ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

Programming Question...

<< < (3/7) > >>

mouser:
let me finish work on chs first and then i can look at splitting off some code to a super simple database tool, but still considering the features that would be useful to you when working on chs.

mouser:
yeah it does sound like you need a proper scripting interface..
i'll have to think about that.
it actually shouldnt be so hard to provide such an interface to allow such manipulation

i just can't help thinking there must be existing tools for this.
but then on the other hand, if i have 90% of the code written, what's another 10%.
unfortunately sometimes the 10% takes 90% of the time.. yipe.

mouser:
so a question-
you wouldnt want any of the things that chs does to help working with data?
ie hierarchical groups, keeping track of modification + viewing date?
or would you?

mouser:
i keep trying to think if its possible to merge chs with the functionality of a more general purpose db tool..

kfitting:
Wow... going nuts posting?!  Heh heh, let me try to answer these questions.  I agree, that the more general you make it, the better it will fit many people's needs.  With that in mind, here are my ideas:

- Viewing/Modifying date wouldn't be bad... they could just be a field in the table.  Same with other columns.  I would allow these to be customizable.  A database that is 100 meg that contains every piece of data under the sun isn't real helpful in my case, though it may be in someone elses.  Perhaps a quick interface to make columns that auto-update (date/time, computer login name, etc).

- A hierarchical tree isn't really necessary.  Not that I would complain if you included it, I just don't see how it would help under the circumstances.  I basically see a tree and database as two different ways to represent the same data.  If you could make the tree easily reflect the database... then maybe it would be useful.  (sorry, I'm going to brainstorm out loud... I may work myself into a contradiction).  Using filter nodes could have some uses... especially if you are using the database to keep track of objects around the home.  However, I think it should be thought of as the database influencing the tree rather than the tree imposing structure on the database.  SUMMARY: yeah, it might be nice to have a tree.  A mixture of filtered nodes and user defined nodes (user defined nodes would allow a user to drag a database record onto them, or multiple records at once) would allow you to keep search results handy for later use. 

Whooo... going in circles here! Perhaps a two pane view, tree and database, would work.  Actually, the tree might prove really useful since databases usually use forms to customize user interaction.  Nodes would allow user interaction but require no programming.  I can also see where they would allow you to set aside certain search results for later work.

Ok, in other words: I like your ideas.  So long as the main focal point is the database table itself, I think it will work real well.  Sorry I rambled, but that's how I think!  Any questions let me know. 

Kevin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version