ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

Amazing Conversation on your site

<< < (3/4) > >>

Darwin:
I took it as an effort to make the postings appear "genuine" - as if the poster had sat down and written to each forum individually, with thought and care. Looks kind of like mailmerge-y type software was used. Given that all of the poster's posts in other forums are absolutely identical I think I'm right! One additional question, though, is why make it a hyerlink?

mouser:
the forum software automatically makes it a hyperlink, so they didnt do that.

Darwin:
Ah... I had a (half-baked) notion that some sort of bot software might be being used to scan the internet for hits on the hyperlink... Like I said, half-baked. In googling the id, I noted that there are at least two websites associated with it. One has something to do with mortgages, but takes you to a free French webhost with a bunch of advertising links, and the other is no longer valid but the title suggested that it had something to do with being paid to post messages in forums (hence my half-formed idea about bot software, or something of that ilk).

ravenlaughs:
Interesting...It almost seems as if there are certain designated pioneers making innocuous posts that appear real, usually a question. I've seen a couple of spam runs from the beginning. Thank goodness SMF has made it possible to keep the worst sh1th34ds out. Forum spammers love their own stink.

nite_monkey:
wow, I haven't seen a user do that before, googling his user name you find a bunch of forums that he has posted the same thing on, I haven't looked at all of them, just the first 4, and they said the same thing. I hate those kind of people.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version