topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: New Disclosure Line Required When you Write a Mini-Review  (Read 8123 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
New Disclosure Line Required When you Write a Mini-Review
« on: December 17, 2006, 08:40 PM »
We have not had any cases of the author of a mini-review writing a review for payment, but with all the current publicity around these pay-per-post services which are paying people to write about products, i thought we should be proactive.

I have added a field to the mini review template which explicitly requires mini-review authors to disclose any relationship they might have with a product/company they are reviewing.  This will be present in our full reviews as well:

Screenshot - 12_17_2006 , 8_31_24 PM.png

Remember, any time you write about any program/service whose relationship to you is not obvious by the nature of the post, you must disclose your relationship. Furthermore, we do not allow people to make paid posts on this forum, even with disclosure.

I think these rules are important in ensuring that the opinions you read on this forum and website reflect the real views of real people.

Unlike many sites, we welcome authors to post about their own software here, in the appropriate places and with a clear indication that they are talking about their own stuff.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New Disclosure Line Required When you Write a Mini-Review
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 02:30 AM »
good idea.

mrHappy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 05:03 AM »
in theory great idea, but who's too say that people won't lie when writing something in it.
There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who have friends.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 05:22 AM »
Well we can't stop people from lying.. All we can do is make it clear that it won't be tolerated here and eliminate the possibilities of mistakes and excuses.

If we found out someone was being paid to write good things about a program we would publicly warn people to stay away from it, so I think that is enough of an incentive to keep people from trying it here.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 06:20 AM »
For now, we'll take enthusiastic reviews with a grain of salt... unless it's Zaine Ridling talking about XYplorer or me about Opera ;D

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 10:45 AM »
For now, we'll take enthusiastic reviews with a grain of salt... unless it's Zaine Ridling talking about XYplorer or me about Opera ;D

Or zaine talking about anything he likes ;-)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 02:16 PM »

If I start bouncing off the walls saying good stuff about any software with a price tag, either assume I won the lottery or I really like it x10.