ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

customizing running services on different XP logins

(1/3) > >>

superboyac:
On my laptop, I use it for two purposes:  as a media player for my TV and also for playing live music at gigs.  For the music gigs, I really need to make sure there are no extra things running on the computer and the resources are as free as possible.  For media, it's the opposite, where a whole slew of things are running.  If I create a different login, can I customize which services I run on each login.  If I disable a bunch of services in one profile, it doesn't affect the other login, does it?

f0dder:
I'm pretty sure services are global... iirc they're under HKLM, which isn't per-user.

But you could make some script (or even batch file) to easily disable the services you don't need - see the commands "net start" and "net stop".

superboyac:
dang, I was afraid of that.  Maybe there's a software out there that already does this, that is, customize running services per login.  I'll take a look.

superboyac:
I'm not having much luck finding a program that will customize startup services per user.  But I had another idea, if anyone could offer suggestions, that would be great:

Is there a program out there that will allow me to turn off a whole slew of services upon startup?  That way, I can just stick it as a shortcut in the startup folder and it will run at logon, and turn off all the specified services.  That would be one way to do it, right?

f0dder:
Is there a program out there that will allow me to turn off a whole slew of services upon startup?  That way, I can just stick it as a shortcut in the startup folder and it will run at logon, and turn off all the specified services.  That would be one way to do it, right?
-superboyac (December 14, 2006, 01:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yep. Make a batch file or autohotkey/autoit/whatever script, and set it up so it runs it after some delay (some services take a bit of time starting).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version