Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 27, 2014, 11:52:49 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: FARR and X1 (or other desk. Search tools)  (Read 4992 times)
Armando
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: January 04, 2007, 11:27:08 AM »

Hello,

I was wondering if it's possible to add a group alias to search in X1  -- the same way we use the "search" command  to activate google, amazon, etc. ?

Also... Non-standard caracters, like Ă©, ĂȘ, Ă« etc., don't seem to work with the "Search" alias. Does someone know how to fix that ?

Many thanks!  smiley

"I suppose it can be said that I'm an absent-minded driver. It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand, I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it."
Glenn Gould
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 12:02:01 PM »

great questions..
i dont know the answer to the x1 question - i wonder if there is a commandline way to launch x1 and start a search?

as for the non-standard characters and search alias..  this sounds like something i can fix.. can you give me an example of a search and why it fails and what it should be sending to the internet?
Armando
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 12:14:27 PM »

Thanks Mouser.

About X1 : I found a link to potential commands, but I don't  think they are usable as commands from the FARR group-alias. http://forums.x1.com/view...4a0045b40473c4084978d982c

Concerning non-standard characters : see the screenshots.

Thanks,
armando

"I suppose it can be said that I'm an absent-minded driver. It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand, I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it."
Glenn Gould
Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 12:20:32 PM »

Oups... here are the screenshots!

* Screenshot - 2007-01-04 , 13_07_20.jpg (61.71 KB, 513x281 - viewed 182 times.)

* Screenshot - 2007-01-04 , 13_08_35.jpg (128.06 KB, 507x295 - viewed 171 times.)

Glenn Gould
tinjaw
Supporting Member

I'm so glad breakbeat techno isn't an illegal drug

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 12:25:43 PM »

I have removed Copernic from my computer and have X1 sitting on my computer waiting to be installed. Maybe this will be the spark. I'll try to get X1 installed by the weekend and grab the alpha of FARR 2. I'm sure we could get something implemented if mouser wants to.

Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 12:42:59 PM »

I use X1, but Copernic is great : very fast and small memory usage (I find X1 to be a bit "ressource hungry"). Copernic lacks some of X1 functionalities though and doesn't search as deep (won't search in MS word "comments", for example).
If copernic makes its search engine more powerful, I'll probably switch.

Glenn Gould
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 12:44:21 PM »

looks like i just need to escape out the high ascii characters before launching a url, ill add it to my todo list for the next release which is coming out today or tomorrow.
Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 12:50:27 PM »

Mouser = efficiency !

Glenn Gould
Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 01:21:03 PM »

What's a mouffetard? tellme Sounds funny!  tongue

Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 01:30:52 PM »

Grin
I agree. It seems to be a neologism, a noun meaning "protester" -- it's based on the verb "Moufeter" which means to protest or to object... Kinda slangish french...

Glenn Gould
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 01:31:58 PM »

the problem with the google search is a bad google alias with unnesc language encoding info
go the your alias tab of farr options
double click search
find the google and google groups entries

change the part that says
ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=$$1
to simply:
q=$$1

so you should have
[copy or print]
Google $$1 |http://www.google.com/search?q=$$1
GoogleGroups $$1 |http://groups.google.com/groups?q=$$1&sa=N&tab=wg
Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 01:40:28 PM »

Excellent! and of course, it works...

Thank you very much Mouser. And good luck with the last miles towards the final release of FARR 2.0 !

Glenn Gould
MerleOne
Supporting Member

4D thinking

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 05:50:45 PM »

I think the google link in Armando screenshots refers to "Théùtre Mouffetard", a theater (not for movies, for plays) which is located "rue Mouffetard", that is Mouffetard street, in Paris.

As to "Mouffetard" would be related to "moufter", which is always used in a negative way ("il n'a pas *moufté* quand John a tout déballé" / "he kept his mouth shut when John spilled the beans"), I couldn't say !

BTW, I ditched Copernic a year ago : too many bugs, version after version.  Main gripe : the indexing engine was very sensitive and always left a lot of messages unindexed.  Indexing was also quite long and less compact.  I have on my business PC over 3 GB of outlook pst, most messages having attachements, Copernic index was very very huge, and the non indexed messages were a major reason for switching.

What's a mouffetard? tellme Sounds funny!  tongue
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 06:04:30 PM by MerleOne » Logged

.merle1.
Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 05:55:30 PM »

Interesting...

Glenn Gould
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.041s | Server load: 0.02 ]