ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I wish there was some way to Encrypt my bike so it won't be stolen

<< < (2/4) > >>

Gothi[c]:
Where I live in Holland, its quite normal to have your bike stolen once a month. And I wish I was kidding. But then again, the general policy is too just steal someone else's *G*

--- End quote ---

This is true, in Belgium (Holland's neighbor)it is the same way.
This is NOT a joke, after getting his bike stolen many times, a friend of mine decided to report it to the police. The police officer said, "oh just go steal yourself a new one at the station, there's plenty there." In Belgium bicycles are like public property nowadays, if you need one you just grab the first one you see. I also had my bike stolen many times, I also tried to go to the police with it once, because it was a particular expensive one, but they just laughed at me pretty much. They told me to go check out the 'found property' once a month where you can get one for free if you just say it's yours, and that was pretty much it.

Deozaan:
Yikes that's scary news. I've heard of people (in the USA) that bought really nice bikes but just wrapped them up with Duct Tape so they looked old and falling apart, and those bikes never got stolen.

Can't say that would work in a country where the police tell you to just steal someone else's.

mouser:
Gothic, rofl  ;D

f0dder:
Yup, my (locked) bike was stolen in broad daylight, and I was only away from it for an hour.

Had to buy a new one, since otherwise I'd have no way to get to work (no public transportation going on at four in the morning, and ~12km was too long to walk) - so I borrowed some money from my girlfriend and got a nice new bike. And finally got my act together and signed up for some insurance.

Now the funny part... after a month or so, I got a letter from the police, they had found my old bike. Still in good condition, only the saddle was ruined and it was a bit dirty. And still locked. Pretty weird stuff. But it's nice enough having an extra bike, in case my new one gets stolen >_<

As for police laughing at you, I once turned in a wallet with money in. The police officer asked me if I was stupid since I hadn't grabbed the money myself... I'm pretty sure the owner of the purse got his purse and credit cards etc. back, but I'm also pretty sure mister cop had a 'bonus' that month.

app103:
I have had 2 bikes stolen over the years...both from my basement.

The first one was an old vintage 10 speed from the 70's made by KIA (yeah, they make cars now)
It was locked and chained to a pole. They took the bike and left the lock.

The second one was really weird...

Someone stole our snow shovel...then 6 months later they returned it and took a bike...

They stole my husband's brand new 10 speed racing bike and left a falling apart one in its place...without a front wheel and the back tire was flat. It wasn't a complete theft...it was an unauthorized trade.   :o

Funny that they never seem to want my expensive 12 speed mountain bike with the hideous double basket contraption on the back.  ;D

But someone did steal the milk crate that was attached to the basket thing...and the bungee cords that were holding it in place.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version