Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site August 28, 2014, 06:19:52 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Check out and download the GOE 2007 Freeware Challenge productivity tools.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Latest FARR v2.00.140 ALPHA PREVIEW Release - Aug 15, 2007  (Read 326745 times)
Lashiec

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #775 on: July 24, 2007, 05:58:55 PM »

mouser, I've been experiment with FARR this night, and I have a technical question. Does it really make a difference in reaction time to have the heaviest or the lightest memory profile in "Inactive memory use"? I'm not noticing anything, and I remember correctly, I didn't have speed problems in the old workhorse.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #776 on: July 24, 2007, 06:22:07 PM »

the only difference these settings make is in waking up from the system tray after a long time of non-use.
jOc
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #777 on: July 25, 2007, 02:57:55 PM »

Josh actually asked for this and i kind of implemented it in an odd way -- i need to add an alias to make it easier to use. Basically i added a way to tell farr what to do if there are no results found.  See the "The noresults alias" help topic in Advanced Use:
[copy or print]
You can now create a special alias called noresults.
If user hits enter when no results are shown, this alias will be triggered.
It can be useful if you want to do something like launch what they type directly (as if it was on path), or invoke another search program, etc.  Just use $$1 in the results.
I will make a default alias for this to make it easier to use.

Aha. I thought there might already be a solution. Thanks!

But I have played with it and I don't get it. Should there be any search pattern? For example, how to throw regedit keyword to system, like it would be throug standard windows run box?

The improvement I do like very much is browsing through folders. I have a folder for which I have set high score. In that folder I put links to folders I use often. What I like is, if I start to type the name of the link (that is in that folder, having favorits links) and pres tab the alias for the link is resolved into path and you can directly browse in that *favorits* folder.

just to make sure: you are saying this is something you already can do, not requesting something new?
Of course this works. And I use it all the times. For example if you would like to browse through a folder that is deep in the hierarchy of the hard disk, what you can do is to put a link to that folder into the folder that FARR seeks. You then just type the name that you gave to link and press type and voila, FARR throws you to that folder and you can search inside that target folder.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 03:21:02 PM by jOc » Logged
Trilinea
Supporting Member

« Reply #778 on: July 25, 2007, 06:48:05 PM »

MOUSER = AWESOME! FARR ALPHA = AWESOME!  Thmbsup

Thank you!

smiley
xbz
Participant

« Reply #779 on: July 27, 2007, 01:28:50 AM »

Trying FARR v2 and i love it!

But.. i want to use FARR as a launchbar, so i need it to be always on top, always on screen, it is possible but it looks like this

captition is surely unnecessary here, but it cannot be turned off

second problem, when i run shortcut behind the ">>" on toolbar, i don't know how to explain... shortcut "jumps" to start of the toolbar, i thinks this is feature, but I really hate it, all shortcuts change over and over, i wish i could turn it off..

two more things and i'll love FARR forever, but it just my dreams smiley
Folders for shortcuts on toolbar
Results list folding upwards not downwards, so i can place FARR at the bottom of the screen

Thanks! I love FARR!  Wink
Armando
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #780 on: July 27, 2007, 02:13:17 AM »

Trying FARR v2 and i love it!

But.. i want to use FARR as a launchbar, so i need it to be always on top, always on screen, it is possible but it looks like this [ ERROR: SPECIFIED ATTACHMENT MISSING ]

Don't you use farr to launch stuff using your... keyboard?  smiley

farr appears and disappears when you hit the "break" key (Can also be configured to work with (Alt+Space), (Ctrl+Space) etc.). Why would you need it to be permanently there?

And you can turn the caption off by selecting another skin  : open the "Options" window, click on the "Display" tab, enable "Use fancy skinned display", choose the "slenderFARR.skn"

You could also play with transparency.

Have fun
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 02:17:18 AM by Armando » Logged

"I suppose it can be said that I'm an absent-minded driver. It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand, I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it."
Glenn Gould
xbz
Participant

« Reply #781 on: July 27, 2007, 03:04:01 AM »

Don't you use farr to launch stuff using your... keyboard?  smiley

farr appears and disappears when you hit the "break" key (Can also be configured to work with (Alt+Space), (Ctrl+Space) etc.). Why would you need it to be permanently there?
Why FARR have toolbar with buttons? Isn't toolbar is for mouse? I prefer permanent toolbar, not hitting "break" before using toolbar with my mouse smiley

Thanks for the skin tip, FARR looks better without captition, but it is still thick, is there any skin to make it more more thin smiley It would be perfect if FARR fit my browser captition, not covering the browser menu buttons
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #782 on: July 27, 2007, 03:42:27 AM »

you can drag the divider where the toolbar is far to the right to completely hide it.
Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #783 on: July 27, 2007, 01:08:58 PM »

Thanks for the skin tip, FARR looks better without captition, but it is still thick, is there any skin to make it more more thin smiley It would be perfect if FARR fit my browser captition, not covering the browser menu buttons

Maybe someone will be willing to make such a skin. I wouldn't know how to do it though.

You should also have a look at LaunchBar Commander http://www.donationcoder....chBarCommander/index.html.

"I suppose it can be said that I'm an absent-minded driver. It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand, I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it."
Glenn Gould
xbz
Participant

« Reply #784 on: July 28, 2007, 12:01:43 PM »

strange behavior for some cyrillic letters
try "search роутер"
xbz
Participant

« Reply #785 on: July 29, 2007, 12:13:25 AM »

you can drag the divider where the toolbar is far to the right to completely hide it.

Could you make butons on toolbar just stand on their places? Thats all i want

To make FARR thiner
Options -> Plugins, etc -> EditBox Height
jsturtridge
Supporting Member

« Reply #786 on: July 30, 2007, 09:24:49 AM »

Mouser,

Minor point UI/usability point.  I've got a lot of aliases in "my_aliases" (more than a screenful) and when I want to move an alias from the top to the bottom - I would expect to be able to drag the alias to the bottom of the visible window and since there are more aliases off the page - it would scroll automatically until the end of the alias list was reached - but it doesn't.

Minor point though - all the rest looking good.

J.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 09:35:18 AM by jsturtridge » Logged
Code6226
Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #787 on: August 01, 2007, 02:19:20 PM »

Bug with Uninstaller plugin (which I love, btw): When you uninstall something, it is not removed from the list.
It would be really nice if the list of installed programs refreshed on its own after you uninstall something... or at least remove that particular program.
I know, the program is not removed from the registry list until after the particular Uninstaller is done doing its thing, and it's hard to say when that is... but it's not that hard.
Worst case you could Launch the uninstaller with another helper program, which would ExecWait the Uninstaller, and once closed, refresh the list.
That would give proper results no matter if the Uninstaller was canceled or succeeded.

Other than that, great work!

PS: Still wish there was Fuzzy Search like Launchy has so I can find "noetpad", but no biggy. Wink
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #788 on: August 01, 2007, 02:24:05 PM »

Still wish there was Fuzzy Search like Launchy has so I can find "noetpad", but no biggy.

can you be a little clearer about what you mean?

ah i see you want when you type noetpad for it to find notepad, despite the bad spelling, even without adding it as a special alias. i'm afraid thats not coming anytime soon, however i will probably try to add a first word abreviation thing where if you type a few letters like np it will match notepad.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 02:28:50 PM by mouser » Logged
Nod5
Supporting Member

« Reply #789 on: August 01, 2007, 04:05:29 PM »

I've noticed a small GUI-related thing...

If I set FARR v2.00.135 to
- checked: options > auto-shrink window to fit results
- unchecked: options > alpha fade into view
- set to some degree: options > window transparency
(... perhaps some other setting - i've played around with many of them)
I then get a very brief but clearly noticeable black colored FARR results window when launching FARR. It's as if the whole results part of the window first gets painted black in a flash and then quickly re-painted like it should be. I hope that description makes sense - I can't think of a better way to put it.

Changing any of the three settings above removes the brief "black flash"
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #790 on: August 01, 2007, 04:09:46 PM »

thanks nod, i'll look into it. sounds like the transparancy stuff may be causing some troubles.
Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #791 on: August 02, 2007, 10:30:20 AM »

There seem to be a little bug with the "Plugins, Updates, Fonts"-->"Advanced Custom Font Configuration". Don't know if anybody mentionned it yet.

When I start changing the "EditBox Height" value, everything I'll click on afterwards in the option window will add one unit to the EditBox Height. it's not even possible to close the option window normally (atl+f4, the right corner X icon, etc.). The only way to get rid of the option window, is to hit the hotkey (Pause/Break, Alt+Space or Ctrl+Space) twice to make farr disappear. When relaunched with the hotkey, farr's fine.

Glenn Gould
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #792 on: August 02, 2007, 10:43:48 AM »

i can't reproduce this armando, anyone else?
Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #793 on: August 02, 2007, 10:54:47 AM »

Ok, let me try this with other skins since it looks like a GUI problem.

Glenn Gould
Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #794 on: August 02, 2007, 11:00:30 AM »

Different skins don't have any effect -- predictably since the option window is not skinned.

Let me add that the bug occurs only when I'm changing the Height value with the little "arrow" buttons. It doesn't happen when I change the value using the keyboard.

Glenn Gould
Nod5
Supporting Member

« Reply #795 on: August 02, 2007, 01:48:45 PM »

mouser, just an addition: I later realized that that brief black background I wrote about also appears every time the window gets auto-shrunk (or de-shrunk) given these settings:
- checked: options > auto-shrink window to fit results
- set to some degree: options > window transparency
tablaji
Participant

« Reply #796 on: August 03, 2007, 03:44:54 AM »

Armando's problem is the same that I described here:
http://www.donationcoder....ic=9008.msg70048#msg70048
Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #797 on: August 03, 2007, 11:15:57 AM »

Armando's problem is the same that I described here:
http://www.donationcoder....ic=9008.msg70048#msg70048
Yes, that's it!

Glenn Gould
lethalrocks
Participant

« Reply #798 on: August 06, 2007, 03:06:20 PM »

Bug in #138... (although present in version 1 too)

Some fields are coloured in the tooltip colour, which is fine, but the text isn't the tooltip text colour (which is white for me).

Also, the options dialog is still in ugly MS Sans... can't it be changed the to system font? Same goes for the main window, too, I'd rather not have to set a custom font (although it's good that I can)

Edit: More problems

Minor annoyance #1: When changing alias files, the options dialog flickers once

Minor annoyance #2: After upgrading from v1 (I got two error messages about a timer on installation as it failed to close FARR), I have a run alias in myalias.alias and in sysutils... is there a way for it to detect duplicates (not at runtime, but when migrating the alias file to the modular format)
This means that typing "run" results in two results, not one. Easy to fix by removing the old alias, but since the old one was a default too, the program should really fix it's own changes.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 04:04:54 PM by lethalrocks » Logged
tablaji
Participant

« Reply #799 on: August 09, 2007, 05:24:24 AM »

one small wish:
I am used to select all text in an input box with Ctrl+A, but in FARR, the input field does not react to this.
Mouser, could you implement this?
Pages: Prev 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.044s | Server load: 0.05 ]