topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 8:53 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: 5 Dollar coupon towards the purchase of the TuneUp Utilities 2007  (Read 6335 times)

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
TuneUp Utilities 2007
http://www.tune-up.com/

coupon code: HAN-X4E-UHA (valid until 30 December 2006)

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ouch, am I disappointed!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 09:17 AM »
I love Tune-Up utilities, one of the best designed and most functional software of this type. I bought version 2006 several months ago, and had no idea a new version was available. The Update Wizard still tells me I have the latest version.

So when I visited the site now it looks like I have to pay almost 20 Euro for the upgrade - the coupon would deduct about 3 Euro. 20 Euro for a new version each year sounds pretty much like a subscription! I guess I should have checked their upgrade policy before I bought it. Too bad.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: 5 Dollar coupon towards the purchase of the TuneUp Utilities 2007
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 09:25 AM »
i also am very bothered by programs which charge registered users these high upgrade prices.. rather than rewarding customers they seem to be trying to grab money from them.

BUT i very much doubt any real company would try to charge you for an upgrade when you bought it just a few months ago.  If you email them they will probably give you a free upgrade.

IF they make you by an upgrade for a purchase you made under day 5 months ago, please let us all know - because i found that unacceptable and reason enough to never go near such a company again.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 09:45 AM »
IF they make you by an upgrade for a purchase you made under day 5 months ago, please let us all know - because i found that unacceptable and reason enough to never go near such a company again.

I'm pretty sure it was more than 5 months, though it was this year. (I keep my registration codes in KeyNote, and KeyNote doesn't keep track of the date a node was created, and now I can't check. I kick myself for that omission every day!)

And I do like tune-up Utilities, damn :)  I guess the question is whether one wants the new features. The new disk doctor looks fine, but since I've never had a disk go bad on me - never, not once in some 15 years - maybe I don't need it that much. Don't need Office 2007 support either. The improved registry cleaner - well maybe, it sure looks pretty, but I'm not using it much. (I have registry entries pointing to virtual drives, and they always get marked as invalid if the drive is offline.)

I'll wait for 2008 :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 09:50 AM »
email them tranglos, and see what they say.  it cant hurt and most apps give free updates within 1yr.  they certainly all should.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 11:15 AM »
This is an issue that keeps coming up on the Acronis TrueImage forum - upgrades are free within 30 DAYS of purchase. A lot of people bought TI 9 Home in the fall (say September 15) and were hopping mad because they were required to pay the same upgrade fee on (say) October 16 as everyone else. I think anything less than 90 days is a  rip-off, personally. Like mouser, I think 6 months to a year is more reasonable still! Having said that, there are reports of people contacting sales and being given free upgrades outside of the 30 day window, so I guess if you make noise you get results. This should proabably be noted in the review along with the fact that Acronis seems to be going the  Corel route and issuing paid for upgrades instead of point releases to address bugs in their software. Many of the issues in Acronis TI 9 have yet to be addressed and version 10 is out. If memory serves, within a year of 9 being release, to boot... (sorry, got off topic a bit LOT  :-[)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 11:18 AM by Darwin »