ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2007

WorkCoach - v0.8.0 - January 24, 2007

<< < (3/9) > >>

gottadoit:
Hi gottadoit,

The window log information is stored in XML files, so with a custom XSLT file it would be possible to merge two of those into one. Right now only the window log information is saved to file (i.e. how much time is spent in each application / window title). The project log (i.e. how much time is spent on each project) is calculated from the window log file and the projects and rules defined by the user. I will soon make sure the project log is also saved, so it can be used for making reports like you mention.

The XML files WorkCoach creates are saved in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\WorkCoach

With regard to time syncing: right now the program only records how long you've been doing something, not the exact times, so this is not an issue.

I hope this helps - if you have any further questions or comments I'll be happy to hear them!

Arjen.

-Arjen (January 03, 2007, 08:05 AM)
--- End quote ---
Arjen,
  Thanks for the reply this is an interesting project for sure

In regards to time keeping it would actually be useful to have the actual times stored as well (with the local timezone) then it could be used to reverse engineer a timesheet or just to see when things were done. It would also make it easier to merge the multi-machine files so that you are not accounting for more than 100% of the time spent at the computer. In my case my sessions span time zones so it would be useful if you decide to record the time if you also keep the local timezone with it

If I understood you correctly the program currently keeps a much simpler counter of time used per window and simply increments this and saves it in a file. Adding timestamped events if this is the case is probably too much to ask because it is a departure from your current lean and simple approach, what do you think ?

I use workpace (as a rest break prompter) and that also keeps application use statistics, the only problem with it is that it is useless for custom reporting because it saves the information in a binary file and aggregates it daily. There are other similar opensource/freeware tools, like http://www.workrave.org/features/ and that might also keep statistics (I haven't tried it) and could be a source of ideas for you...

Seeing as you are resetting the timer each "day" it would be useful if a "day" could be defined, in some cases it might be useful to run the day so that it finishes after midnight. For example you could start the new day at 6am so that any overnight activities would be considered as part of yesterday, and as long as you have timestamps with the activities the data could still be loaded into a database (or processed in perl or even java) and then sliced and diced multiple ways if required. If you include the rollover time in the daily filename and a start/stop time inside the file then you pretty much have all the information anyone could ever want to process it

tomos:
If I understood you correctly the program currently keeps a much simpler counter of time used per window and simply increments this and saves it in a file. Adding timestamped events if this is the case is probably too much to ask because it is a departure from your current lean and simple approach, what do you think ?
--- End quote ---

have you looked at TitleLog
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=4645.msg33062#msg33062
It keeps track of all windows used - to the minute - which is great as a record of what you doing but not so good for keeping track of how long youve spent on something throughout the day.

Anyone else having problems with WorkCoach using a lot of CPU ?

Arjen:
If I understood you correctly the program currently keeps a much simpler counter of time used per window and simply increments this and saves it in a file.-gottadoit (January 04, 2007, 09:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, that is correct. Recording exact times instead of time spent would indeed require a different approach of the program. I will definitely keep it in mind, but I'd want to think of a good way to do it, and would like to implement some other features first. Also, it would be a departure from the philosophy I had in mind with this application: keep track of what you've done, and help you do what you want to do - but not by imposing when you do it, just by coaching you into spending the time you had planned to spend on your projects. (The time budgets is something that still has to be implemented.)

Can you think of a way I could adjust the program so it'll be useful for you, but without logging exact times? Do you really need exact times for your timesheet? I can imagine merging the XML files is possible without creating overlap if you keep in mind that when you are working on a remote computer, your RDP client is logged on the local machine. If you're working on the local machine, idle time is logged on the remote machine.

I've also used WorkPace and I agree it's a shame you can't make your own reports. I have tried WorkRave once but can't remember it had any (decent) reporting or statistics, but that might have changed since I've used it...

Seeing as you are resetting the timer each "day" it would be useful if a "day" could be defined, in some cases it might be useful to run the day so that it finishes after midnight.
--- End quote ---

In principle, the day is simply defined as the (local) date on the machine WorkCoach is running on, so midnight local time is the "roll over time". However, the program determines the date on startup and keeps using that date until shutdown, so in practice we have a "dynamic roll over time" that works fine for those overnight activities, as long as you don't restart WorkCoach. :-} So you'll probably agree with me that something better might be needed here... Your suggestion of a user definable rollover time sounds like a good idea.

Thanks again for your comments!

Arjen:
Anyone else having problems with WorkCoach using a lot of CPU ?
-tomos (January 05, 2007, 01:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes.  :)

It's using around 5% CPU constantly on my machine. I don't really consider it a large problem right now, since I don't really notice it, but it does have my attention. Currently, WorkCoach checks the active window every second, so I might decrease that time, or make it user configurable. And I'll try to optimize the code that is running every second.

stevenhealey:
The ability to reset the project times at any time of the day would make the program more flexible ,
morning sessions , afternoon session and evening session would then be possible.

I am finding it very useful .. I did not realise how much I surfed while waiting for code to compile :-)

Steven

PS I am in the UK , and its 0:24 and the times have not reset from yesterday ??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version