topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:17 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Switch Game Submission: 'Go Rabbit, Go!'  (Read 15400 times)

mslaybau

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Switch Game Submission: 'Go Rabbit, Go!'
« on: December 24, 2006, 09:17 AM »
http://www.acetio.com/gorabbitgo/goRabbit.html

scrn_full.gifSwitch Game Submission: 'Go Rabbit, Go!'

Go Rabbit, Go!

Production Notes

This game was created expressly for the DonationCoder.com Accessibility Game Coding Contest, beginning on December 18th 2006, when I heard about the contest.

My girlfriend works at the University of Delaware Center for Disability Studies, and she and I came up with a game idea that we thought would be playable by people with a variety of disabilities but also fun for everyone regardless of ability.

The audio-only idea was fascinating, but we couldn't come up with an idea that we could produce in so short a time.

The idea is based on a mathematical puzzle known by some as a 'broken tractor maze' in which you must traverse a maze, but can only turn left (or only right).
This fit with the constraint of a switch game, since the puzzle relies on the removal of controls.
By making the switch control turning, we had to make other forces, such as velocity, constant, or at least controlled by the computer.

The character moves at a constant rate and must grab all the carrots on the screen.
A flying tortoise chases the character, at 1/3rd the character's speed, helping to motivate the activity.
When a carrot is landed upon, it is replaced with a clod of dirt, through which the character cannot pass again, so the rabbit essentially creates a maze for itself as the level progresses.
Each level includes three pairs of colored holes, which connect to each other, allowing quick escape from the tortoise.
If the tortoise catches the character, the character and tortoise are both sent back to their original positions.
There is no way to die in the game, except that it is possible at the higher levels to create a maze that cannot be passed.

The levels are randomly-generated and infinite (well, after about 50 levels the game would be impossible to complete), with speeds increasing slightly each level and one additional carrot each level.

The game requires only the flash plugin in any browser, is about 6K in size, and plays in a large area (640x520) all three of which were concerns for making the game truly accessable.

This is a beta until I can create better graphics and add sounds.

I'm very curious to have others try the game and let me know what changes they would recommend.
I'm sneaking away from holiday time with the family in order to make tweaks in the next few days, so I won't be able to get everything done by Jan 1, but if I get a sense that people would most like to see better graphics, for example, or sounds, or changes to the gameplay, I'll focus on that.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 12:44 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Switch Game Submission: 'Go Rabbit, Go!'
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 03:18 PM »
Welcome mslaybau,

What is that a picture of in your avatar.. kind of looks like the tip of a dalmation dog tail :)

In addition to just smoothing out the movement a bit, might be nice to have some "power ups" (like things to eat which make you faster or make you be able to scare the tortoise) or other enemies.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 02:30 AM »
I can't play your gamw because it requires the spacebar to be pressed. How about also letting me click my mouse?

No keyboard for this Wii. . .

mslaybau

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 05:32 PM »
Hi, I've made some improvements (a powerup of sorts, less buggy, smoother gameplay, better graphics, sounds)
http://www.acetio.co...bbitgo/goRabbit.html

Having the mouse button be an alternate switch to press makes sense.

And, the avatar is Charlie Brown in his Halloween costume