topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 3:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The experiences of XPLite customized installations  (Read 5558 times)

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The experiences of XPLite customized installations
« on: December 20, 2006, 05:59 AM »
I was thinking in buying XPLite to strip my future XP-fueled computer (as it was a car :)) of useless components. But first, I want to know what are your experiences with the usage of this tool (if there's someone who uses this tool...). That is, if you had problems after customizing the installation, such as programs refusing to start due to some obscure missing component, or something along the lines.

Besides this, and this other one is very important, I want to know if any you used XPLite as a cleanup tool prior installing upgrades. For example, you removed Outlook Express, Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player before installing SP2, to get a cleaner upgrade as possible. And then, you ran into similar problems as the mentioned above.

I wanted to know if XPLite is worth its price tag, because I've been an user of 98Lite during some time now, but I ran into some problems due to its usage, like the impossibility of reading MHT files with Internet Explorer (due to the lack of Outlook Express) and some programs refusing to start due to runtime problems and some other things.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: The experiences of XPLite customized installations
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 06:05 AM »
all i know is xplite removes a service URL snooper needs (and maybe other network sniffers).

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 05:59 PM »
Why buy xplite when there's the free www.nliteos.com ?

My experience with nLite is that it works great, but you need to be a bit careful and test your image in vmware before rolling out - you can shoot yourself in the foot and remove some critical services.

But the end result of having an unattended windows setup with latest updates and lots less fat is worth it :)
- carpe noctem

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 07:01 PM »
I have xplite,i use it to remove all traces of windows defrag,built in games,and well that's pretty much it.

My experience with dealing with bloat is pretty much this,out of site out of mind is better than uninstall.

I hate Internet Explorer,but if you uninstall it,you'll have hell to pay,you'd be surprised of how much software
including what's already on your OS depends dearly on it.The same goes with Windows Media Player,you
could cripple any prior or future installation of third party software.

Personally i like to tweak more than uninstalling,be it with a tweaking software program,or by disabling processess through windows services console.

Just my humble opinion,but be very carfull when uninstalling components.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 10:11 AM »
tinyvillager summed up my opinions as well.

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 10:45 AM »
Me too.  Disabling some services and doing some reversible tweaking is comfortable for me.  Uninstalling major components isn't.
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 01:16 PM »
Why buy xplite when there's the free www.nliteos.com ?

Yep, I know, but, unfortunately, nLite is way different because you can't uninstall or reinstall components after you've got installed Windows. So, for me, is not an option.

OK, the general opinion can be resumed in the following: use it, but with care. I'll follow the advice. Thanks!