ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Latest FARR v2.00.140 ALPHA PREVIEW Release - Aug 15, 2007

<< < (29/173) > >>

hornsts:
Ups.  :D Don't know that this option was meant this way.
Btw. Are there plans about translating FARR?

mouser:
The rest of what you are saying meshes exactly with the discussions we have had in the past about supporting "actions" in a future version of farr.  In this case you want to perform an action on a file or path so you want to be able to have farr help you find a file and then maybe help you chose an action to perform on it (or in opposite order).

Although i think a lot more thought has to go into the "perfect" way to do this.. maybe i can sneak in a preliminary implementation of this using the keyword modifiers that recently got added.

The keyword modifiers start with + and let you restrict search directories and scoring patterns.

So that you can type:
dylan +audio
Which tells farr to only find certain types of files and only look in certain places.

Now what if we added the ability to use +ALIAS syntax as well
which would say to ignore the regular expression of the ALIAS, but use the search result as the $$1 paramater in the alias.

So for example, in your case you would make an alias called hexedit
with commandline "C:\program files\hexedit.exe $$1"

Then to use it you would do
+hexedit myfilepattern
and farr would do normal search as you type myfilepattern as normal, as if +hexedit was a search modifier.
except that you would be launching hexedit on the file when you launch.

Now you gave a complex example of using 2 parameters..  That's a lot more convoluted to handle..
Though conceivably it could be done by letting you trigger the first parameter, and then letting you search for second, but that sounds like it could get a bit messy.

mouser:
Are there plans about translating FARR?
--- End quote ---

I've actually had a good experience translating my URL Snooper program but it does involve a bit of work and maintenance and so it always ends up on the bottom of my todo lists.

hornsts:
Using alias modifier sounds good to me. At least for the most cases.
For complex examples I understand, that this could be messy. Especially with very long paths.
But imagine the launch of programs like winmerge, totalcommander or packing programs, where the file1/file2- or source/target-parameters are used.
What about an additional list with stored parameters?
Just like this faked screenshot?
1. search and save in slot §§# by using a hotkey (incremental adding or until 9 by number)
2. enter alias and insert any of the slotplaceholders §§# and/or additional params in any order as normal
3. execute

Or instead of using a parameterlist these parameters could be treated as special history (always shown) entries with very high scores.
These entries would be deleted by hotkeys.

Or maybe you invent internal commandaliases like ~delsavedparam#. This would also remove the need to open the options by using an internal commandalias like ~setscore <groupname> 1000.

Just some ideas while I'm exploring FARR.

mouser:
this is an interesting idea.. it falls under the rubric of difficult discussions weve had in this section on the best way to deal with actions.. a lot of the ideas for this revolve around a similar scheme of "building up" argument+action chains..  its definitely out of the scope for this version 2 release thoguht, but its something worth thinking about for later release.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version