ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Latest FARR v2.00.140 ALPHA PREVIEW Release - Aug 15, 2007

<< < (32/173) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
also in the meantime, if you don't need the folder search feature, you can always use ver.1
--- End quote ---

i can't think of a reason not to use version 2.  if you don't need the folder search feature, just uncheck the folder search option on the General Options tab.

My programs tend to have a lot of options because I tend to take user suggestions pretty seriously.. I appreciate that more options make it a bit more complicated to find and tweak what you want but I usually tend to err on the side of adding the option.  I do however work hard to make the defaults usable right out of the box.

I think the defaults on FARR v2 are such that most people need never open up the options dialog and change anything; just just the program as is.

I'm definitely willing to hear any suggestions about changes i should make to the default options, but i'm not inclined to make 2 different versions of the program. I would be willing to consider a "simple mode" but i'm not sure what that would be - almost all of the advanced stuff in FARR is completely invisible to the user unless they know how to use it, and it doesnt really interfere with basic use of the program does it?
-mouser (January 16, 2007, 09:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

As one that has just discovered FARR 1 and have been trying to use it I could give you an intuitive feedback on v.2  I'll test-drive V.2 for you but you'll have to tell me where it is?  I can't find it?  I've scanned/read the thread and searched for about an hour, no dice.  Did I miss something?

I will say except for locating folders and data files, it works great out of the box.  The only reason I even went into Options is because I thought I could config it to find my folders and data files.

"Simple Options" mode is a good idea.  When I first opened the Options dialog it was pretty busy.  If you had a "Simple" mode with the basics you could include a checkbox/button for "Advanced Options" which would show what one sees now, but the user would know they are getting into the nitty-gritty works.

lanux128:
i can't think of a reason not to use version 2.  if you don't need the folder search feature, just uncheck the folder search option on the General Options tab.
--- End quote ---
now, that's something i didn't know.. i agree that more options are better, and tinkerers like me always would want to have a look at the options available..

CodeTRUCKER:
Ok, I tried the v.2 Alpha and it works great for me out of the box!  I was able to add another "Search Folder" via right click.  It was on another partition and the folder and files were 6 levels deep!  Worked like a champ!  If there is a list of "Try this, please..." steps, I can try it, but everything I've seen in v.2 works great so far.

I took another look at the Options.  I highly recommend presenting a "Simple Mode" first and then let them find the "Advanced Mode" later.  Just MHO, but here is what I suggest.  There's a lot so I just drew pictures

Note the typo...
[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

[attachthumb=#2][/attachthumb]

[attachthumb=#3][/attachthumb]

[attachthumb=#4][/attachthumb]

[attachthumb=#5][/attachthumb]

mouser:
very thoughtfull suggestions farmsteader, i may just go with your suggestions,

mouser:
I've uploaded a new version with the Advanced vs. Simple mode switch.
There are a couple of items i left in simple mode just to communicate them to user (hotkeys).

I realize the right click menu is a bit complicated BUT i think it's dangerous to remove it in simple mode beause there is no easy way for the user to figure out that it is missing.  Let's just assume the right click menu is something that novice users will never see anyway since they wont be right clicking; if they right click then they are advanced enough to deserve the full thing.

PS.
As i get ready to make this a public release i could also use some advice on a top 10 skins list from the bonus skin pack that i should include with the full release.  The skins pack download includes screenshots by the way for those who want to suggest their favorite skins.  I'd appreciate hearing your choices.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version