ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Accessibility Game Contest

Special Preview & Beta Test !!!

(1/5) > >>

tinjaw:
I have decided to give you folks a sneak peak into my game submission in return for your help in beta testing.

I will post new versions as I make new builds. All you will need to do is run the EXE. It will ask you to pick a directory for it to install to. (It just unzips into that directory). Then run AsteroidsOfOrion.exe to enjoy the game.

There is a README.TXT included with some information to get you started. I will be adding more as I work on it over the next 24-36 hours in preparation for an official preliminary contest submission. I doubt I will get much sleep during all of this.  :P

So, here we go. The first build can be found here. Get the second build below.

tinjaw:
Work continues...

I learned a heck of a lot today about Torque GameBuilder. Things like creating dialog boxes aren't even documented, so I had to did into examples and source code. Much of what was built and changed today was behind the scenes. Lots of learning how to do things in code that I had only done through the level builder to date.

Some gameplay highlights:

* Ships take damage from collisions with asteroids.
* You only get five ships.
* Score is now kept.
* Almost all of the variables were tweaked after play by my beta testers.
* Tightened up the collision polygons
* Added camera shake when ship collides with asteroid.
* The 'p' key pauses the game.
You can get the new build of Asteroids Of Orion here for the next 24-36 hours. Get the latest build below.

mouser:
its so damn hard to keep from spinning out of control..
maybe some high friction would help?

CodeTRUCKER:
Hey Tinjaw, I tried it and was able to get everything except the last little tiny asteroid and then (after a dozen bullseyes) I looked a littel closer and saw that it was an undetonated bomb?  At least I think that is what it was as it had the central sparkle like the other bombs I launched. Bug?  FYI - at one point in the flight I tapped as fast as I could (about 12-15 times a sec).  Could this have created the dud?

I don't know if you are looking for ideas at this stage...

* As far as the asynchronous thrust, how about using a double-click or some other pattern to toggle left and right thrusters? 
* Related to the dud, I found I was able to clean out the asteroids by very rapid tapping; in fact the faster the rotation, the faster I was able to clear the asteroids.  You may wish to
* set a limit to "prevent overheating" or to allow the "neutron generators" a chance to build up
* set a limit of 10-20 rapid-fires,
* or at least if you fire, say more than 3/sec the effectiveness lessens since the recharging would be  ineffective
* perhaps a special "rotating docking station' for replenishment?  Once the rotation matched, the docking would "auto-dock?"
Maybe these might go into Ver.2.0, 3.0. etc....
Hope this helps!
Calvin

jgpaiva:
hi tinjaw!!
Congrats! This is a fun game! :D I even like it more than the original asteroids :P
You did an amazing work.
I'd just ask for one small modification: make the game end when there are no asteroids. It happened to me just the same thing that happened to Farmsteader. After the game had ended i didn't notice it and tried to blow up the other bombs.
(also, don't forget to let people choose a resolution in the last version. This one didn't quite fit my screen).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version