ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Latest FARR v2.00.140 ALPHA PREVIEW Release - Aug 15, 2007

<< < (57/173) > >>

jgpaiva:
+1 for separate limits. I used to use 9 results and had to change to 20 results after dir search came up. I think this option would solve that problem.

JennyB:

Being able to scroll through all files/folders is handy sometimes.  But that would mean having an option to enable Explicit Directory Searching to use a scrolling listbox for output instead a static display of the N item, ordered search results window you currently use.  The scrolling list would be alpha sorted, preferably (or make options available to change sort order).

Another useful option related to this would be separate max limits for normal searches vs. explicit directory searches?  For normal searches, 9 items has always been plenty - I don't think I've ever gone past the 3rd result item. But for file/directory browsing, I could see needing as many as 50 results visible - if scrolling all results is not an option.

-perlguy (February 09, 2007, 01:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

That sounds like what I've been suggesting. When you do a tab completion FARR doesn't know yet which file you are looking for (maybe you don't either!) so the most helpful thing it can do is throw up a scrolling list of the folder contents, with the focus on the list. Right arrow drills down further if on a folder, left arrow backs out. Any character key echoes to the input box, shifts the focus there and narrows the results.

perlguy:
That sounds like what I've been suggesting. When you do a tab completion FARR doesn't know yet which file you are looking for (maybe you don't either!) so the most helpful thing it can do is throw up a scrolling list of the folder contents, with the focus on the list. Right arrow drills down further if on a folder, left arrow backs out. Any character key echoes to the input box, shifts the focus there and narrows the results.
-JennyB (February 09, 2007, 03:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, that's a much better explanation of the behavior I'd like to see.

mouser:
remember that the farr keyboard maniac answer for this is:
tab autocompletes with the top item in the list
alt+# autocompletes with other suggestions.

or you can down arrow to the suggested subdirector and then right arrow to autocomplet into it.
alt+left arror backs up a directory.

so i think this stuff already exists..

perlguy:
Agreed. Except for the scrolling list of all contents at current level. That's really the big thing that's missing.  Navigation is just retraining muscle memory from the Run box behavior.  But if there's a 100 folders, and you just want to browse through them, that's impossible to do unless you set max results to 100.

In addition to adding "max directory search results", how about adding a "max listbox rows" option. If your max results option is set high enough, and you have more than "max listbox rows" results, you get a scrolling listbox.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version