ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2007

FreePcSecurity - v1.00.01 - December 14, 2006

(1/4) > >>

dementedmuppet:
FreePcSecurity - v1.00.01 - December 14, 2006

* First release
* Based on a friend's website
* When I send people with questions to his site, they are too lazy to read it
* Hoping a GUI will get a better response
* Since it is basic security information, people silly enough to run JRE are a good target audience
* ALL suggestions are welcome!  I'd really like to replace ZoneAlarm with a free firewall that isn't evil so I am hoping for suggestions on that
* I'm still researching how to add the icon to the jar  :-\ 

WHAT IT DOES:
Each button either starts the download for a free security application or else it takes them to a site to get the app.
The last button takes them to a page with explanations and other security information.

SCREENSHOT:
[attach=#1][/attach]

Ruffnekk:
I've downloaded and ran it on my PC. It runs good, but there's not much to Beta test  :) All links worked and that is good news!
The only problem I see with the layout of your GUI is that is not very extensible. If you would like to add other links in the future, you may run out of space for smaller resolution monitors. My suggestion would be to let us pick a program title from a combobox / dropdownlist. This has the second advantage of being able to display much more and detailed information about the currently selected item. You could place a label under the dropdownlist to show this information. Working this way you would never have to change the look of your application and you can easily add more links to it. I hope you appreciate my critique, I don't want to put you down in any way. The idea is very good!

tinjaw:
I whole heartedly recommend Comodo Firewall. You should take a look at it if you are looking to replace Zone Alarm.

The app looks neat. Good job.

dementedmuppet:
Thanks, tinjaw.  Snapfiles gives Comodo a good rating.

Ruffnekk:  I completely agree with you.  This is not even close to what I intended to do for the app.  The problem is that Java browser launch is not covered in any of the textbooks I have and I am having a difficult time getting it to work.  The only browser launch code that I can get working limits the format to this panel.  Toggling through screens was my first choice of format.  Combo box was second.  Every time I try another layout, the launch stops working.  I'll be spending more quality time with Google. 

Don't worry about hurting my feelings with criticism.   :D

Java is like MS Access... easy to use but inflexible.  The only answer I can find to modifying the icon is 'just like you can't put your own icon on a word document, you can't put your own icon on a jar.'  It is beginning to seem that writing the whole thing in binary would be easier than fighting with Java.

Ruffnekk:
What program do you use to write Java?

I suggest you take a look at NetBeans. Makes your life a lot easier!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version