ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Warning: FireFox renders slow like a turtle in a coma

(1/3) > >>

mouser:
Since i've started using firefox more and more i've noticed that on long forum threads the difference in loading/rendering time for a page seems like it can be hugely slower than rendering in IE (i'm talking like 20x slower).

Now this may be because i have plenty of extensions loaded - i'm not sure, but the difference in painful and not cool.

Does anyone know any benchmarking pages on different rendering speeds of the current crop of browsers?

Before you opera nut jobs post a reply, yes i know opera is fast like a track star.. I may try operat again next..

dk70:
You think repeating same object/script/whatever a gazillion times to show a numerical difference would answer why Firefox is 20x slower? Forget about browser benchmarks. Judge from experience, like you have done. I browse a lot of forums so would change to IE in a flash if I had to live with general problems of this kind. Anyone would so may be there is a problem to be fixed? 8) Open error console, sometimes point directly at problematic extension. List extensions, may be problem is known, being fixed. Many of them are buggy as hxxx though I have no idea what could cause this. Clean profile should not have problem of course, does it?

Lots of minor bugfixes in 2.0.1 which is close to release. May be try it out ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/2.0.0.1-candidates/rc3 but I doubt it will help.

mouser:
i should say i'm still using FF 1.05.08

dk70:
Should not matter - except you miss the little extra speed in 2. On a noticable and similar level as IE6 vs. IE7 to my eyes. Dont need benchmarks for proof. And a billion bugfixes of course. You could see problem fixed in 2. Strange things can happen, didnt Firefox use to have some scripting problem with SMF forum? Was going into loop trashing servers? You only see zzzzz on this SMF forum or does it go for phpbb, vB as well? Check SMF site if not. Many people should be screaming. Ive not tried 1.5 vs. SMF 1.1 so cant tell. Anyway, best way is to exclude. Clean profile will point finger at extensions, perhaps extension mix - or not.

user_pref("extensions.checkCompatibility", false);
Throw that line in user.js so all extensions will "work", dump new 2.0.1 zipfile into Firefox folder. Easy to upgrade. Cant really think of any reason not to. Most gadgets have been upgraded by now.

f0dder:
Must be some extensions playing tricks, mouser.

FireFox rendering does seem a slightly tiny bit slower than IE, but not much, and I've only seen very seldomly, and only while scrolling up and down, up and down, up and down...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version