ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

new system install - avoiding the BLOOOOAAAAAT

<< < (2/2)

brotherS:
Well, how many codecs you need depend on how queer the videos you want to watch are :)
-f0dder (January 15, 2007, 04:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
True :)

Also, I think that VLC (videolan) has built-in decoding support for a LOT of formats - if not VLC, it was some other player.
-f0dder (January 15, 2007, 04:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, but IMHO Zoom Player is much better if you are a true keyboard user. I use VLC as an alternative player to test files should Zoom Player have a problem with them.

dk70:
You could also improve on WMP MP3 encoding, upgrade it to proffessional. Already on hd so no need for more.

Go to System32 folder then rename l3codeca.acm to l3codeca.bak. Then copy l3codecp.acm to l3codeca.acm.

From this thread http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=238704&highlight=media+player+mp3+registry and still works with WMP11 - I just did it. Fraunhofer should say 3.4.0(build 0) in about box and encoding options be unlimited where ever you want to use it, not limited to any app. Almost freeware from Microsoft. I found this trick when I had problems with LAME, Fraunhofer just worked a lot better with the tv-software I used at the time.

Ive never really been into extensive codec use but enough to have messed up. There are tools to sort out codec conflicts but very complicated. Can get to a point where you must reinstall OS! Much more than MMcompView http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mmview.html is complicated to me. Less is better is what Ive found, let VLC take care of strange videos.

Probably unfair to warn against codec packs because some could be tested really well. But do they conflict with what editing tool install or not? Do they uninstall properly?

Ive dumped Quicktime Alternative, even Real Time Alternative. Not really much of a difference but of course you have to disable a bit to avoid a few startup tasks. Not a big problem. Even Real Time does not seem intrusive, have to go through settings though. Some question of legality with QA since it is a real "Pro" version with serial number punched in. Might bother you. DivX much the same, disable everything but codec itself during installation and what is difference to any pack?

nudone:
i see that we are quickly getting into the 'art' of codec management.

k-lite gave me trouble somewhere along the way that's why i switched to cccp - their blurb convinced me they had tested everything thoroughly and ensured they'd created a pack tested far more than any other. it wasn't the magic bullet so i'm not recommending it over any other pack.

vlc is something i've also moved away from. i've found kmplayer to suite my purposes better but the truth is that they are probably evenly matched in what they can do - i know there are plenty of keyboard shortcuts for kmplayer but i've no idea if this is more or less than vlc or zoom.

f0dder, i'll try your recommendation for mp3 settings - just to make sure.

dk70, i'll consider your suggestions but i'll probably leave it until i encounter a problem with encoding.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version