topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Very odd graphics problem - anyone any ideas ?  (Read 4492 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Very odd graphics problem - anyone any ideas ?
« on: December 15, 2006, 05:03 AM »
I have been trying to troubleshoot this with the graphics card manufacturer for a while but they seem stumped as do ASUS who made my mobo.

The situation is this -

2 x BFG GeForce 7300 GT OC 256Mb PCIe
ASUS A8N32-SLI mobo
AMD Athlon64 X2 4600+ CPU
Windows XP SP2 Pro (32-bit)

(some of you may notice my system specs have changed already - the other bits have been put to good use with a cheap DFI motherboard to build a friend a new system!)

Everything works fine for normal use and I run the two cards in SLI mode.

The only problem I have is that if when run a task such as CHKDSK or PrefectDisk which requires to reboot and run at boot time.

Normally utilities that run at boot time appear after the Windows logo on a blue screen and show their progress but on my system the screen goes blank and when they complete my system starts normally. The processes execute but I an't see progress or any errors that occur.

If I disable SLI and then disable the card in the second PCIe slot in Device Manager it works fine.

BFG suggested either a car was not working properly or the sencond PCIe slot wasn't operating properly. To test this I removed both cards and then insterted each card as a single card and tried them both in both PCIe slots. Bothe cards in both slots work fine and I don't get the boot-time display problem.

I have tried different GeForce driver versions with no changes.

It seems to me to be a driver issue during windows startup. (possibly the data is being output onto a second monitor and since there isn't one plugged in I can't see anything - but if I swap my monitor to the second card I don't see anything when both cards are enabled).

Anyone got any ideas at all how to troubleshoot this. ASUS and BFG tech support both seem totally stumped and both say they have no previous record of this issue. BFG have suggested RMAing the cards but since they seem to work fine I am not sure what this would achieve (apart from not having a working system for a while).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 05:06 AM by Carol Haynes »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Very odd graphics problem - anyone any ideas ?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 05:10 AM »
can't really offer any help but i get this kind of problem with my graphics cards when i've got them set up for tv out.

it's understandable when i've ONLY got tv out set on a card but i've had cards do it when they just felt like doing it - never figured out why - i just forgot about it.

i hope you find the solution but i wouldn't be surprised if there isn't an answer - that works.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 05:16 AM by nudone »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 05:14 AM »
That's a relief I thought I was alone ;)

At least I have a workaround that works but it is a bit of a nuisance with multiple reboots disabling SLI and a graphics card before setting up the boot time op and then re-eneabling the card and SLI afterwards!

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 04:56 PM »
Do you get the same behaviour when you boot from a linux live CD, such as Mandriva CD
ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.mandriva.com/MandrivaLinux/official/iso/2007.0/One/mandriva-one-2007-free-kde.iso ?

If yes, that means it's a BIOS or harware problem. If no, it's probably a Windows driver problem.  Just my 2 cents...
.merle1.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 05:34 PM »
I haven't tried Mandriva (good suggestion) but when I boot from an Acronis CD (with TrueImage and DiskDirector) there are no problems with graphics and both use a CD based Linux distro to start up.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 11:00 PM »
I've had (and probably still have? :) ) the same issue, only with a single card with two monitors attached... haven't tested if it still happens after I changed my GF6600 to a GF7600GT, though.
- carpe noctem

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 11:52 PM »
No you are not alone http://www.nvnews.ne...owthread.php?t=72678

I googled "nvidia sli load xp chkdsk black screen" may be more useful to dig at NVnews forum.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 06:00 AM »
Thanks dk70 - that is a useful bit of info - I have signed up and subscribed to the thread !

I have tried contacting nVidia support but unfortunately their support form doesn't seem to work properly for unregistered users (although it is supposed to with just an email address) and their registration system is broken. One way of avoiding providing support I suppose!