topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Backup Revision Folder  (Read 49172 times)

brett

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Australia
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Backup Revision Folder
« on: December 15, 2006, 06:57 AM »
Small Update,
It seems like you continually poll files for their last-modify timestamp?
yes, BRF does poll the file to check for changes, but the poll time can be set in preferences to anything you want. It does not appear to effect CPU to much even when set down to every three seconds, but bump it out to hours if you need to.

Version 2.1
+ Added Folder Size to Control Panel, to keep an eye on backup folder size
* changed 'Last saved date' to 'Last edited date' (text only)
+ Added new Tray menu command 'Check now'

'Check Now' allows the user to either
a) Turn off monitoring via tray menu, and hit 'Check Now' when they want to check files
b) Via Preferences, make check time a lot (21600=6hrs) and press 'Check now' to force a update

BRF Tray 2.1.png

BRF Folder size 2.1.png

Version 2
Backup Revision Files v2  (new name, was Backup Revision Folder)

Program Description
Ever made a mess of a file by saving something you were not meant to, and not being able to undo the disaster you created.
I have, lots of times. so i went in search on Google for a simple 'incremental revision save' of files.
I struggled to find something that was simple, quick, easy to use, 1 minute setup.

Added to v2
+ Choose what files you want monitored, in any folder.
+ Files now monitored by timedate stamp (was archive bit)
+ Control Panel to add/remove monitored files
+ Control Panel to show History, Run File, Explore folder
+ Preference to choose backup location
+ Preference to choose frequency check

What it Does

Backup Revision Files monitors the user selected files for a 'file save' and prompts the user for some text input.
This Text is the appended to a historylog file and a backup is made of the 'saved file' with a timedate stamp added.

What are the typical uses of Backup Revision Folder for
  • Essays
  • Scripting
  • Documents
  • Coding
  • Cad and Drawing

BRFv2 can be installed/copied to any folder you choose. (old version monitored folder, not applicable now)
Upon executing, BRF will check a subfolder, called 'links'

The links folder will hold a shortcut for each file that you want to monitor.
BRF checks that the 'shortcut' and the 'monitored file' are in sync.
If they are not the same modified timestamp. Prompt the user for History Text and save backup. then sync Shortcut timestamp.
Cancel button will just sync timestamp. (no backup)

Runs standalone, so can be run from thumbdrive.
13_01_2007 , 9_47_26 PM  Screenshot.png

13_01_2007 , 9_48_45 PM  Screenshot.png

13_01_2007 , 9_49_30 PM  Screenshot.png
Layout
Backup Revision Files.exe
     |
     -- Links (subfolder)

MyDocuments
     |
     -- Backup Revision Files (subfolder)
          |
          -- File Name (Backups and HistoryLog.txt)

And its still EASY 2 USE.   :)

Of course, all comments and suggestions welcome.
The AHK script is attached, and I hope people can contribute and improve this for all.

brett
formerly dB(doublebogey)

Version 1 Info
Spoiler
    Backup Revision Folder v1b5 - 1st January 2007.

Program Description
    Ever made a mess of a file by saving something you were not meant to, and not being able to undo the disaster you created.
    I have, lots of times. so i went in search on Google for a simple 'incremental revision save' of files.

To my disappointment, most systems just seemed to complex for what I needed.
    There are a number of application like Subversion, Clearcase, StarTeam, Perforce etc, and I am sure each one does a excellent job.
    But I don't work in a team, or have the desire to setup up a client/server. Booking In/Out is not required. and I don't always have access to the internet.
    I just wanted something really, really simple. To work as a standalone, small, single user. Did I mention Simple, like 123 simple.

'Backup Folder Revision' is a single exe file that can be used standalone.

When you use the installer file, it creates a subdirectory in Program Files, called 'Backup Folder Revision'
    but you can always copy the exe file to a thumb drive or any other folder.

Features
    What File Revision Folder does when executed and running

•     * Use the Tray menu to select files to be monitored
    •     * When a monitored files is saved, Prompt the user with a interface to enter a brief description.
    •     * Save a copy of the changed file to the folder MyDocuments/Backup Revision Folder/example/example 2007_01_01 09_30.???
    •     * Append to a historylog  file, the users popup interface, saved in MyDocuments/Backup Revision Folder/example/example_HistoryLog.txt
    •     * And most importantly, it is simple. Simple enough for kids and grandparents to use. ABC simple.

Configuration via Tray Icon allows
    • user to choose any file, anywhere to monitor.
    • pause/continue monitoring
    • the user to choose a Backup Directory.

You can now continue to work on your original master file, knowing that there is a version saved to a backup folder.

You can run Backup Revision Folder.exe straight from a Thumb drive folder,
    which means it will save a version of the changed file to the current machines mydocuments folder. (or configured location)

The thumb drive is one of the main reasons I created 'Backup Revision Folder', was because I am always worried i will
        * - loose the thing, they are just to small.
        * - damage the Thumb drive, step on, drowning. etc
        * - corrupt memory, no warning, and how many of us really backup a thumb drive properly.
    so Backup Revision Folder should be invaluable to a thumbdrive and people who carry and edit their documents on Portable Drives

What are the typical uses of Backup Revision Folder for
    • Essays
    • Scripting
    • Documents
    • Coding
    • Cad and Drawing

User Prompt
    26_12_2006 , 8_31_19 AM  Screenshot.pngBackup Revision Folder

Tray Menu
    28_12_2006 , 11_37_24 PM  Screenshot.pngBackup Revision Folder

Of course, all comments and suggestions welcome.

brett
    formerly dB(doublebogey)

Downloadfile
    [/list]

« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 06:05 AM by brett »

mouser

• First Author
    • Administrator
    • Joined in 2005
      • View Profile
      • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
      • Read more about this member.
      • Donate to Member
    Re: File Revision Folder
    « Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 01:05 PM »
    great idea..
    i can think of one major feature that would be nice:
    let user configure where to save revisions - especially in a subdirectory of current folder - i would even prefer that much by default.

ie you run it in a directory X and all revisions are saved automatically to X\Revisions\...

brett

• Charter Member
    • Joined in 2005
    • Australia
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 03:32 PM »
    Hi Mouser

great idea..
    i can think of one major feature that would be nice:
    let user configure where to save revisions - especially in a subdirectory of current folder - i would even prefer that much by default.

ie you run it in a directory X and all revisions are saved automatically to X\Revisions\...

That was exactly the setup I used when I first started, but ran into trouble with a thumb drive.
    I did not want to keep the revisions on the thumb drive, for my own saftey. :)
    Because one of the main aims was to have this as NON-configurable. I decided that a subdirectory of MyDocs would be the best place.

After the challenge, I will do two versions if thats Ok.
    Non-Configurable. * for family and others that do not use preferences.  ABC,123 Simple :huh:
    Configurable. * set directories,  multiple directories, customise historylog, etc

Thanks always
    ..dB..
    doublebogey

mouser

• First Author
    • Administrator
    • Joined in 2005
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 05:10 PM »
    I did not want to keep the revisions on the thumb drive, for my own saftey.

by safety i assume you mean that the point of this was to keep the backups on a separate drive in case the current drive fails.  that makes sense.

umeca74

• Joined in 2006
    • default avatar
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    Re: Backup Revision Folder
    « Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 06:36 AM »
    this reminds me of a tool called "keepit" (http://www.keep-it.com/) which was the exact kind of thing you were after. It was perfect for one man shows, but sadly it is no longer developed and doesn't run properly in XP SP2. I had to turn to tortoiseSVN which is total overkill. I'll have a go with yours and give you my feedback

longrun

• Charter Member
    • Joined in 2005
    • default avatar
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 07:32 PM »
    If this doesn't meet your needs try Vcom's AutoSave2; it's saved my life several times. Just the other day my Quicken data wouldn't load, and I easily restored the most recent version using AutoSave.

brett

• Charter Member
    • Joined in 2005
    • Australia
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 02:14 PM »
    Hi All

v2 is nearly finished, with just some testing to be done.

If this doesn't meet your needs try Vcom's AutoSave2
    Autosave2 is primarily a instant backup program, and although BRF essentially does the same, I added a history log.
    Each time BRF detects a file change, the user is prompted to add some comments. These comments are added to a text file (log).
    So when things go bad, the user can check the history file to see when they last saved a good copy. My main intention for this app was for when heavy editing of files, I use a dedicated Backup program to save my Main Data, and BRF for when I am busy editing.

this reminds me of a tool called "keepit" (http://www.keep-it.com/) which was the exact kind of thing you were after
    Yep, thats the sort of application that I was looking for, and if I had found it, I probably would of used it.
    But now I am this far, and intend to improve a little as I learn more, I will be in for the long haul.

Brett

brett

• Charter Member
    • Joined in 2005
    • Australia
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 06:06 AM »
    See top(1st)  post for Version 2

Complete change to version 1,
    and will start on a few more features for ver 3, mainly eye candy.

would appreciate if someone can tell me what CPU it consumes, as I have no idea how to test for it other then the usual.

Thanks
     Brett

mouser

• First Author
    • Administrator
    • Joined in 2005
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 06:44 AM »
    Wow looking amazing  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

I think it's time for you to create a pad file and a proper web page for this.

umeca74

• Joined in 2006
    • default avatar
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 06:51 AM »
    here's my feedback for your v2

I added a file called "New file" to be monitored. It picked up the changes ok. The "Open run master file" button didn't seem to do anything.

now here are a few items to be taken as constructive criticism :)

* have the option instead of automatic backups to make backups "on demand" (how a normal repository engine would work). When my day is through I want to store the changes

* allow whole folders (with subfolders) to be added for monitoring

* some structure in your "backup" folder will be necessary especially when a lot of items are monitored, eg one subfolder per item tracked

* this keep-it tool would store the revisions into a single compressed file, which isn't a bad idea (eg compound storage)

Anyway it looks like i'm missing the functionality of "keep-it" too much and your tool is catering for different needs. Perhaps I'll write my own one day  8-O

good starting point though!
    nikos

brett

• Charter Member
    • Joined in 2005
    • Australia
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 07:46 AM »
    Thanks for your feedback nikos. much appreciated.

I added a file called "New file" to be monitored. It picked up the changes ok. The "Open run master file" button didn't seem to do anything.
    Open/Run master file. should run the files associated program. ie   sample.html opens in Thunderbird   sample.doc opens Word   sample.pdf opens acrobat reader.
    If this is not happening, let me know.

now here are a few items to be taken as constructive criticism
    I have never used a revision system, so I am hoping for constructive criticism.   :P

* have the option instead of automatic backups to make backups "on demand" (how a normal repository engine would work). When my day is through I want to store the changes
    Sounds good, will try to implement. In the meantime, you should be able to 'pause monitoring' via the Tray. and then 'start monitoring' at the end of the day. this should cycle through each file that has changed and prompt for input . *untested*
    I have the unique ability to break something very quickly, hence the live monitoring, and multiple saves per hour.

* allow whole folders (with subfolders) to be added for monitoring
    this is probably above what I intended this to be used for, I was after a simple way to monitor around 4-5 files i was working on.  I am not sure how live monitoring of 100+ files would impact on CPU usage etc.

* some structure in your "backup" folder will be necessary especially when a lot of items are monitored, eg one subfolder per item tracked
    yes, at present, each file monitored creates its own folder in the backup directory. but I will give it some more thought.

* this keep-it tool would store the revisions into a single compressed file, which isn't a bad idea (eg compound storage)
    another good idea, but is not possible in AHK without some additional files, and more experience then what i have.  :)

Thanks for feedback
    Brett

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
    • Joined in 2005
    • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
      • View Profile
      • f0dder's place
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 09:04 AM »
    this is probably above what I intended this to be used for, I was after a simple way to monitor around 4-5 files i was working on.  I am not sure how live monitoring of 100+ files would impact on CPU usage etc.
    It seems like you continually poll files for their last-modify timestamp?

I don't know how easy this is to use from AHK, but windows supports "file change notifications", so you don't have to continually poll. Iirc it's slightly clunky to work with, but it might be worth looking into.
    - carpe noctem

jonno

• Supporting Member
    • Joined in 2006
    • default avatar
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 08:57 AM »
    this reminds me of a tool called "keepit" (http://www.keep-it.com/) which was the exact kind of thing you were after. It was perfect for one man shows, but sadly it is no longer developed and doesn't run properly in XP SP2. I had to turn to tortoiseSVN which is total overkill. I'll have a go with yours and give you my feedback

Hi,

In what way doen't it work in XP. I found that it indeed won't install properly. It put's two dll's and an inf file in the folder: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ShellExt
    The dll's won't register on install, but if you register them manually keep-it seems to work ok.

BTW: are you aware of VCS lite: http://www.acaciacon.../vcslite/vcslite.htm
    It also let's you keep revision of files in a compressed archive.

Regards,
    John

umeca74

• Joined in 2006
    • default avatar
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 12:18 PM »
    on my *SP2* keepit invariably either fails to take snapshots or can't browse into snapshots for anything that resembles a large collection of files.

thanks for the vcslite link, it looks interesting, although i'll be really upset if that thing turns out to be good, now that i've changed every project of mine into tortoiseSVN  :mad: :)

on face value though it only deals with individual files, not whole folders

brett

• Charter Member
    • Joined in 2005
    • Australia
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #14 on: February 10, 2007, 05:57 AM »
    Small update
    Version 2.1
    + Added Folder Size to Control Panel
    * changed 'Last saved date' to 'Last edited date' (text only)
    + Added new Tray menu command 'Check Now'

see 1st post for new file.

Thanks
     Brett

all comments, suggestions and improvements welcome.
    « Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 06:04 AM by brett »

HankFriedman

• Supporting Member
    • Joined in 2006
    • A computer nerd whose also a psychic & astrologer
      • View Profile
      • Welcome to Hank Friedman's Website
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 10:21 AM »
    Is it possible to select all files in a folder that have a specific extension, so that the program automatically monitors and backs up changes of that file type?

That would be much more protective, in case a user doesn't remember to add a file to your listing.

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
    • Joined in 2005
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #16 on: June 03, 2007, 06:36 AM »
    These are incremental file/folder revision backup programs mentioned in the July, 2006 issue of PCWorld:

NTI Shadow 3 <http://www.ntius.com/shadow.asp>, and
    Stardock KeepSafe <http://www.stardock.com/products/keepsafe/>.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here?
    Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad T530 (Win 7 Pro > Win 10 Pro).

urlwolf

• Charter Member
    • Joined in 2006
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #17 on: June 03, 2007, 06:50 AM »
    quick question... is Backup Revision Folder overlapping the functionality in filehamster? If so, what are the advantages of Backup Revision Folder over filehamster?

brett

• Charter Member
    • Joined in 2005
    • Australia
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #18 on: June 03, 2007, 07:17 AM »
    FileHampster is excellent. I wish I had found it before I tried to roll my own. I guess one advantage is that if you know AHK you can alter it to suit your needs.

Is it possible to select all files in a folder that have a specific extension, so that the program automatically monitors and backs up changes of that file type?

That would be much more protective, in case a user doesn't remember to add a file to your listing.
    -HankFriedman (May 31, 2007, 10:21 AM)

sounds like a great idea, i will see what I can do.

Brett

Liquidmantis

• Supporting Member
    • Joined in 2007
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #19 on: September 10, 2007, 11:39 AM »
    Another contender in this space, and the one I bought some time ago, is AJC Soft's Active Backup.  It monitors specified locations for specified file types and versions them automatically at save time.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
    • Joined in 2007
    • default avatar
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 01:53 AM »
    Thanks Brett, I just lost a few hours of essay writing, and word failed to save it all, so ive downloaded your fine little program and it works a treat   :)

I'll be sure to hurl some credits your way when next i have some  :-[