topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:29 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Schedule  (Read 15262 times)

hawleyj

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Schedule
« on: September 26, 2007, 09:00 PM »
I've only been a member for a few months so I may not understand the background but it's starting to seem like FARR 2 is vaporware. Even the download page shows a delayed date of July crossed out over the promise of an August release. It is now almost October and I don't see any real discussion of an actual release date - not that it would be received with any confidence at this point.
It sounded like a good piece of software and I did not install the current version due to the promised features and availability of version 2. Now it seems that version 2 may never actually arrive? Any feedback as to actual status would be appreciated.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Schedule
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 09:18 PM »
for vaporware, the developer teases you with mock-up screenshots with no download links.. on the other hand, Farr2 can be downloaded and being actively updated with plugin support. the latest being the plugin for Locate..

but of course, you are entitled to raise your concern but don't worry Farr2 is working fine as it is now. the public release date is only moot point as i see it.. :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 09:54 PM »
i've done a really poor job of explaining the delays, and i can definitely understand why people are confused and irritated.

but the bottom line is as lanux says: FARR 2 isn't vaporware, in fact it's being used by tons of people and can be downloaded now.

it's not that FARR 2 hasn't been released -- it's that i've been keeping it as an "unofficial" pre-release longer than planned.  typically with my programs i release the early beta versions publicly and then go on to improve and release as i go.  i thought this time i would try out the approach of keeping a program in an unofficial pre-release state until i was really happy with everything about describing it as in a kind of "final" state, with a new website, tutorial videos, etc. 

that's taking longer than i thought because i've got a few other projects i'm juggling at the same time.

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 01:52 AM »
that's taking longer than i thought because i've got a few other projects i'm juggling at the same time.

don't worry mouser, it's always taking longer than we think...  ;)

But :
  • i miss the frequent releases (not one since august 19 ... :()
  • hawleyj has a good point, you should really really change that webpage stating :
    Public Release Will Happen in
    JULY AUGUST 2007
    as well as the beginning of the FARR2 thread, i think...

Nitrix

PS:
@hawleyj, you should try FARR, this is one of the best piece of software there is :Thmbsup:
it is NO vaporware
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 01:57 AM by nitrix-ud »

hawleyj

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 12:47 PM »
Thanks for the responses.
Basically you have said that the available version is reliable and stable.
I had thought about trying FARR 2 but on the download page it is described as an ALPHA PREVIEW release. To me, an alpha version means slow, buggy and prone to crash your computer with amazing regularity. Usually you see alpha releases accompanied by major warnings about possible catastrophic consequences if you are stupid enough to run it without completely backing up your computer first.
This leaves me still conflicted but I guess I will try it.

thomthowolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Bad software makes me tired
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 01:04 PM »
Thanks for the responses.
 To me, an alpha version means slow, buggy and prone to crash your computer with amazing regularity. Usually you see alpha releases accompanied by major warnings about possible catastrophic consequences if you are stupid enough to run it without completely backing up your computer first.
This leaves me still conflicted but I guess I will try it.

I have been "testing"   ;)  the pre-release for some time now, and I have found it to be rock solid, and getting more capable all the time.  Have no fear, I can recommend this software absolutely. :Thmbsup:
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 03:47 PM »
i agree with thomthowolf

FARR won't break your computer, it still crashes sometimes under very specific conditions

but overall, it is an amazing app  :D

OkRob

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 03:54 PM »
I agree with nitrix-ud and thomthowolf also. I have been using FARR 2 for a few months now and it works fine with no problems on my end using it. It is a truly amazing program. Don't hesitate to try it out. You too will be amazed.  :Thmbsup:

Rob

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 07:16 PM »
the reason Farr2 is still "alpha preview release" is because mouser is a one-man show and he also codes other programs, answer feature requests, trouble-shoot bug reports, participates in the DC IRC Channel (you can chat with him there), send out member kits all over the world and occasionally takes time off to sleep, eat and do other things not directly related to DC and i mean this as a compliment. :) so i do hope that you try out Farr2..

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 07:24 PM »
Might as well add my voice here - FARR 2 is amazing and on my system rock solid :-*

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 09:38 PM »
Farr is very stable. In this specific case, TO ME alpha is a synonym for  "not yet officially released". Maybe mouser should consider using the word "beta" (yes, it does exist, mouser)??? or even release candidate???

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 01:10 AM »
Might as well add my voice here - FARR 2 is amazing and on my system rock solid :-*
Ditto!

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 04:35 AM »
yeah release candidate would be better wording the developmental state of the program. or 'ready' lol.