topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday April 15, 2024, 11:29 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Possible? New idea for taming  (Read 5468 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Possible? New idea for taming
« on: December 24, 2006, 07:07 AM »
Hey all,
just had an idea for a new way to tame processes. I have NO clue if/how it will work but here is the idea...
Process Tamer BLOCKS a process from taking more then set intervals of CPU power OR shadows a process from seeing the whole processor/whole processors power (The set intervals would be like 10%, 20%, 25% etc).

Why I thought of this idea...
(NOTE: If anyone cares to know why I made up this good (or bad) idea here is why...
A program I have for all my machines (4) have a small program called CleanUp! (obviously it CLEANS UP!) But the bad part is that on my P4 1.6GHz machine...
CleanUp.exe takes 100% of CPU power for several HOURS  :tellme:

Here is an example of the new idea working...
Process Tamer (with new options) opens via user
User opens (for my machine) CleanUp.exe
User opens ProcessTamerConfigurator.exe and edits options to have the program CleanUp.exe take 10% of the CPU's power
User instructs CleanUp.exe to start working and Process Tamer blocks it from using any mroe CPU power then 10% (so for me 160 MHz would go to CleanUp.exe at maximum).

Idea explained:
I don't know if this can be done by shadowing to the program that the processor is only a certain speed (ex. I want to run MousersGreatNewAppFor2007.exe and I want it to use only 25% of my processor. So Process Tamer would tell it that the processor/CPU is only (for a 2.0 GHz average system) 500Mhz
OR
By simply limiting the app by just blocking it off from any other CPU power.

Any way would be fine (if this could be made possible) and I am sure that other people that run on old machines that are starting to "see the light" would benefit from this also.

Thanks all,
-Wreckedcarzz

(and have a MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE!)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Possible? New idea for taming
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 02:13 PM »
What kind of cleanup does cleanup do? Sounds like bad programming for something with that name taking up 100% CPU for ages...

Anyway, it's "sorta possible" to do what you want. One could code an application that periodically "puts the program to sleep" for a short duration, that would limit the program's CPU usage. Won't work if the program is interactive, does sound or animation...
- carpe noctem

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 07:45 PM »
well it is coded very well (or at least functions like it), but you do have to interact with it for a short periods during startup and closing of it...and it makes a flushing noise...
but i meant like blocking it from the overall portion of the CPU, not "sleeping" the program for a time; hmm
Any other ideas?
Thanks,
-Wreckedcarzz

-EDITED FOR SPELLING ERRORS-
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 07:47 PM by wreckedcarzz »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 07:47 PM »
You can set the process to a lower priority - it will still "use 100% CPU", but the system should run more smoothly. This is what process tamer already does, afaik.
- carpe noctem