topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 4:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: O&O Defragmenter 8.5  (Read 4177 times)

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
O&O Defragmenter 8.5
« on: December 18, 2006, 11:16 AM »
Hi All,

I just noticed that O&O has just released a new version of its defragmenter, v8.5.   I used to rely on PerfectDisk, but since version 6, I see no real improvements in every new version, just cosmetic changes.

Are there any opinions on this new O&O release ?  And yes, I do use also Power Defragmenter GUI + Sysinternals' contig.exe

Thanks.
.merle1.

broken85

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: O&O Defragmenter 8.5
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 03:41 PM »
merle1,

I didn't notice much of a difference when going from v 8 to v 8.5 (which was at least a few months ago), and it was a free minor version update, so I don't think there are any earth-shattering changes. O&O Defrag 8 in general however, if you have not used it, is absolutely outstanding!  :Thmbsup:

I think the most likely back-end changes to any defrag software are optimizations to any number of its system-intensive functions, such as the various types of analysis and data layout options, as well as the defragmentation process itself. Most of the time such changes go unnoticed by casual users, and a lot of times UI changes are the ones that stand out as a result.

I think in order to be worth paying for an upgrade to defrag software should either introduce new features, or provide a substantial improvement to the usability or performance.

One feature I'd love to see in a future version of O&O is a graphical layout builder where you can arrange the drive's data and then carry out a defrag based on the generated file. Currently you can use a layout file but must create it manually and there isn't abundant information about the steps required to do so. If that's a part of the next version, it'll be an upgrade I'll get for sure.

Regarding O&O vs PerfectDisk:
I tested O&O and PerfectDisk a year or so ago, and thought they both were about equal as far as features and performance. After having used O&O ever since, I recently downloaded the new PerfectDisk evaluation and tested it out. I was surprised to find the interface was noticeably laggier than O&O, didn't look quite as polished, and it took almost twice as long to analyze my drives to boot! At that point my PD re-evaluation was over and my faith in O&O reaffirmed.
--
Ben M

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 04:05 PM »
Thanks for your view on this. 

I just found out a nice feature in the O&O demo software, the integrated 3D screensaver that activates a custom defrag (any drive, any mode) and displays this on a 3D rotating view of the layout !

There is only one feature I miss from PerfectDisk, well..., actually two :
- the ability to offline defrag most drives without rebooting, except if there are some locks that cannot be released during the defrag process
- the way directories are sorted out in PD "smart placement", which is almost equivalent to O&O "Modified" Option, except dir. are not sorted with O&O.

.merle1.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 06:14 PM »
The only defrag app I've used since moving from 9x->NT that made a perceivable difference from the built-in NT defragger is PerfectDisk. Diskeeper doesn't seem to be worth much. Haven't tried O&O Defrag in a while, might find a trial and give it a spin sometime...

I'll have to agree that there doesn't seem to have been major benefits from new versions of PerfectDisk lately, though. The only thing I've noticed is the somewhat laggy UI, appearantly introduced because they switched to wxWidgets.
- carpe noctem