ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

Programming Question...

(1/7) > >>

kfitting:
What database backend are you using for CHS?  Also, how easy is it to manipulate?  We are looking for a quick and dirty database for keeping our wirelist info at work.  The one used in CHS looks very interesting. 

Kevin

mouser:
im using dbisam, at least for now.
i have to tell you, i am not a fan of using databases in programs.  it has some advantages, but i've now done it in several programs, and there is no end to the pain involved (imho) in getting things to work right.
unless you are going to have 100,000 records, i would give serious thought in the future to whether i really wouldnt be better off with my own custom data structures.

kfitting:
Hmmmm... for us, Excel works fine, except that we now have over 40,000 wires in our trainer.  Excel gets unwieldy with that amount of data.  We were thinking about going to access, but there is too much programming involved. 

A quick thought... how easy would it be to make a basic database program?  Could this be a coding snack?  From looking at CHS, that level of functionality would be great, no fancy menus (although I guess you need to be able to edit the records somehow... double click to edit within the cell). 

- The ability to add and delete columns would be needed.
- Keep database info in ONE file
- Import/export to Excel would be a definite plus, almost a necessity

But, beyond that, CHS has about as much functionality as I'd want.  I've often wondered if there was a program like this out there.  Wow, I'm getting excited!

Kevin

mouser:
there are some nice customizable easy-to-use personal database tools out there - i think chs may morph into one of those.
check this one out: http://www.brilliantdatabase.com/

kfitting:
I looked at brilliant, still trying it out.  The only thing is, it does so much!  I love how CHS' database view is clean and simple.  Basically, it's like Excel for data storage.  That's all I really want.  A little customization would be nice... but not necessary.  Make it import/export to excel and everything would be great!  You dont think you could tweak CHS' database code, throw it into a simple gui (one pane, a few menus) in a short amount of time?  How many people use Excel for data storage?  This would be the same concept, just able to handle larger data sets.

Just an idea.  I'm probably over-simplifying greatly.  Ahhhh... but dreaming is such fun.

Kevin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version