copy protection, I'd be surprised if any virtual floppy drive will work.

Another option is to try a floppy drive that attaches to a USB port.  NewEgg has them starting at $20.  Keep in mind that this might also not work - especially if the program is using copy protection.

jacquesrober

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 09:55 AM »
Hello mwb1100,
Thank you for the info. I downloaded the file and it works.
I have now encountered another problem. It seems that the 16 bit system of  windows XP is defective!!
With the type of software bundling I have on this computer, I very much hesitate to do a recovery. I cannot do a simple repair because window XP is available only as a bundle. This means many many hours of desinstalling all kinds of sh...t software that is not needed or even wanted.
The backup copy is the same bundle as what is on the recovery partition on the hard disk.
Does anyone know of a way to repair XP without reinstalling this bundle?
Regards,
JR