topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:24 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Volt - v0.0.6 - December 17, 2006  (Read 38114 times)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Volt - v0.0.6 - December 17, 2006
« on: December 17, 2006, 10:33 AM »
Volt - v0.0.6 - December 17, 2006
  • First public release.

WHAT IT DOES:
I humbly submit "Volt", a tray-based, hotkey-driven system volume controller.  The app is a redux of VolumeTray (http://glorysoft.omsk.ru/volumetray.html) that can use the same skin format but that will allow me to add/change a few things that VolumeTray does not have/allow.

SCREENSHOT:
Tray menu and default skin icon:

Options dialog:

FILES:

Main installer:
http://www.autohotkey.net/~skwire/apps/volt/volt-setup.exe

Help file (CHM format):
http://www.autohotkey.net/~skwire/apps/volt/Volt.chm

Additional "Mirrored" skin pack:
http://www.autohotkey.net/~skwire/apps/volt/volt-mirrored-color-pack.zip

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Volt - v0.0.6 - December 17, 2006
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 08:07 PM »
very nice.  so glad you participated skwire  :Thmbsup:

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 06:31 PM »
Does this support windows vista? I tried it, and it didn't do anything to my volume while on vista, I haven't tried it on xp yet.
[Insert really cool signature here]

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 06:06 AM »
Does this support windows vista? I tried it, and it didn't do anything to my volume while on vista, I haven't tried it on xp yet.

I really doubt it.  I've no desire to access or install Vista.  Apologies.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 01:14 PM »
I was just asking because at the time I was using headphones, and had to plug then directly into the computer and they don't have a volume control, and I use xp and vista, but now I got everything working, and don't use vista that much.
[Insert really cool signature here]

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 01:56 AM »
Good to hear.  So, does it work in Vista?  I'm curious to know.

jbeek

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 12:40 AM »
Cool program!  Just in case you're looking for ideas  :)  , what do you think of adding an on-screen display of the volume level (and mute state) as the hotkeys are pressed (if that's even possible)?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 04:51 AM »
Cool program!

Thank you.

Just in case you're looking for ideas  :)  , what do you think of adding an on-screen display of the volume level (and mute state) as the hotkeys are pressed (if that's even possible)?

I went with the tray icon approach since it's always visible (provided you don't auto-hide the taskbar). However, what you suggest is easily done.  What did you have in mind?  Coloured bars?

jbeek

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 07:05 AM »
I went with the tray icon approach since it's always visible (provided you don't auto-hide the taskbar). However, what you suggest is easily done.  What did you have in mind?  Coloured bars?

Yeah, something along those lines.  Maybe the word "Volume" next to a series of short vertical bars in the middle of the screen, with a bar for every 10% or so.  Not sure what to do about the mute state...either a "Mute" and "Unmute" replacing the bars, or simply an "x" for mute and the bars for whatever the current volume level is for unmute.

I agree, the system tray icon is pretty handy (I like Volumetray's "BlackSquare" myself)...on-screen bars would just mean not having to look down to find it.  It's really no biggie, I like your program as it is; the bars would just give it that little bit extra to make it perfect.

Thanks!

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 08:02 AM »
jbeek, check your PMs.

skywalka

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 01:11 PM »
Hi skwire.  Thanx for sharing this.

I love the leftclick mute functionality & the small mixer panel.

I'd also like to see the volume represented by a simple bar in the tray like VolumeTray.  Preferrably not green & red because that would be too similar to various task managers.

NirSorft Volumouse allows you to change the volume with the mouse only (no keyboard required) which is why I'll stick with that for now.

I made the mistake of opeining the options dialogue when it was already opened:
---------------------------
Volt.exe
Error: The same variable cannot be used for more than one control per window.  The current thread will exit.

Specifically: vddl_TrayMenu_Click_1

Line#
--->   168: Gui,3: Add,DropDownList,xs+55  ys+20 w130 h20 Choose%ddl_TrayMenu_Click_1% AltSubmit R4 vddl_TrayMenu_Click_1,Mute|Volume Slider|Playback Mixer Panel|Recorder Mixer Panel

OK   

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 02:26 PM »
Hi skwire.  Thanx for sharing this.

You're welcome.

I'd also like to see the volume represented by a simple bar in the tray like VolumeTray.  Preferrably not green & red because that would be too similar to various task managers.

Hmmm...I'm not sure what you mean here since you can use VolumeTray skins with Volt.  Is there a certain VolumeTray skin you're talking about?  If not, can you provide an image of what you want and I can make you a custom skin for Volt.

NirSorft Volumouse allows you to change the volume with the mouse only (no keyboard required) which is why I'll stick with that for now.

This is a great utility.   I don't use the default Windows shell so, unfortunately, some of its keyboard-less functionality doesn't work for me.  I do have a lot of its keyboard-less functionality built into my main AutoHotkey script, though.

I made the mistake of opeining the options dialogue when it was already opened:

Aye, thanks for telling me this.  I'll fix it in the next release.  Also, for the next release, I have implemented a simple OSD per jbeek's request.  Here's a screenshot:
volt_osd.jpg

It's bitmap based, so it's easy to make your own customised OSD bar.  What do you think?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 02:29 PM by skwire »

skywalka

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 03:28 PM »

Hmmm...I'm not sure what you mean here
That's cause I'm an idiot who didn't realise the skins were for the system tray icon. :loopy:  While were on the subject, I don't know why you don't use a skin with the bar as default.  I'd also prefer the bar to take up the whole width of the icon but now I'm getting picky. :)

for the next release, I have implemented a simple OSD per jbeek's request.  It's bitmap based, so it's easy to make your own customised OSD bar.  What do you think?
I like to have the system tray icon so that you can see the volume without having to change it, but when it comes to changing, an OSD is optimum & that one looks just fine.

jbeek

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 12:02 AM »
I like to have the system tray icon so that you can see the volume without having to change it, but when it comes to changing, an OSD is optimum & that one looks just fine.

Yeah, I use VolumeTray's "BlackSquare" tray icon ... it's simple in that it is a black square with a vertical bar indicating volume level, and a big red "X" on top when mute is on.

ander2255

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 03:19 PM »
Hi guys,

Just thought I'd mention that I had to use Windows XP Compatibility Mode to get Volt (1.0.1 build 3) to work with Windows 7. Also:

...For the next release, I have implemented a simple OSD per jbeek's request.  Here's a screenshot... It's bitmap based, so it's easy to make your own customised OSD bar.

That was nearly four years ago. Do you still plan to release a new version? The graphic OSD would be useful. (When I saw the OSD composed of text characters, I assumed it was just more Win 7 incompatibility... It is nostalgic, though!)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 08:14 PM »
Apologies for the trouble.  The capability has been in there this whole time.  For whatever reason, I haven't linked to the OSD zip.  Extract this to your Volt folder and choose Reload from the tray menu.

http://skwire.dcmemb...ps/volt/Volt-OSD.zip

Just thought I'd mention that I had to use Windows XP Compatibility Mode to get Volt (1.0.1 build 3) to work with Windows 7.

FWIW, on my website I do state it's for Windows XP and below.  Honestly, with all the changes to the sound sub-system in Windows 7, I'm surprised it works at all.  Thanks for testing!   :)

ander2255

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 08:27 PM »
Hi skwire,

Thanks for your reply (especially considering the age of this thread!).

Your new OSD files work great! You didn't mention it, but it's also necessary to make this setting for it to work:

Right-click the system tray icon > Options > select the "OSD - Enable" checkbox > OK

This may seem obvious. But when I saw that a color was already selected in your "OSD" submenu, I didn't understand why no OSD appeared. (And I'm a technical writer—I'm supposed to be good at this stuff!)

May I make a suggestion? When you add the OSD folder to your normal install, I'd enable OSD by default. Then you could add a "Disabled" item to your OSD submenu, which the user could select if they didn't want the OSD. And of course the OSD submenu and your Options > "Enabled" checkbox would always have the same setting.

It baffles me why Microsoft didn't include a more visible volume display. And Volt is the only one I could find that works properly (set to XP Compatibility Mode). So thanks again! Cheers, Andy

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 03:32 AM »
Volume2 is another useful app for volume control:

http://code.google.com/p/volume2/

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 08:14 AM »
Nice find.  :Thmbsup: There is also Volumouse (and a new beta) from NirSoft.  I really should update Volt (one of my oldest apps) to support Windows 7.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2011, 01:35 AM »
Or add mouse-only option. By drawind a circle with your mouse (like in Magic Formation) a small tyre-like object would appear on the screen. By scrooling your mouse that object would get filled with color from right to left- more scrolling, higher volume you would get. Scroll down to set volume lower. After a couple seconds of inactivity it would dissapear ...

It could get useful for Trout also because some don't want for Trout to appear on screen at all (not even Minibar) ...

It could also have special mode for people who are disabled. There are people that just can't use keys because they can't move their fingers/arms etc. I heard of software that enables you to move a mouse just with the moving of your eyes. With eye movement they could so invoke Volt although I do not know how would they mimic scrolling to move volume up/down...

Another idea: make Volt recognize speech  :). So when Volt is activated and someone says Down/Up, volume gets up/down to a certain degree.

Possibilities are endless. You just have to explore them (although my post doesn't make sense  :D)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 01:51 AM by panzer »

Bziur

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 09:31 AM »
Please x64 version~~

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 09:49 AM »
Unfortunately, the audio sub-system changed entirely in Vista and W7 so I'm not sure if I'll ever get Volt updated to support those OSs.   :(