ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: an indication that "start-up" is finished

<< < (2/11) > >>

DocSavage:
Kinda' like some of the ideas behind your FARR, right? Perhaps there is a way to have a persistent list of 'oft used programs, to "pre-cache" them...
It is so KEWEL to see someone grab something & run with it...(all I wanted was a little traffic light in the tray.) :Thmbsup:
dk

brotherS:
No need to code something new, just install Startup Delayer!
--> https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1399.0

That will give you a very good idea how far up Windows is *and* optimize it at the same time.

f0dder:
This task is probably a bit more complex than it sounds...

there are multiple sources for run-at-start apps: HKLM run entries, HKCU run entries, services, per-user start menu startup folder, and iirc some ini files somewhere as well. Also, when are those "started"? Once the exe is run, or after they're actually done reading from disk, initializing, etc? :)

brotherS: I wouldn't call that "optimizing", since it's symptomatic treatment... not saying it doesn't give a perceived improvement though, but it does mean it takes even longer before windows is fully booted :)

mouser:
f0dder i think it's important to distinguish doing this EXACTLY and doing this using heuristics that work well.

while it might be difficult to precisely tell the exact moment all startup programs were launched, it really shouldnt be too hard to use a few heuristics to make a very good estimate.

for example, registering a program that starts on startup and checks for 5 seconds of no new processes starting would probably do it just fine.  super easy, no muss no fuss, and likely very accurate.

f0dder:
for example, registering a program that starts on startup and checks for 5 seconds of no new processes starting would probably do it just fine.  super easy, no muss no fuss, and likely very accurate.
-mouser (December 25, 2006, 09:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
Would certainly work some places - but I've seen computers where some service (sometimes) take a while to load, postponing the rest of the system. It's hard coding up something that works reliably everywhere :(

My own solution is to not boot more than necessary, and go fetch a cup of coffee - system's usually ready and kicking when I get back :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version