topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Latest FARR v2.00.140 ALPHA PREVIEW Release - Aug 15, 2007  (Read 585173 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Latest FARR v2.00.25 ALPHA PREVIEW Release - January 13, 2007
« Reply #150 on: January 16, 2007, 02:40 PM »
hornsts, you need a screenshot taking program that creates png formatted files - your screenshot makes my eyes bleed.
Try Screeeshot Captor: https://www.donation...hotcaptor/index.html

DocSavage

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Legend in my own mind
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #151 on: January 16, 2007, 04:14 PM »
For what it is worth, I am only a user who is just now trying to train myself to make more use of the keyboard than the mouse.
I really like FARR. Unobtrusive & dependable little app that is out of sight until I need it, then two keys: "break" & a number (90% of the time it is 1, 2, or 3), & I am up & running with what I want to do in a couple of seconds.It is training me to work more efficiently. I have reccomended it to about a dozen friends.
I do not even understand all the options available now, but I have it set in a way that works for me. From all the discussion (which, admittedly, I don't understand a tenth of :huh:), it looks like you guys are developing a tool that an IT guy would want for server operations. This must be a good thing or you wouldn't be spending so much time & brain sweat on it.
So my suggestion is publish two versions: a "lite" version for guys like me, maybe even a little trimmed back from Ver 2.0, & a "mega" version that will probably become indispensable to guys like you. :Thmbsup:
dk
From believing in Santa to not believing in Santa, from being Santa to looking like Santa, I will never be younger than I am today!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #152 on: January 16, 2007, 07:28 PM »
...my suggestion is publish two versions: a "lite" version for guys like me, maybe even a little trimmed back from Ver 2.0, & a "mega" version ...
that's a good suggestion, DocSavage but currently it's under heavy development & mouser has to move things around.. maybe things will clearer once ver.2 to reaches beta & the dust settles.. also in the meantime, if you don't need the folder search feature, you can always use ver.1 :)

mouser, i agree with Josh (from a few posts above) that this is a good time for a redesign of the options section.. ;)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #153 on: January 16, 2007, 07:37 PM »
For what it is worth, I am only a user who is just now trying to train myself to make more use of the keyboard than the mouse... :Thmbsup:
dk

Me too!  My mouse hand has really started to hurt recently so I came up with an idea I'm calling "TargetKeys" for now that should be out in a month or so.   I'll put your name on a list to let you lnow once it's alive and kicking.  :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #154 on: January 16, 2007, 09:53 PM »
also in the meantime, if you don't need the folder search feature, you can always use ver.1

i can't think of a reason not to use version 2.  if you don't need the folder search feature, just uncheck the folder search option on the General Options tab.

My programs tend to have a lot of options because I tend to take user suggestions pretty seriously.. I appreciate that more options make it a bit more complicated to find and tweak what you want but I usually tend to err on the side of adding the option.  I do however work hard to make the defaults usable right out of the box.

I think the defaults on FARR v2 are such that most people need never open up the options dialog and change anything; just just the program as is.

I'm definitely willing to hear any suggestions about changes i should make to the default options, but i'm not inclined to make 2 different versions of the program. I would be willing to consider a "simple mode" but i'm not sure what that would be - almost all of the advanced stuff in FARR is completely invisible to the user unless they know how to use it, and it doesnt really interfere with basic use of the program does it?

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #155 on: January 16, 2007, 10:03 PM »
also in the meantime, if you don't need the folder search feature, you can always use ver.1

i can't think of a reason not to use version 2.  if you don't need the folder search feature, just uncheck the folder search option on the General Options tab.

My programs tend to have a lot of options because I tend to take user suggestions pretty seriously.. I appreciate that more options make it a bit more complicated to find and tweak what you want but I usually tend to err on the side of adding the option.  I do however work hard to make the defaults usable right out of the box.

I think the defaults on FARR v2 are such that most people need never open up the options dialog and change anything; just just the program as is.

I'm definitely willing to hear any suggestions about changes i should make to the default options, but i'm not inclined to make 2 different versions of the program. I would be willing to consider a "simple mode" but i'm not sure what that would be - almost all of the advanced stuff in FARR is completely invisible to the user unless they know how to use it, and it doesnt really interfere with basic use of the program does it?

As one that has just discovered FARR 1 and have been trying to use it I could give you an intuitive feedback on v.2  I'll test-drive V.2 for you but you'll have to tell me where it is?  I can't find it?  I've scanned/read the thread and searched for about an hour, no dice.  Did I miss something?

I will say except for locating folders and data files, it works great out of the box.  The only reason I even went into Options is because I thought I could config it to find my folders and data files.

"Simple Options" mode is a good idea.  When I first opened the Options dialog it was pretty busy.  If you had a "Simple" mode with the basics you could include a checkbox/button for "Advanced Options" which would show what one sees now, but the user would know they are getting into the nitty-gritty works.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #156 on: January 16, 2007, 11:34 PM »
now, that's something i didn't know.. i agree that more options are better, and tinkerers like me always would want to have a look at the options available..

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #157 on: January 16, 2007, 11:38 PM »
Ok, I tried the v.2 Alpha and it works great for me out of the box!  I was able to add another "Search Folder" via right click.  It was on another partition and the folder and files were 6 levels deep!  Worked like a champ!  If there is a list of "Try this, please..." steps, I can try it, but everything I've seen in v.2 works great so far.

I took another look at the Options.  I highly recommend presenting a "Simple Mode" first and then let them find the "Advanced Mode" later.  Just MHO, but here is what I suggest.  There's a lot so I just drew pictures

Note the typo...
[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

[attachthumb=#2][/attachthumb]

[attachthumb=#3][/attachthumb]

[attachthumb=#4][/attachthumb]

[attachthumb=#5][/attachthumb]

« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 12:08 AM by Farmsteader »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #158 on: January 16, 2007, 11:43 PM »
very thoughtfull suggestions farmsteader, i may just go with your suggestions,

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #159 on: January 17, 2007, 01:30 AM »
I've uploaded a new version with the Advanced vs. Simple mode switch.
There are a couple of items i left in simple mode just to communicate them to user (hotkeys).

I realize the right click menu is a bit complicated BUT i think it's dangerous to remove it in simple mode beause there is no easy way for the user to figure out that it is missing.  Let's just assume the right click menu is something that novice users will never see anyway since they wont be right clicking; if they right click then they are advanced enough to deserve the full thing.

PS.
As i get ready to make this a public release i could also use some advice on a top 10 skins list from the bonus skin pack that i should include with the full release.  The skins pack download includes screenshots by the way for those who want to suggest their favorite skins.  I'd appreciate hearing your choices.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #160 on: January 17, 2007, 01:34 AM »
Note:
The latest version (2.00.35) now tries to reduce font size on Large Font displays to eliminate the cropping of labels and stuff seen before on Large Font displays. Ironically, i think this makes the font a bit harder to read then if one were in small font mode BUT at least everything should fit on screen I hope.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #161 on: January 17, 2007, 02:19 AM »
I've uploaded a new version with the Advanced vs. Simple mode switch.
There are a couple of items i left in simple mode just to communicate them to user (hotkeys).

I realize the right click menu is a bit complicated BUT i think it's dangerous to remove it in simple mode beause there is no easy way for the user to figure out that it is missing.  Let's just assume the right click menu is something that novice users will never see anyway since they wont be right clicking; if they right click then they are advanced enough to deserve the full thing.

Makes sense.

PS.
As i get ready to make this a public release i could also use some advice on a top 10 skins list from the bonus skin pack that i should include with the full release.  The skins pack download includes screenshots by the way for those who want to suggest their favorite skins.  I'd appreciate hearing your choices.

When are you wanting to go "Gold?" (read: how much time do we have to do this?)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #162 on: January 17, 2007, 02:36 AM »
There's no hard and fast deadline - i was thinking it would be ready this week.. I'd like to be able to announce it in the next newsletter on Jan 22nd, so let's consider that a hard deadline.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #163 on: January 17, 2007, 03:19 AM »
Skins I would recommend based on the screenshots included in the skin pack:

wmpx-XMP2
VistaXP-VISTAXPS2.jpg
TD4-PANTHER.jpg
SYSTEM4
Sustenance
Royal1
RoueGrey
OpusOS
Luna
Luna (Longhorn Revolution)
LE4
Clearlooks

I have not listed any color variations specifically. Any skins which change the minimize/maximize buttons I think should not be included, nor any that had interface elements misaligned (see Head1 Head2 in the screenshots and up/down arrows). Exception for OpusOS.  :-* Tried to list the most usable ones instead of the crazy ones.

DocSavage

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Legend in my own mind
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #164 on: January 17, 2007, 06:37 AM »
Hey! I can read the options box now.  :Thmbsup:
When I installed the latest release I got an error message. attached. The error persisted after I shut down my anti-virus & re-tried the installation. Same on two machines. I got it installed by skipping the file.
Of the skins I tried, I like "longhorn" best. It fits the style of my current GUIs
dk
From believing in Santa to not believing in Santa, from being Santa to looking like Santa, I will never be younger than I am today!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2007, 06:45 AM »
hehehe don't skip the file - its the update!
It just means the old version of the program is still running in that tray - exit it from the tray and then install :)

hornsts

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #166 on: January 17, 2007, 06:48 AM »
Sorry mouser, but in v2.00.35 the score bug is back. e.g. If I edit the regex and save then score is set to 0.00. Every time I edit an entry I have to set the score to an Integer value. The use of . or , always leads to 0.00.

Regarding skins I like:
Luna, Luna Longhorn Revolution), iTunes, Royale1, Sustance and VistaXP

DocSavage

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Legend in my own mind
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #167 on: January 17, 2007, 07:01 AM »
Mouser,
I like the new options box. Advanced Users and, uh...me. :huh:
Thanks for the error box explanation.
dk

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #168 on: January 17, 2007, 07:04 AM »
I just downloaded the latest version.
The "simple mode" was a grand idea. I think it might be a big help for begginers! (I'd love to see their face when they change from "simple mode" to "advanced mode",  :D :D)
I think the stuff in the simple mode is well chosen, i'd leave it like that.

In terms of skins, my all-time favourite is mxskin31.skn. This is the one i've been using ever since my first instalation of farr.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #169 on: January 17, 2007, 07:09 AM »
Actually, I would add aliases to the simple dialog simply because they are a commonly used feature and quite easy to figure out.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #170 on: January 17, 2007, 07:35 AM »
Actually, I would add aliases to the simple dialog simply because they are a commonly used feature and quite easy to figure out.

josh you just spent the last month trying to convince me they were too hard to use!

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #171 on: January 17, 2007, 07:42 AM »
Please be so kind and send me a DL link. :Thmbsup:

Thanks,

Brahman
Regards, Brahman

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #172 on: January 17, 2007, 11:13 AM »

josh you just spent the last month trying to convince me they were too hard to use!

Actually, My complaint isnt that they are hard to use. My complaint is that I feel that there should be a separation of KEYWORDS (designed to launch a single program/url) and aliases, designed to launch various items with different possible options.

pomj

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #173 on: January 17, 2007, 05:15 PM »
PS.

mxskin31, all opusOS, RoueGrey-Slim, System4-black2 and system4-blue are my favourites.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #174 on: January 17, 2007, 05:33 PM »
What would you think of changing the word "VIEW" to "Mode" on the Options menu?