topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:10 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: FreePcSecurity - v1.00.01 - December 14, 2006  (Read 32487 times)

dementedmuppet

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FreePcSecurity - v1.00.01 - December 14, 2006
« on: December 14, 2006, 11:13 PM »
FreePcSecurity - v1.00.01 - December 14, 2006

• First release
  • Based on a friend's website
  • When I send people with questions to his site, they are too lazy to read it
  • Hoping a GUI will get a better response
  • Since it is basic security information, people silly enough to run JRE are a good target audience
  • ALL suggestions are welcome!  I'd really like to replace ZoneAlarm with a free firewall that isn't evil so I am hoping for suggestions on that
  • I'm still researching how to add the icon to the jar  :-\ 

WHAT IT DOES:
Each button either starts the download for a free security application or else it takes them to a site to get the app.
The last button takes them to a page with explanations and other security information.

SCREENSHOT:
[attach=#1][/attach]
Impossible is nothing

Ruffnekk

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Uhm yeah...
    • View Profile
    • RuffNekk's Crypto Pages
    • Donate to Member
Re: FreePcSecurity - v1.00.01 - December 14, 2006
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 01:33 AM »
I've downloaded and ran it on my PC. It runs good, but there's not much to Beta test  :) All links worked and that is good news!
The only problem I see with the layout of your GUI is that is not very extensible. If you would like to add other links in the future, you may run out of space for smaller resolution monitors. My suggestion would be to let us pick a program title from a combobox / dropdownlist. This has the second advantage of being able to display much more and detailed information about the currently selected item. You could place a label under the dropdownlist to show this information. Working this way you would never have to change the look of your application and you can easily add more links to it. I hope you appreciate my critique, I don't want to put you down in any way. The idea is very good!
Regards,
RuffNekk

Programming is an art form that fights back.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 07:59 AM »
I whole heartedly recommend Comodo Firewall. You should take a look at it if you are looking to replace Zone Alarm.

The app looks neat. Good job.

dementedmuppet

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 11:21 AM »
Thanks, tinjaw.  Snapfiles gives Comodo a good rating.

Ruffnekk:  I completely agree with you.  This is not even close to what I intended to do for the app.  The problem is that Java browser launch is not covered in any of the textbooks I have and I am having a difficult time getting it to work.  The only browser launch code that I can get working limits the format to this panel.  Toggling through screens was my first choice of format.  Combo box was second.  Every time I try another layout, the launch stops working.  I'll be spending more quality time with Google. 

Don't worry about hurting my feelings with criticism.   :D

Java is like MS Access... easy to use but inflexible.  The only answer I can find to modifying the icon is 'just like you can't put your own icon on a word document, you can't put your own icon on a jar.'  It is beginning to seem that writing the whole thing in binary would be easier than fighting with Java.
Impossible is nothing
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 03:02 PM by dementedmuppet »

Ruffnekk

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Uhm yeah...
    • View Profile
    • RuffNekk's Crypto Pages
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 03:34 PM »
What program do you use to write Java?

I suggest you take a look at NetBeans. Makes your life a lot easier!
Regards,
RuffNekk

Programming is an art form that fights back.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 11:32 PM »
Nice app, and you're right:  ppl are too lazy to read ;>  I second tinjaw's endorsement of Comodo firewall.  In my book it's the best totally free firewall.  I also recommend Spyware Terminator (which can be configured to run with Clam AV.

manxman21

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 03:35 AM »
kyrathaba.....

i  trust  that  you  did  not  know  that  spyware  terminator   was  on  the  rogue  software  lists  with  spyware  warrior...since  being  de-listed  has  been  heavily  spammed  on  numourous  forums  with  a  great  deal  of  encouragement  from  its  developers....and  i  for  one  do  not  want  an  app  thats  developed  by  a  company  whose  main  objective  is  in  advertising....

please  research  your  recommendations  more  thorouthly  in  future.....

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 03:45 AM »
kyrathaba.....

i  trust  that  you  did  not  know  that  spyware  terminator   was  on  the  rogue  software  lists  with  spyware  warrior...since  being  de-listed  has  been  heavily  spammed  on  numourous  forums  with  a  great  deal  of  encouragement  from  its  developers....and  i  for  one  do  not  want  an  app  thats  developed  by  a  company  whose  main  objective  is  in  advertising....

please  research  your  recommendations  more  thorouthly  in  future.....
I suspect a lot of people aren't aware of that ... could you give us a link there?

quite apart from that, it's not getting very good results - see
http://www.davescomp...tters/20070101.php#2

pity, it was so nice to have auto-updates  :-\
Tom

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 04:07 AM »
Did you research Wilders Security forums for example? Seems Spyware Terminator is high on any "recommended" list - regardless of dark past (Crawler). If I remember correctly they dont try to hide past but claim to have seen the light, check their forum.

Last I tried it program was being updated over and over, people like that - especially when free. Biggest danger is probably it turns payware as their Corporate Edition, or becomes crippled freeware. Lots of features to remove http://www.spywarete...om/app/features.aspx

Lots of other programs encourage users to advertise wherever they are, like http://www.spreadfirefox.com/ Company cant be responsible for users action/spam. 

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 08:57 PM »
What program do you use to write Java?

I suggest you take a look at NetBeans. Makes your life a lot easier!

You beat me to that...NetBeans does great work for GUI's.  At least that is what our college instructor showed us.  I understand Eclipse does as well, but I haven't had time to play with it yet.

-User-

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 03:03 PM »
Another endorsement for Comodo Personal Firewall here - have had experience w/~7 or 8 different firewalls over the last ~4 yrs & nothing else really compares.  Comprehensive control, essentially glitch free, as easy or as complex to use as you want, & it (also Jetico, but it's significantly more difficult to use) blows away all competition @ any price (& it's free).  I love this firewall!

Also gotta highly recommend Spyware Terminator - between it & Comodo, I've never felt more informed or secure.

(Sorta wondering why you chose AVG instead of AntiVir - I realize that people like AVG's GUI, but AntiVir has offered better protection, certainly over the past year or so, & it's not that difficult to figure out.  The only complaint peolple have w/it is that the updates can take forever but that's no problem @ all provided you do it while most of Europe is asleep.)

Cool idea but unfortunately I suspect that the people who need a prg like this to motivate themselves to do some necessary DL'ing will probably also need some help setting things up.  It'll be interesting to see what kind of response it receives tho (I could easily be wrong).

« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 03:05 PM by -User- »

dementedmuppet

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 10:34 AM »
All of the responses are appreciated.  I would really like for the app to have the best freeware security programs.  Everything currently in it is from the website you can access from the last button on the app.  The site belongs to a friend of mine who provides technical and security support to his clients in Southern Ohio.  Since most people don't take the time to help those who lack security knowledge, I've found it was easiest to refer people to his site when they asked for help.

Continued input is certainly welcome since the program will be updated periodically to provide the best free security information available.

I've asked my friend to review your comments and I hope he will provide further input.  It would be nice if more people were like him and benevolently spent the time to provide the type of information available on his site. 
Impossible is nothing

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 01:11 PM »
Did you research Wilders Security forums for example? Seems Spyware Terminator is high on any "recommended" list - regardless of dark past (Crawler). If I remember correctly they dont try to hide past but claim to have seen the light, check their forum.

Last I tried it program was being updated over and over, people like that - especially when free. Biggest danger is probably it turns payware as their Corporate Edition, or becomes crippled freeware. Lots of features to remove http://www.spywarete...om/app/features.aspx

Lots of other programs encourage users to advertise wherever they are, like http://www.spreadfirefox.com/ Company cant be responsible for users action/spam. 

I agree. I use Spyware Terminator from time to time, but I'm still suspicious of its nature due to this unfortunate past. Although the guys are now on the right path, some things on the program don't make feel exactly right...

Anyway, good idea you had there, dementedmuppet. It's perfect for this really lazy people that can't go to a few websites to have an improved security (I'm describing almost all my friends... ;D)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 01:13 PM by Lashiec »

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 01:15 PM »
Lots of other programs encourage users to advertise wherever they are, like http://www.spreadfirefox.com/ Company cant be responsible for users action/spam

Regarding my previous comment about Spyware Terminator:

I wasn't "plugging"/pushing it.  It's just an app I've used with some success at catching problems with.  I like the fact that there are regular updates to the ClamAV definitions.  And, near as I can tell, it's not a rogue application in any sense that I would use the word "rogue".
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 01:17 PM by kyrathaba »

3CISS

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 05:48 PM »
Thank you very much dementedmuppet for all your support. I can't think of words kind enough for your efforts. You have certainly come a long way over the years. Your app looks great in my opinion. Every app has a fan and a heckler. You can expect there to be people who like it and some that don't. I think you've done a wonderful job. It's personalized with your style, who can criticize that? As with any program ever written, it will develop over time. Things don't come over night. My website has grown over the years in style and focus. So I commend you on a job very well done....And again, thanks for supporting my website, it's there for everyone.

prosayist

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 03:15 PM »
-Definitely use "Comodo" (recommended above, recommended again)
-try (maybe as supplement? i.e. 'choose only one of these programs') "AntiVir" (free, oft-updated, very stable anti-virus program)
-add "KeePass" for secure yet convenient storage of passwords
:)

bft_chromeguy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Bugfree Technologies
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2008, 10:18 AM »
Comodo is #1 firewall
don't forget SuperAntiSpyware (SAS)
and TrojanHunter as excellent targeted tools

I HIGHLY recommend allowing an option for your prog to autoupdate with the latest list from your friends site. Would be easy to do, a simple XML file..
http://www.bugfreetech.com - come visit my site