ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2007

Backup Revision Folder

<< < (3/5) > >>

brett:
Thanks for your feedback nikos. much appreciated.

I added a file called "New file" to be monitored. It picked up the changes ok. The "Open run master file" button didn't seem to do anything.
--- End quote ---
Open/Run master file. should run the files associated program. ie   sample.html opens in Thunderbird   sample.doc opens Word   sample.pdf opens acrobat reader.
If this is not happening, let me know.

now here are a few items to be taken as constructive criticism
--- End quote ---
I have never used a revision system, so I am hoping for constructive criticism.   :P

* have the option instead of automatic backups to make backups "on demand" (how a normal repository engine would work). When my day is through I want to store the changes
--- End quote ---
Sounds good, will try to implement. In the meantime, you should be able to 'pause monitoring' via the Tray. and then 'start monitoring' at the end of the day. this should cycle through each file that has changed and prompt for input . *untested*
I have the unique ability to break something very quickly, hence the live monitoring, and multiple saves per hour.

* allow whole folders (with subfolders) to be added for monitoring
--- End quote ---
this is probably above what I intended this to be used for, I was after a simple way to monitor around 4-5 files i was working on.  I am not sure how live monitoring of 100+ files would impact on CPU usage etc.

* some structure in your "backup" folder will be necessary especially when a lot of items are monitored, eg one subfolder per item tracked
--- End quote ---
yes, at present, each file monitored creates its own folder in the backup directory. but I will give it some more thought.

* this keep-it tool would store the revisions into a single compressed file, which isn't a bad idea (eg compound storage)
--- End quote ---
another good idea, but is not possible in AHK without some additional files, and more experience then what i have.  :)

Thanks for feedback
Brett

f0dder:
this is probably above what I intended this to be used for, I was after a simple way to monitor around 4-5 files i was working on.  I am not sure how live monitoring of 100+ files would impact on CPU usage etc.

--- End quote ---
It seems like you continually poll files for their last-modify timestamp?

I don't know how easy this is to use from AHK, but windows supports "file change notifications", so you don't have to continually poll. Iirc it's slightly clunky to work with, but it might be worth looking into.

jonno:
this reminds me of a tool called "keepit" (http://www.keep-it.com/) which was the exact kind of thing you were after. It was perfect for one man shows, but sadly it is no longer developed and doesn't run properly in XP SP2. I had to turn to tortoiseSVN which is total overkill. I'll have a go with yours and give you my feedback
-umeca74 (January 09, 2007, 06:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hi,

In what way doen't it work in XP. I found that it indeed won't install properly. It put's two dll's and an inf file in the folder: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ShellExt
The dll's won't register on install, but if you register them manually keep-it seems to work ok.

BTW: are you aware of VCS lite: http://www.acaciacons.com.au/vcslite/vcslite.htm
It also let's you keep revision of files in a compressed archive.

Regards,
John

umeca74:
on my *SP2* keepit invariably either fails to take snapshots or can't browse into snapshots for anything that resembles a large collection of files.

thanks for the vcslite link, it looks interesting, although i'll be really upset if that thing turns out to be good, now that i've changed every project of mine into tortoiseSVN  :mad: :)

on face value though it only deals with individual files, not whole folders

brett:
Small update
Version 2.1
+ Added Folder Size to Control Panel
* changed 'Last saved date' to 'Last edited date' (text only)
+ Added new Tray menu command 'Check Now'

see 1st post for new file.

Thanks
 Brett

all comments, suggestions and improvements welcome.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version