ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

Programming Question...

<< < (5/7) > >>

mouser:
ok the first thing we need to do is make sure we are on the same page w.r.t. terms

chs has a concept of "Preset Views" which can be saved arrangements of window panels (what is docked and where), as well as saving information about what columns are visible and in what order they are displayed, their widths, and what is being sorted on, as well as information about how which nodes in the left hand tree are open vs. closed.

this is what i call a "preset view"

now
inside the database itself is a table for the group tree, and a table for the clip items.
in the group tree (or folder tree), are group nodes.

each clip can belong to one and only one group node.

but a group node can also be "virtual", in which cases it specifies a filter rule to specify what other clips(records) from the entire database to show inside it.

SO,
my virtual nodes are what you sometimes refer to as "views".  if you dont mind lets use virtual nodes for this concept.
right now these virtual nodes are indeed inside the database and would travel with it.
i think thats usually going to be a good thing, although i can see your point that if you had many users working on it, you might want individual users to be able to create their own private virtual nodes to hold results of past searches, etc., that other people working on the database wouldn't need to see.
that could probably be implemented with a little bit of work, if i move to a completely custom handled tree, which i am thinking more and more is the way to go, especially if we want to add support for multiple databases.

let's call things that are in the database and would travel with it and be shared by users of it, DatabaseLocal vs things that are only available to current users machine as UserLocal.

so right now, preset views (defining look of program and sort order of column,etc.) are always UserLocal.
and virtual nodes (which define custom filters on records) are always DatabaseLocal.

it sounds like you might really want both to be both.

one might settle for preset views always being UserLocal, but i think you could make the case that you would want to be able to make virtual nodes and specify exactly what columns are visible and in what order they are sorted, etc.

it all gets a little complicated with so many possible ways to use the program.

How are the actual clipboard contents contained now?  Are they merely a field in the database presented in a textbox instead of a cell?
--- End quote ---

absolutely, there are also fields for graphic images and richtext for when i add support for that.

as you say, the memo panel is the one panel that is really customized to show the two fields (title and clip text) specifically designed for clipboard and note taking.  this is why things like Brilliant Database has a form designer, so you can customize this kind of panel to show you just the info you want in a nice single-record view form..

mouser:
ps. you can already turn of clipboard monitoring/capture.

kfitting:
Ok, terminology should be good now.  I agree with what you're saying.  In particular I agree with this comment:

so right now, preset views (defining look of program and sort order of column,etc.) are always UserLocal.
and virtual nodes (which define custom filters on records) are always DatabaseLocal.

it sounds like you might really want both to be both.
--- End quote ---

Like I said before, the more I think about this, CHS has 90% of what is required, it just needs some tweaking as far as user data entry and tree structure is concerned.  GUI-wise you  have everything required.   All thats needed are a few more bullets in your Yet-To-Do list and CHS will be a database/clipboard tool.  Your initial observation of my idea was correct... I was trying to be picky and stubborn!! 

Kevin

mouser:
well, i've decided to make chs a full fledged tool for this kind of stuff, so it's just a matter of time, so keep the requests coming.

actually i have a special idea of something to add that will even take it beyong what we're talking about but i'll discuss that after more progress is made.

however, my plan is still to perfect the clipboard + notes aspects of this tool, and only then move to more general database handling.  so keep an eye on the todo list and keep the suggestions coming.

kfitting:
Sounds like a good plan to me.  I look forward to future development!

Kevin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version