topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:27 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Latest FARR v2.00.140 ALPHA PREVIEW Release - Aug 15, 2007  (Read 585029 times)

QuickBrownFox

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Latest FARR v2.00.82 ALPHA PREVIEW Release - APRIL 26, 2007
« Reply #550 on: May 05, 2007, 05:34 AM »
After disabling aliases to get around that bug, I discovered how nice searching for non-contiguous matches is. "add remove" brings up add and remove programs and so on. Even if I put a space in between every letter of my search I always get what I want as the first result, and quickly.

How about an option to treat all search terms as if there is a space between each letter? This would give a really fuzzy search. This could be overkill for file searching but would be really for people like me who only really use farr to launch start menu programs.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #551 on: May 05, 2007, 10:50 AM »
wow that sure is a bug.. thanks for the report, it's at the top of my todo list.
(ps i've said it before and i'll say it again, thank you for everyone testing and reporting bugs. you are life savers.)

jdmarch

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #552 on: May 06, 2007, 06:43 PM »
Another bug... I think. I have a "Favorite Shortcuts" folder on my desktop. It is high on my FARR search folder list. In this folder I have a shortcut to Control Panel's Add-Remove Programs. If I open this shortcut from the folder in explorer directly (not using FARR) the A-R-P window opens fine. But if I invoke it from FARR, it locates the correct shortcut (I see the path to the Favorite Shortcuts folder), but when I select this shortcut, the A-R-P window does not open. In the past (with FARR 1), this worked as intended. I don't think it's ever worked with FARR 2, but I'm not certain.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #553 on: May 06, 2007, 10:38 PM »
jdmarch, for what its worth, farr 2 has built in shortcuts for control cpanel, so just type "cpanel add" or something like that and it should bring it up :)

jdmarch

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #554 on: May 06, 2007, 11:03 PM »
That's great, mouser. I remember that was on the wish list but didn't notice that you'd implemented it already. Suffices to type "cp ad".

Makes my bug report less urgent, but still seems like a bug, no?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #555 on: May 06, 2007, 11:14 PM »
yeah it does seem like a bug.  question, do you have the option checked on the general tab that says "always launch shortcuts directly" ? if not, try it.

jdmarch

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #556 on: May 06, 2007, 11:24 PM »
Yes, "always launch shortcuts directly" is already checked. (And while you didn't ask this, unchecking it doesn't help either!)

cnewtonne

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #557 on: May 07, 2007, 08:36 AM »
Mouser,
Did you get the chance to read my post. I tried the scenario on a different computer with new install and it is still happening. See my post here Reply #543  https://www.donation...24.msg60102#msg60102

cnewtonne

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #558 on: May 07, 2007, 09:20 PM »
ok,
I figured out and it was not something new. I noticed that this severe slowness was only occurring at home office but did not occur at corporate office. I suspected some network resource time-out. The option to 'show search subdir details...' was really great since it showed me where is FARR hanging. Digging in over 500 files I was eventually able to narrow it down to link pointing to a file on the network. Once I removed it, FARR was acting just like an Arabian horse, agile and performing.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #559 on: May 08, 2007, 12:05 AM »
thanks cnewtonne!
do you happen to still have that file/shortcut!
i added code to tell farr to STOP trying to resolve such network shortcuts but it was obviously still trying to.
if you could find it or recreate the phenomena, and help me figure out what it looks like i would appreciate it.
mail me ([email protected]) and we can do via email.

cnewtonne

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #560 on: May 08, 2007, 07:54 AM »
I can easily recreate it, but what is it that you're asking for? Do you mean the link target i.e. UNC path?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #561 on: May 08, 2007, 10:39 AM »
right ok so its UNC path -- FARR is not supposed to be trying to resolve those, but maybe the code snuck back in somewhere, like checking icon. let me try to duplicate and if i can't i'll ask you for the shotcut info.

rojer_31

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
One Wish
« Reply #562 on: May 15, 2007, 12:31 PM »
Hi,

I tried the new alpha just now and it looks fabulous! It looked promising a few months ago, now it is delivering on them :)

I have one simple wish though. I don't know if this has been voiced before, but when I try and type something that works on the normal run window, it doesn't work here. Let me explain:

For example the control panel applets could be run by executing the appropriate *.cpl file:
"sysdm.cpl" for system properties, startup.cpl for startup entries and so on. When I try this with Find and Run robot, it says there are 0 results (which is understandable) but then refuses to run whatever I have typed in.

Incase I am not clear, could you update this so that, when there are 0 results, it will work *exactly* like the standard run box dialog,
and when there are some results, a modifier (maybe shift+enter) that allows me to force it to work exactly as the run box.

This is especially critical when I am running an alternate shell (I sometimes use Blackbox as my shell in wondows) and cannot avail of the standard run dialog at all.

And once again congrats on a stellar program!

Thangaraj

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #563 on: May 15, 2007, 12:41 PM »
you can type:
run sysdm.cpl

"run .*" is an alias that will run something as if you ran it from run box.

also, you can type:
"cpanel .*" where .* is some keywords, and it will show/filter control panel items to run.

rojer_31

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #564 on: May 15, 2007, 03:15 PM »
Thank you.

FARR doesn't seem to remember such "run" commands in history though.

Apart from that, I would still want you to consider it to be a feature request though.

Incase I am not clear, could you update this so that, when there are 0 results, it will work *exactly* like the standard run box dialog,
and when there are some results, a modifier (maybe shift+enter) that allows me to force it to work exactly as the run box.

This could maybe enabled in the advanced options?

Anyway, even without any more features, FARR has just replaced my current launcher (which was launchy btw) ;)

Thank you.
Thangaraj

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #565 on: May 15, 2007, 03:30 PM »
when there are 0 results, it will work *exactly* like the standard run box dialog
not a bad idea -- let me just think about if there would be any problems doing this; having it as an option would be a reasonable solution and i can't see any harm in that.

its also a good idea to remember run commands (and other alias launches) and autocomplete them, let me see if i can figure out a way to add that.. would be a nice feature..

rojer_31

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #566 on: May 15, 2007, 06:20 PM »
when there are 0 results, it will work *exactly* like the standard run box dialog
not a bad idea -- let me just think about if there would be any problems doing this; having it as an option would be a reasonable solution and i can't see any harm in that.

its also a good idea to remember run commands (and other alias launches) and autocomplete them, let me see if i can figure out a way to add that.. would be a nice feature..

Great! Thank you again  :)

rojer_31

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #567 on: May 16, 2007, 05:20 AM »
Ok, here's an example where shift+enter to launch a "run" command might come in handy.

"cmd"

when I type in that I get a list of options based on nircmd (which is not installed on my system by the way). That is all well and fine, but if I just want a command line window, I simply could not get it without the "run " prefix. So a way to launch the command typed in disregarding any results that may be available would be great. This again could be in advanced preferences, if that's your wish.

ps. you could try and add nircmd to the FARR installation, if feasible..

It's great that you continue to listen to new ideas. This is the sort of difference that could make a good product into a great one :)

Thangaraj

jnulu

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #568 on: May 16, 2007, 09:20 PM »
Dear Jesse,

I installed FARR v2 using the link you sent to my email.
As adviced, I installed it without exiting the stable version that I had.
I did this on both my PC's, one at work and the other at home.
Here's what's happening -

With the PC at home:

FARR v2 suddenly quit working without any warning yesterday. Moreover my PC slowed down considerably. I uninstalled FARR v2 and restarted the PC which helped bring things back to normal. I then tried to reinstall FARR v2 and having failed to do so, tried to install the stable version. In both cases, the installation process stops halfway and I get the following error message.
Files Deletion Error.jpg

I tried to remove any remnants of Files and Folders related to FARR from the system so that I can install it afresh but even this I am unable to do as I keep getting this error message.
FARR Error.jpg

With the PC at work

No issues so far! FARR v2 is working fine!

Grateful for any help in restoring FARR on my PC at home.
Best wishes

Jay
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 09:30 PM by jnulu »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #569 on: May 16, 2007, 09:24 PM »
i know the problem.
you dont have to uninstall older version BUT you do have to exit it from tray.

i really need to make that automatic, its very confusing i know.
so just exit farr from tray and then install.

jnulu

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #570 on: May 16, 2007, 10:30 PM »
Thanks for your prompt reply!

I suddenly realized that I have a Start Up utility wherein I have chosen to start FARR on starting the PC up.
I unchecked the 'start FARR on start up' box and thereafter I was able to delete all remains of Files and Folders
of FARR from my system.
Once this was done, I was able to once again install FARR v2 successfully.
Regards

Jay

jballi

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Odd startup bug
« Reply #571 on: May 17, 2007, 09:12 PM »
Re: Odd startup bug.  Original post: https://www.donation...24.msg60160#msg60160

The mysterious holding down of ALT is a classic problem that I used to get a lot in windows before XP. Now it just happens to me every year or something. I notice that your FARR shortcut has an ALT in it so pressing that could start and stop the odd behaviour.
-QuickBrownFox

Thank you for your interest.  I've delayed replying to your post because I wanted the bug to occur again several times so I could do some additional testing...

-Does the problem disappear when you press the ALT key?
-QuickBrownFox

No.  When in the middle of this "bug" (for lack of a better word), almost all input is blocked.  Like a stated earlier, the program acts as though the ALT key is being pressed down.  Pressing the ALT key doesn't change anything.

-When this problem occurs, go to another application (NOT by alt-tab) and press a key. Does the behaviour persist?
-QuickBrownFox
To be honest, I never thought to try to run other applications while FARR is running.  After all, there is no reason to have the FARR window active unless you want it to do stuff.

In a effort to track down this problem, I did have an opportunity to give this a try and... When I clicked to other windows and did stuff (no input block problems) and returned back to the FARR window, the input block was gone.

Just thought I'd point out that it's not necessarily FARR's fault and it could be windows or even the keyboard.
-QuickBrownFox
At this point there is no definitive proof that this is a FARR bug/problem.  However, since this idiosyncrasy only occurs while the FARR window is active (no problems with any other windows, ever), I have to conclude that this is probably a FARR bug.  Of course, if no one else experiences the problem and/or the bug cannot be reproduced, there is not much that can be done.

Thank you for your consideration.

rojer_31

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #572 on: May 18, 2007, 06:28 AM »
I have been searching for an option to enable higher (above normal/10 or higher /13) priority for the FARR process. Am I missing something, or is this option hidden somewhere else???

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #573 on: May 19, 2007, 04:02 AM »
(My mistake.)  :-[
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 10:50 AM by Armando »

jsturtridge

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #574 on: May 21, 2007, 06:40 AM »
New bug:
When browsing through directories that contain an "&" character - i.e. an ampersand.  The status bar doesn't show the ampersand and shows the next character as underlined.  (I appreciate that this is windows default behaviour on showing certain types of strings).

Version: 2.0.0.82

Thanks - Jon.